Unit 45 Elk or other options?

huntfishall1

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-17 AT 06:06PM (MST)[p]Looking at possibly cashing in my 9 NR pref points this coming year. I have a list of units I'm debating applying for and trying to narrow it down. I'll be applying in the special $$$ drawing. I'm never going to be at max points and I'd like to use my points so I can hunt general units again soon (with friends that have little to no pref points currently) - I hunted a general unit DIY in 2011 on a second choice tag and had a nice hunt.

Any advice on Unit 45? I've looked at the drawing odds, harvest reports, maps, searched various forums and read past post on the unit already. I know about the wilderness part which is a negative for me since I'm a NR DIY. Looks like there are cow elk tags too, plus about 300+ deer hunters each fall that overlap the first part of the rifle elk hunt. I'd love to shoot a monster but probably be happy if I get to see plenty of elk during the hunt including nice bulls and just end up shooting a 300+" near the end of the hunt if nothing else bigger shows.

I'm looking for experience with weather in the unit/area during Oct 15- Nov 4, herd size, migration timing out of the scapegoat wilderness, etc.. Any perspective would be appreciated to help me decide to apply or not.

If you bow hunt and can hunt the September archery season, I would highly recommend that unit from past experience helping others up there in 2014 and 2015. IMHO even though it's a huge unit they issue way too many rifle tags and from what others have told me that have hunted the rifle season they claim it's a zoo. The weather also comes a lot more into play during the rifle season and can have a very negative influence by shutting down a lot of access into the better parts of it. There is really no reason to go into the wilderness to have a great hunt up there. We were into plenty of elk both years and were never more than 3 miles from the main highway. Both guys should have had nice bulls well over 300" and both missed their shots!

I've hunted it a couple times and I agree.

There are bulls well over 300 for sure but don't count on one. I didn't have hunter pressure problems but I hunted the last week of season. a few hunters but not a problem really.

Most years the elk come down low late in the season and you don't need to go into the scapegoat to find them. early on they're everywhere so don't rule anything out.

If you want to go DIY and are short of max points 45 is as good as anywhere I know of. good access, plenty of elk and no bear.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Scapegoat Wilderness? In Area 45
>in Wyo?

The Cloud Peak Wilderness covers a relatively small part along the east side of elk unit 45 in Wyoming that we're talking about.

I said scapegoat as well but yes it Cloud peak.

The could peak isn't huge buy it's not tiny, about 200,000 acres as I recall. the problem with it is early in the season the elk can hang up there above timberline. I saw a few hundred there right before elk season when I was moose hunting. the biggest elk I've ever seen in 45 were there as well. so don't write it off as no place important. it depends.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom