Unit 44 elk

Abiggerfish2fry

Very Active Member
I drew a Elk Super Tag this year and was wondering if anyone has any info on this unit and the Elk? I drew this tag 5 years ago and hunted 54 and 41 and 46 and 40 and never got out too 44, but Fishing Game last time not pass up 44 because there some nice Elk in this unit! I don't need anyones honey but just want to see if anyone has been on the early hunt and how it was.. thanks for any info. Joe

Not sure I would make this my choice. I've spent some time in this unit as my buddy drew deer in 2013 and 2015. Lot's of scouting and hunting during rut times and few big bulls spotted during many many hours of glassing.

It's a good tag to have, but if I were looking for the unit with the best chance for a truly large bull on SH Tag I think some of the more southern units may be better choices.

Finding the elk here isn't super hard so you will have some time to scout. As in many of the better elk units, some private ground provides some haven for the big guys.

Ya i agree...if i had your luck with super tags..44 would be far from my list..I grew up right next to it, and know multiple people who have had the tag. I dont put in for it for a reason. If you have horses and knowledge of the unit, yes you can get into nice bulls. But for a supertag...i would be focusing on the units you have already mentioned if you want a nice bull...I know i would be living in 54...400+ come out of there basically every year. Or waiting till the 46 late tag kicks in and hunting that as well, but I wouldnt waste me effort in 44 unless you just wanna have a fun elk hunt and dont care about bull size, which i doubt is your objective with basically the best possible elk tag in Idaho

Yeah I think your right Brian!
I just think I will stick with either 40 or 54! By the way did you or your kids draw anymore super tags since I drew one 5 years ago?

Yep, 54 all the way.

I'd pick two units out of the top 5 and hammer them all fall. But I'm sure by now you have it down!

No more SH tags for my boys. Too much pressure....

I recommend looking to see if you can find any good quality early season units, that don't have OTC archery and start posting for reports back on guys scouting and finding monster bulls. People will share when it's unrealistic they can draw.

Truly big bulls in Idaho take as much luck as it does hard work and time. Or access to huge private ranches.

Would certainly be a blast going from early to late trying though. I do prefer hunting later, as 800lbs of hair and meat is much less stressful at 32deg than 92deg.

Look forward to seeing pics.

Yeah I have decided it is going to be 54 muzzy first and if I can't find a 350 plus bull I will hunt 54 late and 41 where I shot my last bull! I will let all the other super tag holders go to 40 for the early hunt, last time I went to 40 and seen all but one tag holder and all of them filled there tags there except 3 of us! Don't get me wrong it was awesome having the Bulls screaming in your face but I just didn't see anything big at that time..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom