Unit 43 migration

Thunderclapper

I scouted a really good deer in 43 over the weekend, but several people have told me the deer move out of that unit early, even before the general hunt starts. Harvest data shows a lot of bucks being killed. On the opener are you guys finding some of the same deer you scouted earlier in the season?

storms come in, deer move out. doesnt look like we'll have nasty weather for the beginning of the season...hunt it hard.

I scouted that area in the summer before and found bachelor groups at the highest elevations during August.
By October when I went back there were never there.
Just relaying my own experience.

I imagine some years depending on the weather and moisture frosts etc. the bucks may stay on top into October.

That area is no different regarding the migration time than other Idaho areas with big mountains.

Thanks for the info. I've been getting a wide range of opinions on this topic and I appreciate your input. A good friend of mine scouted 2 200"+ deer over the years, he returned and shot them opening morning. Others I have spoken with can't find the deer they've scouted. I guess a little luck never hurts.

It probably depends on when people find them in the summer. I would say if a guy spots a buck in early July the chances could be slim that the same buck would be in that exact area in October depending on food and water. If you spot a buck in mid september to late september your chances finding him on October 10 might be better if archery elk hunters didn't bump him out. I also recall reading in Public Land Mulies that he would see bucks disappear until the last week of the season when pressure backed off.

As the season gets closer more hunters are up ther looking and they might be bumping those bucks and they are moving out of the area.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Migration pattens have changed over the last several years. Used to see plenty of bucks up there well into october. Not so much now. I'll say the last time I hunted the opener up in the 43 high country, We saw bucks. That was in '08. Killed a real good buck up there on Oct 26 in '05.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom