Unit 45 elk tag

ironranger

A friend and I drew an elk tag for Unit 45. Non res so we'll be hunting the non wilderness areas. Hoping to get out there a few days before the bow season starts to scout it out. Anyone have any tips/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

You should see plenty of elk and as long as you're not expecting a booner you should have a great hunt.

Since you're a NR if you don't want to drag all your camping gear along I'd book a spot at Dear Haven before it fills up. it's a no brainer that's what I'm doing next time I draw.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanx 440, expectations on size are minimal. As long as I'm seeing elk I'll be happy. Where/what is Dear Haven?? hotel?

You should find plenty of elk, finding bulls over 300 is the tough part.

Deer Haven was being worked on the last time I was there and it's right at the start of the main access road you're going to use. beyond that is Lilly Lake and the Sitting Bull area you may hunt also. camping is great and all but at 8000 feet in late October a cabin looks good to me.

http://www.lodgesofthebighorns.com/deerhavenlodge.html

Stay thirsty my friends

440---He will be bow hunting the last half of September and will probably want to camp back in the hunt area. I mentioned that general area to him in a PM recently, but never thought about Deer Haven as a place to stay in the event he doesn't tag out and goes back for the October rifle hunt. The place is open now as I was by there on the way back home the second week of November last year. That would probably be the best place to stay that is close to the hunt area if you don't want to camp out.

Its been about 15 years since I hunted that area, but I hunted in more snow in September than in November the four years I lived and hunted the area. I don't know how much things have changed, but found the area received relatively little pressure off the roads, even during the rifle hunt. I'll pm some suggestions as long as you remember they may be well outdated...

Yeah in September camping wouldn't be bad most years, though the year my wife had her moose tag there it snowed 1 1/2' and got to single digits on October 2nd.

I'm not sure short of going into the Scapegoat how far you're really going to get from Deer Haven though.

Stay thirsty my friends

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom