west tinemaha period 2 bull

I finally drew my first bull tag. I am looking for any information on what to expect on this hunt. Any past hunt experience info is greatly appreciated.

Read post; "Owens Valley Bishop Unit"

Everything is the same except you have no leaseholder issues, and a more physically challenging terrain selection.

Twenty minutes to Bishop.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

No need for a Suzuki.....you will tear it to pieces if you put a bull down in the lava.

The horse would be in the same danger.

There are plenty of roads.....you (nor the elk) cannot get farther than maybe 2 miles from one, if that.

I'd go with one pair of boots and extra snake leggins. But then thats just me. :)
Gongrats on the tag. Get a goodun!

Tinemaha Creek has 6 or 8 private homes along it.

Why would you even consider asking if the people who own that property cooperate with an elk hunt.....or however you put it?

Seriously? 200,000 acres in the zone and you're thinking you may want to hunt on the only 5 acres that is private???????

LOL!

If you can even SEE those houses from where you are hunting.......you will eat your tag.

As of Wednesday, there were 17 bulls, in plain sight, in that area and not a 1 of them was eating rose bushes.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and

Hardway, an expert on private property? The only thing I know about the unit is Onion Valley Road, and even that only a little
!! Actually, just left there. Spent some time visiting with Nickman. Caught some trout, too. pc

Nickman, sorry about the spellcheck. I was just trying to figure out if the private property was going to be an issue for access. I have never entered this unit before, just driven passed many times. I am head up with my family this weekend to do some scouting. Where were the 17 bulls?

Hardway, LMAO. I'd forgotten about my Budweiser private property!!

Michael, you need to get your spotting scope out to find those bulls!!! lol pc

I did what you said and found 1 herd of about 2 dozen elk. Do you know if that is the only herd that goes into and or lives in West Tinemaha unit?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-12 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]There are about 33 animals in that unit.

The largest, oldest bulls are bedded down in the lava above and southwest of the hatchery grounds by 7 am and if you haven't spotted them working their way into that bed area at very first light, you better have a GOOD spotting scope.

There is a dandy 7x7 in amongst them right now, but I doubt he will stay close when the rut kicks in.......any minute now.

The best bulls will NOT be with the cows in the daylight and without being on the hills south of the alfalfa fields, you won't see them.

Keep in mind that there are at least 6 "stick flickers" in front of you scouting those same animals.

I have absolutely no information to help you on your hunt, but Don knows that area better than you know the back of your hand.

BTW, Don it was fun shoothing the bull with you while drinking coffe a couple mornings last week. Also, the "secret" trout fishing hole that provided a delicious dinner!!! Paul

You don't have to worry about the stick flickers in that zone. The 422 tag holders cannot hunt either Tinnemaha zone. The Period 1 archery tag in September sends 2 bowhunters into the east Tinnemaha zone. No competition for you either.You will have more of a problem with the bulls being used as a front grill ornament by the truckers using 395. Best of luck. Nickman is the best thing to have in your pocket next to your tag!

Paul is such a humble man! In a pm he was telling me that he had to teach the nickman how to open a can of beer. In fact it took several 12 packs to get it right! :)

I could have learned if he actually would have let go of a can and let me try it.......he just holds them in front of you and and says....."like this"....

I have to stick with bottles, I guess.

hehe. Practice makes perfect, therefore, I score a perfect "10"!! If only beer drinking were an Olympic sport!!!!!!!!!!!!! pc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom