Utah point structure change??

huntzall

Are they changing the way the point system works? I heard that they are talking about letting you use your deer points for elk and elk for deer etc. etc.

IS THIS TRUE???

+1 Robb

Ridiculous, outrageous, unbelievable!

I'm sure everyone in the world can see the can-o-worms that would rain down upon us if this ever came to fruition.

Points creep would become even creepier.

Zeke

Anyone who thinks that something like this won't happen at some point is fooling themselves. Anyone can see that the point creep begs a change. Can you imagine a 14 year old trying to put in for a LE rifle elk tag next year..?? They would draw it right around age 38 unless they win the lottery. And forget about ever getting a Henry's tag, or Paunsagaunt, or even Book Cliffs for that matter... 11 Bonus Pts will get you a rifle Book Cliffs tag next year, add that 11 to a point creep number of 5, and that 14 year old will draw at age 30... For a BC deer tag..!!

It's coming at some point. And don't think that "fairness" will play into it. I only hope I will have my BP burned before it happens.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-13 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]I don't know what you're talking about its easy to get tags in Utah. I drew the Henries with one point, Willard peak goat with two, and my brother drew wasatch rifle elk with zero points. Are you sure you're filling out your application correctly?

Sorry......I had to do it!

marley,
You're a jerk sometimes! LOL^^^^^

So BR, is it a horrible thing for a kid to wait a decade or two for a great permit? Holy shiite man, everyone else has!!!! (except marely)

If you're predict it will happen, I'll predict it won't.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-13 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]I wish they would do something with the OIL points. My suggestion is that they do a OIL point that you can use to apply for any one of the OIL species, still only one per year though. I have 17 Desert sheep points. I am not really as interested in hunting them now as I was 18 years ago when I started to apply. I would prefer to apply for a different species but I am point locked on DS. I think peoples tastes change and it would be nice to be able to switch.

Are you a Utah resident? Cause as a nonresident, I can buy points for multiple species, and it sucks! If you are a resident, be careful what you ask for as you might get it!

My dream is to hunt elk in Utah someday, but when they opened it up so that I can apply for deer and elk, my odds went into the toilet. For the hunts that I was applying for (elk) the number of hunters applying for those tags more than doubled.

The change I would like to see is to be able to APPLY for mulitple POINTS, but only apply for one hunt/tag. That way the state gets more money, you can apply for a point on a species you want to hunt someday, but your odds would be much better for the tag you want today.

If they allowed to DRAW more than one tag, it might be OK the way it is. But if you draw one tag, you are out of the drawing for any others you applied for. For example, deer is drawn first. So if I was to draw a deer tag, I could NOT draw an elk tag. That is why I put in for a Henry's tag for deer. That is the one tag that is worth giving up a chance at an elk tag. But that makes the Henry's odds suck even more! If they allowed it, I would apply for a deer point and an elk tag. Better for everyone as I see it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

GENERALLY I don't frequent the Utah forum, and I have never hunted in Utah, but I GENERALLY apply for elk and deer there, so any points rules change would be of interest to me GENERALLY.

So, in GENERAL, I disagree with your assesment.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

It wouldn't bother me one bit if they just called them "l.e." points. In the current system, once you start building deer points you are locked in until you draw. What would be the big deal after 6 years you decided to put in for elk instead? I don't see how this would materially affect the point creep at all.

I would also be fine if the limited entry and general hunts were put in the same pool. Make people decide if they want to trophy hunt or general hunt. If demand for l.e. exceeded general, then we could make more l.e. units or visa versa. I think that would help the point creep a ton.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom