Unit 15 3rd Archery Hunt

R

runninlopes8

I have hunted this Unit with a muzzleloader before and was wondering if I could get any tips for the archery hunt. I know there is a lot of elk in there but not sure if they are in the same area during the muzzle hunt. I plan on doing some scouting next month as well as August. Not looking for GPS spots just some general ideas. Since this is a Q/HD hunt I dont ever expect to draw it again so I want to take care of business any info would help

Thanks

I'd say this unit stays pretty much the same for both muzzle loader and bow hunts. The areas hunters find bulls in during the bow hunts are alot of the same areas muzzle loader hunters do as well. I like the west side of the highway(old 15b) but a few buddies prefer the east side. Theres elk through out the entire unit , even the NM/AZ state line of pj flats can hold a bunch of elk , even more so if the monsoons hit late Aug /early Sept.Congrats on a great tag , it was on our apps too , 01 was the last time I hunted elk there, though I grew up in Gallup and 15 was once not so popular and an easier draw.I'd call the game warden down there too , he'll be getting lots of calls and he'll be repeating his own words over and over , but you may get another feel for the unit. Again congrats ...

NMHUNTNUTTG,

Thanks for the response. Your info is valuable. Last time I was there we hunted the eastern sided of the highway and we were not disapointed but I have seen some monsters by Mangas area. Is it worth it to hunt around the lake?

Thanks

That's a great hunt. You might try to hunt near the four way at Slaughter Mesa. Get up early and listen for bugles before daylight. Then try and determine the route the elk are taking to bed. You need a good pair of boots the ground is loaded with lava rock. Watching the wind is more important then making noise. Try to intercept a herd as they head for bedding areas. Elk may exit in any direction from the many large open areas located north and west of Slaughter Mesa. Hope that helps and Good Hunting!

Thanks for the info!!!! Im heading out next weekend to take a look. Might as well do some fishing at the lake with the family. I'll post pics if I see anything.

Thanks again

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom