unit 48 antelope

5point

I'm lookin for a little more info on unit 48 for antelope. I've got a type 1 tag, drew a simpson permit and also got a hanna and a muddy permit. ordered my map and have been checking it out. I would like to hold out for a booner. is a booner a possible up there? and kinda of looking for a starting point? are the hunt management areas any good? what kind of quality am i lookin at in this unit? I'm going to skip the opener lookin to start huntin around oct 1st. any info would be greatly appreciated. i would glady help anyone out around my neck of the woods here in western slope of colorado.

My Dad and I have spent about 10 seasons hunting area 48...type 2. We're not trophy hunters. We've seen lots of goats during those seasons and have not seen but one or two that may score higher than 75 inches. My Dad lucked out one year and came across a goat that had 16 1/4" horns. He didn't have a ton of mass....just extremely tall. He never had him scored. We always hunt north of Hanna...near Leo. We don't have to hunt public land and really don't know how much there is there. I do know that there are a lot of private around where we hunt. The deal with goats is that most ranchers will give you access if you ask. They really just want your $13 voucher and maybe a small trespass fee.
We hunted 48 last year and the herd was the worst we have ever seen. It was like the goat population was cut by 75% compared to all of the past years. We also had doe tags as well and were not able to fill those if you can believe that. It was very disappointing. Not sure why and none of the ranchers knew why either. It was the weirdest thing. I'd make a call to the local Game and Fish and ask them about populations before you pick an area to hunt. I wish you luck on your hunt.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

I filled all my tags last year in 48 with just a little walking. You should have no trouble shooting a 12" buck, 15" not likely.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom