Utah elk

O

OHbowhntr

Two good friends of mine just bought Muzz tags for Utah. They have good access to some ranches in Chalk Creek. We've never hunted Utah and were hoping to get any information on what we should expect. They will be hunting the early part of November (6th through 14th?). Let's hear it. Thanks.

Chalk Creek is some of the most beautiful elk country in the state! I don't know anything about the hunting up there on private land, but above there on the national forest is pretty tough hunting.

It's an open bull unit and gets hit pretty hard from mid August until Nov. through the muzzle loader hunt.

It's fairly high elevation around 8000' to 10,000'. I'd get started on your running program as soon as possible :)

The terrain ranges from open meadow, to scrub oak, to thick pine forests to quakie stands. You can probably hunt through all those types of areas in a mile or two depending on where you have permission to hunt.

Don't forget to watch the brush in the rock slide areas for elk when it snows. For some reason elk seem to go high into the cliffs and rocks when it first starts snowing up around there.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom