Western Hunt Expo. What is really going on?

I am genuinely curious what peoples thoughts are on the Hunt expo. Is the Money that is brought in by the $5 tags, the auctioned tags etc... going where it should be? What is the percentage breakdown of what is actually put towards conservation and what is spent on "administrative" costs? What are those administrative costs? What do they include? Is the $5 draw 100% legit? Let's here your thoughts on the matter.

This picture accurately depicts the amount of money that goes back to conservation, it also reflects how the show would be attended with out the 200 tags as well with out the government tax funded marketing/PR that pushes the expo. Best of luck in the draws.

IMG_0074.jpeg

I would like to know if the hunt expo would still be successful if they were to eliminate the draw tags all together. I would still attend it. Some people might go as a result from eliminating the draw tags.
I would bet the attendance would go way down without the tags. I however would be 100% on board with eliminating the draw tags and put them back where the belong, that is in the general draw.

News Flash
People love the Expo. Look how many people attend.Its Crazy!!!
No matter how much crying goes on by the same guys every year it ain’t going away.
If you don’t like it just,just stay in the bunker.LOL
Beating a Dead Horse every year.
Sorry man. I did not mean to cry. lol. I have never posted anything on MM. I was sincerely curious on what peoples sentiments were about the expo as I am trying to form my own take on it. I did not realize it had been a topic of so much discussion and I that I was beating a dead horse.

Sorry man. I did not mean to cry. lol. I have never posted anything on MM. I was sincerely curious on what peoples sentiments were about the expo as I am trying to form my own take on it. I did not realize it had been a topic of so much discussion and I that I was beating a dead horse.
Try the search function. The reading should keep you entertained for awhile.

I’m crying.
It is really sad to see a public resource being taken away from where the resource was originally placed/designated for.
Shameful really.

I have opinions like everyone else does about the expo and don't have time to get into it, but some of the scores on the animals in the lobby cracked me up today.

There is a velvet mule deer near the south entrance on the 1st floor that says it was 205" gross. If that buck is 205, maybe I have broken the 200" club in my life (several times) :ROFLMAO:

I have opinions like everyone else does about the expo and don't have time to get into it, but some of the scores on the animals in the lobby cracked me up today.

There is a velvet mule deer near the south entrance on the 1st floor that says it was 205" gross. If that buck is 205, maybe I have broken the 200" club in my life (several times) :ROFLMAO:
Your experience with that velvet buck reminds me of Erick Chessler today, if that ear tucker is 5’3” on a his best day then Doyle’s an easy 6’10”.#fireBull #MbRedHats

Last edited:
You See The Scores On The Bulls?

Gotta Be Some SCI Going On!

Dead horses generally don't defraud the public and bribe elected officials. At least the ones I've interviewed did not exhibit this behavior.

As a new comer it’s very possible you would be curious about people’s sentiments. Seems perfectly logically to me.

If you are curious enough and you live close enough where the trip justifies your interest, for or against, why not find out for yourself and go see for yourself.

Here is what I would do, if I were curious. I would go see for myself.

For no access fee…… just walk into room on the main floor and for $5 and a current Utah Big Game license, you can apply for a big game tag, any Utah big game tag, on specific units. (There are a few for turkeys and about 180 other ones, all of which are for big game.) $5 is half the price that it is to apply for the same tag through the regular Utah DWR Draw.

While you are there you can pay $25 (less with a discount coupon)and you can go into the vendor area where, give or take, 600 firearms manufactures, boot manufactures, clothing manufactures, archery manufactures, western furniture makers, outfitters, government agencies, tent makers, saddle makers, knife makers, vehicle makers, sock makers, hat makers, jewelry makers, insole makers, eye glass defogger makers, gun case makers, bullet/cartridge makers, tree stand makers, decoy makers, artist, word cravers, taxidermists, salsa makers, saddle bag makers, cot makers, optics manufactures, back pack manufactures, cook stove/lantern/dufflebag/sleeping bag/camera/booking agents/world wide hunt agents/ as well as the latest outdoor hunting innovations have their products available to touch and feel. Also, enjoy large quantities of last year’s game animals mounted by outstanding taxidermists.

If you choose there are addition raffle tickets being sold for all kinds of additional items such as hunting and camping gear and other big game raffles, including a number of big horn sheep tags that are not part of the 200 $5 tag raffles. They cost more. About $20 as I recall. Lots of seminars and speakers, kids participation activities etc.

There are also afternoon luncheons for the ladies, and evening dinner banquets where auctions for high end hunts, and a lot of other hunting related items, such as a riding mule, or a fancy firearm etc are held to generate money for Utah and other States who send tags to be auctions so the proceeds can go back to those States, for what ever they deem approach to use the funds for. Auction prices can and do go up as high as $200,000 and higher, not because the bidder believes he/she is getting a bargain but because the bidder/buyer has a desire to support hunting conservation and sees the value in the life style. There are about two or three of these events over the four day event.

With the exception of the $5 raffle tickets and the vender area, these auction/meal venues are generally all sold weeks before the Expo opens each February. Planning a head to attend is generally a requirement. Getting a vendor booth location can take a number of years, in as much as those who have purchased a vendor booth in the past get invited back and they have filled all the available space in the Salt Palace for a number of years now.

If you wish to talk to the two groups that host the EXPO, ie; the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and the Mule Deer Foundation, they each have a booth, just as you enter the vendor area. At either of these booths you can talk with a representative for these organizations and ask all kinds of questions as to their Mission Statements, how they follow their objective, how they generate their revenue and how they spend the millions of dollars they raise, at the EXPO and through other fund raising methods. They will tell you where you can find and study their financial reports and share with you current and past conservation projects they have been involved with.

Thousand of people attend all aspect of the EXPO. From young families pushing baby strollers, sport hunters (like most of us) heavy duty firearms manufacturing personal, and world renowned outfitters, all mixed together enjoying a common interest and life style.

But……. not all of us like the concept, or the individuals the that host it. We all see the world from the prism of our own bias. They only way you’ll really know what it’s all about is to see it for yourself, look into the things they do and don’t do and form your own opinion.

All the best in your search.

Dead horses generally don't defraud the public and bribe elected officials. At least the ones I've interviewed did not exhibit this behavior.
They allegedly enhance illegal bear bait sites due to their large body composition and ease of mobility in their pre dispatched state according to at least one premier beehive outfitter. #WLh

As a new comer it’s very possible you would be curious about people’s sentiments. Seems perfectly logically to me.

If you are curious enough and you live close enough where the trip justifies your interest, for or against, why not find out for yourself and go see for yourself.

Here is what I would do, if I were curious. I would go see for myself.

For no access fee…… just walk into room on the main floor and for $5 and a current Utah Big Game license, you can apply for a big game tag, any Utah big game tag, on specific units. (There are a few for turkeys and about 180 other ones, all of which are for big game.) $5 is half the price that it is to apply for the same tag through the regular Utah DWR Draw.

While you are there you can pay $25 (less with a discount coupon)and you can go into the vendor area where, give or take, 600 firearms manufactures, boot manufactures, clothing manufactures, archery manufactures, western furniture makers, outfitters, government agencies, tent makers, saddle makers, knife makers, vehicle makers, sock makers, hat makers, jewelry makers, insole makers, eye glass defogger makers, gun case makers, bullet/cartridge makers, tree stand makers, decoy makers, artist, word cravers, taxidermists, salsa makers, saddle bag makers, cot makers, optics manufactures, back pack manufactures, cook stove/lantern/dufflebag/sleeping bag/camera/booking agents/world wide hunt agents/ as well as the latest outdoor hunting innovations have their products available to touch and feel. Also, enjoy large quantities of last year’s game animals mounted by outstanding taxidermists.

If you choose there are addition raffle tickets being sold for all kinds of additional items such as hunting and camping gear and other big game raffles, including a number of big horn sheep tags that are not part of the 200 $5 tag raffles. They cost more. About $20 as I recall. Lots of seminars and speakers, kids participation activities etc.

There are also afternoon luncheons for the ladies, and evening dinner banquets where auctions for high end hunts, and a lot of other hunting related items, such as a riding mule, or a fancy firearm etc are held to generate money for Utah and other States who send tags to be auctions so the proceeds can go back to those States, for what ever they deem approach to use the funds for. Auction prices can and do go up as high as $200,000 and higher, not because the bidder believes he/she is getting a bargain but because the bidder/buyer has a desire to support hunting conservation and sees the value in the life style. There are about two or three of these events over the four day event.

With the exception of the $5 raffle tickets and the vender area, these auction/meal venues are generally all sold weeks before the Expo opens each February. Planning a head to attend is generally a requirement. Getting a vendor booth location can take a number of years, in as much as those who have purchased a vendor booth in the past get invited back and they have filled all the available space in the Salt Palace for a number of years now.

If you wish to talk to the two groups that host the EXPO, ie; the Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and the Mule Deer Foundation, they each have a booth, just as you enter the vendor area. At either of these booths you can talk with a representative for these organizations and ask all kinds of questions as to their Mission Statements, how they follow their objective, how they generate their revenue and how they spend the millions of dollars they raise, at the EXPO and through other fund raising methods. They will tell you where you can find and study their financial reports and share with you current and past conservation projects they have been involved with.

Thousand of people attend all aspect of the EXPO. From young families pushing baby strollers, sport hunters (like most of us) heavy duty firearms manufacturing personal, and world renowned outfitters, all mixed together enjoying a common interest and life style.

But……. not all of us like the concept, or the individuals the that host it. We all see the world from the prism of our own bias. They only way you’ll really know what it’s all about is to see it for yourself, look into the things they do and don’t do and form your own opinion.

All the best in your search.
I like going just to see all the hunting stuff. I have enough gear, but, sometimes just being in that atmosphere is worth the trip. I might pick up a new tripod or angled spotter or whatever. As I age out of being an active stalking/walking hunter, I've got to look for new things to make my hunting trips a bit more enjoyable and prolong my time in the woods.

Is it true there are hookers at the after parties?

Beating dead horses is the only exercise some of us get.
Great question blue.

I think you might be confused with the conservation conventions in Las Vegas and Reno. It one time a third organization was part of the EXPO, but left and moved their convention to Nevada………. and you probably know why.

You know, you could very well be onto something though, maybe hookers are the reason some folks refuse to support the Western Hunting Expo. Thanks for pulling back a little more of the curtain this morning. You’re a good man!

But……. not all of us like the concept, or the individuals the that host it. We all see the world from the prism of our own bias.
This is a very good way to put it. We all have our individual biases that make us prioritize things differently. I personally would rather not support the organizations that use fraud, deceit, and bribery to further their own agendas (at the expense of the general public). That is my priority. Others are more than willing to look beyond those facts because they enjoy the expo. I used to attend the expo every year and it does have some very interesting stuff. They do a great job, no doubt about it. So if you prioritize your own entertainment above donating money to these groups you'll have a great time. Or, if you're ignorant of the underlying facts like many people are, you'll also have a great time. The expo tag drawing is not giving the public any additional chance to draw a tag, as they will lead you to believe. It's just taking the chance away from the general public and redistributing it to people who donate to the corrupt organizations. If they had kept their original promise to use "the lion's share" of the proceeds to benefit wildlife I would still be attending their event each year. But when they only give 1 or 2 percent of their profits back to wildlife it irritates me. At least now they are forced by law to give 30%, which they reluctantly do.

This is a very good way to put it. We all have our individual biases that make us prioritize things differently. I personally would rather not support the organizations that use fraud, deceit, and bribery to further their own agendas (at the expense of the general public). That is my priority. Others are more than willing to look beyond those facts because they enjoy the expo. I used to attend the expo every year and it does have some very interesting stuff. They do a great job, no doubt about it. So if you prioritize your own entertainment above donating money to these groups you'll have a great time. Or, if you're ignorant of the underlying facts like many people are, you'll also have a great time. The expo tag drawing is not giving the public any additional chance to draw a tag, as they will lead you to believe. It's just taking the chance away from the general public and redistributing it to people who donate to the corrupt organizations. If they had kept their original promise to use "the lion's share" of the proceeds to benefit wildlife I would still be attending their event each year. But when they only give 1 or 2 percent of their profits back to wildlife it irritates me. At least now they are forced by law to give 30%, which they reluctantly do.
Your view is certainly not different than others here on MM and else where. But……. apparently it is not the view of the gate keepers in the Utah Legislature, Utah Div of Wildlife, the Attorney Generals Office, State Tax Commission, etc etc because, over these years these individual gate keepers have come and gone, with chances in who the gate keepers are, yet, per the demands by media and EXPO opposing organizations and influential individuals, the concept and the Convention goes forward. Of course we are each still free to see that too, from our own prism of bias.

All the best El Matador. Onward and upward with your outdoor passions.

Last edited:
Sincere question here...Who are the people getting the expo tags that are donors of the corrupt organizations? I'm really curious to know so as to be able to paint a picture and connect the dots to be able to expose this dishonesty.

I would think less than 25% of people apply for the tags. 50k went last year with less than 10k applying from what I can see.

Possible part of the reason may be a lot of the attendees are non hunters, ie; a non hunting spouse and non hunting children, media reporters, salsa vendors, defogger vendors, vehicle vendors, target shooting enthusiasts, government agency representatives, campers, Dutch oven cooks, etc. etc. I’m guessing of course.

I like the Expo but I’m scared to death getting there, when I hit the Mormon 500 it’s white knuckle driving to the palace. I will be honest, I stopped going to the Expo last year I guess I’m aging out. The main reason I went was to see friends and outfitters and possibly buy a new pillow. I have more than enough gear and weapons, in the beginning the odds were actually pretty good to win some kind of hunt and I knew quite a few people that won hunts, hunting has really changed for me since the pandemic, hunts have doubled, a trophy buck is 180”, celebrity hunters and sweepstake hunts are the norm, now you have the utube hunters setting up booths, with big followings. Theres a new gadget for everything involved in hunting. Theres guys giving out special juice and it makes you have muscles. Yes goys in Utah wear sequined pants and there girl friends and wife’s wear Rack T Shirts with god awful bobbed hair cuts. It’s truly like being in Las Vegas. Have a great time, I always did. Oh make sure you stop by the beard booth for there special cream. Gosh I almost forgot to mention the 5.00 tags.

I like the Expo but I’m scared to death getting there, when I hit the Mormon 500 it’s white knuckle driving to the palace. I will be honest, I stopped going to the Expo last year I guess I’m aging out. The main reason I went was to see friends and outfitters and possibly buy a new pillow. I have more than enough gear and weapons, in the beginning the odds were actually pretty good to win some kind of hunt and I knew quite a few people that won hunts, hunting has really changed for me since the pandemic, hunts have doubled, a trophy buck is 180”, celebrity hunters and sweepstake hunts are the norm, now you have the utube hunters setting up booths, with big followings. Theres a new gadget for everything involved in hunting. Theres guys giving out special juice and it makes you have muscles. Yes goys in Utah wear sequined pants and their girl friends and wife’s wear Rack T Shirts with god awful bobbed hair cuts. It’s truly like being in Las Vegas. Have a great time, I always did. Oh make sure you stop by the beard booth for their special cream. Gosh I almost forgot to mention the 5.00 tags.
Another truth…… found myself in exactly the same place. For me, it to see family and friends more than anything else anymore. Of course I donate to the raffle while I’m there as well. We all have our reasons. The EXPO means many different things to many different people.

The one change I’d like to see is zero tags given to non residents unless their state gives tags. Nevada can throw in 10 elk tags, Idaho can give some premium tags, Wyoming can give 30 region g deer tags and some speedgoat tags. Arizona could give give a Kaibab and strip and some unit 10 elk tags. Colorado can give some 4th season deer tags. It’s the western hunt expo not the show up to Utah and rob its resources, while your state offers nothing of any value. I’d also be ok if the tags were returned to the draw system.

Sincere question here...Who are the people getting the expo tags that are donors of the corrupt organizations? I'm really curious to know so as to be able to paint a picture and connect the dots to be able to expose this dishonesty.
The donors are the people applying for the tags. Each application costs $5 and the "conservation" organizations keep $3.50 of that. They have to use the other $1.50 for wildlife conservation, but even that is largely at their discretion and another topic entirely. So in order to have a chance at those expo tags you are required to become a donor to those organizations.

Your view is certainly not different than others here on MM and else where. But……. apparently it is not the view of the gate keepers in the Utah Legislature, Utah Div of Wildlife, the Attorney Generals Office, State Tax Commission, etc etc because, over these years these individual gate keepers have come and gone, with chances in who the gate keepers are, yet, per the demands by media and EXPO opposing organizations and influential individuals, the concept and the Convention goes forward. Of course we are each still free to see that too, from our own prism of bias.

All the best El Matador. Onward and upward with your outdoor passions.
Its pretty clear there are more people involved in the corruption than just SFW and MDF. I'm sure you remember when RMEF put in a bid to host the expo and the DWR broke their own administrative rules in order to make sure the expo stayed with SFW. If the DWR was an unbiased, neutral organization they would have followed the law and awarded the contract to RMEF. Its all just politics and back scratching. One of the biggest gate keepers in all this is the governor. Herbert was certainly involved in receiving bribes from SFW, and its no surprise that his apprentice Mr Cox stayed with the status quo when he took office. Just because the name of the gate keeper changes doesn't mean the policies, relationships, and kickbacks are going to change.

I don't have any ill will toward people that attend the expo, those who apply for tags, or the vendors. Like I said earlier I just place a higher priority on boycotting the corruption than I do on attending a fun and interesting expo. Thousands of people every year choose either to remain ignorant on the subject or support the expo despite the corruption, and that is their choice.

Its pretty clear there are more people involved in the corruption than just SFW and MDF. I'm sure you remember when RMEF put in a bid to host the expo and the DWR broke their own administrative rules in order to make sure the expo stayed with SFW. If the DWR was an unbiased, neutral organization they would have followed the law and awarded the contract to RMEF. Its all just politics and back scratching. One of the biggest gate keepers in all this is the governor. Herbert was certainly involved in receiving bribes from SFW, and its no surprise that his apprentice Mr Cox stayed with the status quo when he took office. Just because the name of the gate keeper changes doesn't mean the policies, relationships, and kickbacks are going to change.

I don't have any ill will toward people that attend the expo, those who apply for tags, or the vendors. Like I said earlier I just place a higher priority on boycotting the corruption than I do on attending a fun and interesting expo. Thousands of people every year choose either to remain ignorant on the subject or support the expo despite the corruption, and that is their choice.
Please provide evidence for the corruption you are boycotting. I’d love to see it. Would be a shame to boycott massive corruption based on rumor, paranoia and innuendo.

Please provide evidence for the corruption you are boycotting. I’d love to see it. Would be a shame to boycott massive corruption based on rumor, paranoia and innuendo.
I'm not your secretary so I'll pass on writing you up a full report. My opinions are based on things I've heard and seen over a number of years but I can assure you it is not speculation. I'm talking about firsthand conversations and public documents from SFW, the DWR, RMEF, and the governor's office. The thing that really turned me off the expo was viewing SFW's financial reports for the first 8 years of the expo. I'm going off memory here because those documents have been scrubbed from SFW's site. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in those first 8 years they took in roughly $1 million per year from the expo tags. Of that $8 million, which they promised they'd use "the lion's share" (a quote from Don Peay) for wildlife conservation...of the $8 million they had documented only about $140k in wildlife related expenses. Most of that was for scholarships. I recall one line item in particular from their finances where Don paid himself a "consulting fee" of over $400k in a single year, directly from the expo tag proceeds. To me "the lion's share" went into their pockets and not even the dung beetle's share went to wildlife. Feel free to do your own research but understand SFW has tried to bury those records. UWC was started specifically because of this corruption and they tried to get a law passed, requiring the same 90/10 split they use for the conservation tags. They eventually got a law passed requiring 30% of the money to be used for wildlife, which was disappointing but better than nothing. In the wake of UWC's movement, knowing the expo tag contract was renewed every 5 years, the RMEF decided to put in a bid for that contract. That opened up a different aspect of the nepotism ring and it was pretty well documented on this site. There are many more details I could cite but I think I've made my point. The corruption is real and definitely not based on "rumor, paranoia and innuendo".

"There's a new non-profit in Minnesota, duly registered with the Minnesota Secretary of State's office: Hunters for Hunters. I've been curious about its sudden rise--and now, whether it's connected to a mid-March story in the Salt Lake Tribune, Lawmakers spend $500,000 to recruit out-of-state hunters for Utah’s war on wolves; Hunter Nation, based in Kansas, to get $500,000 to rally Midwestern hunters to the delisting cause."

"He promised Utah’s money won’t be wasted and he will be transparent with how it’s spent. In contrast, Big Game Forever has never disclosed how it spends its state grants and is litigating a long-running fight against Utah journalist Eric Peterson to keep him from obtaining key financial information."

and the real gem ....

"Don Peay, MN Senator Nathan Wesenberg, and the board of H4H just had an awesome one hour meeting on how Don and his team were able to get the wolves delisted out west. We now have friends in high places who do have a blueprint."

Anybody stupid enough to believe don peay deserves to lose their money.

Last edited:

Actually, you left out the Governor that start all this so called corruption. Gov. Jon Huntsman, the son of one of the richest families and a well know philanthropist family, that have given millions and millions of their fortune to build cancer research centers and countless other humanitarian efforts here in Utah and across the entire world. This so called corrupt Governor was the political founder of this notoriously corrupt money making scheme. Bring along the so call corruption of every future Governor since Huntsman retired, every Attorney General, every State Tax Commissioner, ever Senator, every Legislator, every DWR Director, etc etc, for the last 18 years. Ya, and then add to that list the Governors and Legislators, AGs, and Fish and Game Directors of all the other States, that send their big games tags to the EXPO, to raise money for their wildlife funding needs.

Imagine that…….. and for 20 years no less, and the most that’s ever been said by any of the investigators is, they could and should improve their record keeping. Again, imagine that…….the same assessment any tax auditor writes in every report they summit, when writing their findings.

Now…… who knows, at some place in time m, someone that hosts the EXPO could screw up a be found guilty of something along the lines that you’re claiming. If they do, they should send him/them to jail like any other criminal.

Yes I know all about the RMEF bid, and the details before and after. I totally disagree with your assessment of the process. And it’s water under the bridge to me, so I’m not going to have another pointless discussion as to why we disagree on what happened and why it happened.

It is very nice that you have no problem with us enablers, it’s so very kind and most generous of you.

Sorry I borrowed this from Tristate cause I don’t know how to find my own.
Anybody see the staggering amount of money raised from the Auction tags last night and tonight? Pretty amazing.

Sorry I borrowed this from Tristate cause I don’t know how to find my own.
Anybody see the staggering amount of money raised from the Auction tags last night and tonight? Pretty amazing.
If all that money only ever actually made it back into the wildlife it came from… all those stolen opportunities from Utah hunters might actually have made it worth it for all. Unfortunately that’s far from reality. And the average sportsman continues be stolen from year after year. With all those millions made, you’d think Utah wildlife would be absolutely THRIVING as a result.

The expo has been going for roughly 20 years now? At a minimum of 200 tags taken from the public draw every year, that’s 4,000+ tags/hunts/successful draws/memories stolen from us.

If all that money only ever actually made it back into the wildlife it came from… all those stolen opportunities from Utah hunters might actually have made it worth it for all. Unfortunately that’s far from reality. And the average sportsman continues be stolen from year after year. With all those millions made, you’d think Utah wildlife would be absolutely THRIVING as a result.

The expo has been going for roughly 20 years now? At a minimum of 200 tags taken from the public draw every year, that’s 4,000+ tags/hunts/successful draws/memories stolen from us.
Stolen?

Because the people who paid for them or drew them at the expo aren't public and you can't put in for them either???????

You think if someone doesn't match yourself they aren't average 🤔

Auction tags and expo tags are not the same thing. When we combine the two there are well over 500 tags given to “conservation” organizations to thrive on a public welfare system each year.

So take Bux’s math, and re-do it at 500 per year for just a round number. (The real number will be noticeably higher still.) And then complain to me about point creep.

I always play the western states raffles. I read an article where a guy had done research and had calculations of percentages on winning . His conclusions were you had to spend at least $2500 in tickets on each state raffle per species that didn’t have limit restrictions to have a certain % chance of winning. I guess I’m to tight with spending that much, I typically buy about 25 tickets for each state raffle ( usually $500 ) Prob why I’ve never won . But I love hearing of the guy that bought one single ticket and won . It has happened more frequently than you think.

Last edited:
Stolen?

Because the people who paid for them or drew them at the expo aren't public and you can't put in for them either???????

You think if someone doesn't match yourself they aren't average 🤔
im talking about the draw. Where they stole 200 tags every year from the public draw system.

I don’t care about the auction tags. In my opinion, those should be the only tags for units in Utah that are available to obtain at this event.

And no. The guy paying 375k for an antelope island deer tag or 80k for a desert sheep isn’t what I’d consider a public hunter or by any means an average hunter.

im talking about the draw. Where they stole 200 tags every year from the public draw system.

I don’t care about the auction tags. In my opinion, those should be the only tags for units in Utah that are available to obtain at this event.

And no. The guy paying 375k for an antelope island deer tag or 80k for a desert sheep isn’t what I’d consider a public hunter or by any means an average hunter.
The 200 have not been stolen from the public, not the resident or the non-resident public. They are a cheaper raffle, you can apply for many more species every year and they don’t require a life time of points to draw, so the only objection you can have is the different requirement to enter the public draw by having to travel and apply in person, rather than through e-mail. Or you object to what the money is used for, yet you have not expressed any beef about what the Nevada company does with the $10 you send them to apply for the other 45,000 plus tags. So it’s a dislike for the host people……… that is all it can possibly be but go ahead and hid the truth by pretending it’s something else, like thief.

@DoubleDropMuley why did you guys let Utah have moose and two gov mule deer tags?
I’ll hazard a guess……… a potential couple hundred thousand dollars for the Department. Could there be any other reason? Oh ya, I forgot it could go to pay for corruption in the State of Wyoming. Don’t forget, as BuzzH said, we are… after all…… home of the scam.

I thought that same thing about that exact buck 😂

Next year I will have a vendor booth at the Expo selling a new product, The Digital B&C Calculator.

There’s how it works, take a four sided picture of any mounted set of antlers, run the 4 images through the The Digital B&C Calculator AI software and voila, 204 3/8”

Problem solved.

Projected price: $50,000.00 each.

See you there next February.

Not. 😁

I don't think I've ever commented on one of these threads...but

The wildlife in Utah belongs to all the people of Utah, not just the hunters. The Expo brings in dollars to the state and many many people benefit, even some lucky hunters. The Utah government (elected by the people) thinks the Expo is good for a lot of Utahns. Elect new government if it's not working out. The attendance seems to indicate something is working. Be happy you have what you have. Maybe figure out a way to cash in on it.

The 200 have not been stolen from the public, not the resident or the non-resident public. They are a cheaper raffle, you can apply for many more species every year and they don’t require a life time of points to draw, so the only objection you can have is the different requirement to enter the public draw by having to travel and apply in person, rather than through e-mail. Or you object to what the money is used for, yet you have not expressed any beef about what the Nevada company does with the $10 you send them to apply for the other 45,000 plus tags. So it’s a dislike for the host people……… that is all it can possibly be but go ahead and hid the truth by pretending it’s something else, like thief.
Those 200 tags are coming from the public draw quota set by the state. Those tags don’t just magically appear. They come from somewhere. And that’s at the expense of the public draw hunters.

I don’t care what nevada does with my $10 application fees. Those have never been advertised as conservation dollars. I absolutely do care where the money raised from these tags goes to. And a lot of it isn’t back into the wildlife like we are all told to believe.

Why do you support the action tags?
Because they aren’t all at the expense of public utah draw hunter. They are hunts from several states/countries. They are 1 tag. Some have been donated from land owners, CWMUs, etc…. The draw tags were taken from residents and their state draw system. And pimped out for profit.

Why doesn’t Wyoming, Colorado, nevada, Idaho, Arizona and New Mexico donate tags from their state draws at the rate Utah does and put into the draw as well? Does the “conservation” money from the draw stop at Utah borders?

Hey Lumpy?

Will There Be An MM Version?

EXPO Version?

Guide & Outfitters Version?

Next year I will have a vendor booth at the Expo selling a new product, The Digital B&C Calculator.

There’s how it works, take a four sided picture of any mounted set of antlers, run the 4 images through the The Digital B&C Calculator AI software and voila, 204 3/8”

Problem solved.

Projected price: $50,000.00 each.

See you there next February.

Not. 😁

this may be the only goat rodeo in town, but it's not the only one that happens in a given year.

there are a good handful or two of tag auctions that have a much less scammy sheen to them and are much more upfront as to where the money goes.

I tend to stay away from this one but do generally pick up at least one auction tag a year from an org I'd rather give money to that just forking it over to the .gov

Because they aren’t all at the expense of public utah draw hunter. They are hunts from several states/countries. They are 1 tag. Some have been donated from land owners, CWMUs, etc…. The draw tags were taken from residents and their state draw system. And pimped out for profit.

Why doesn’t Wyoming, Colorado, nevada, Idaho, Arizona and New Mexico donate tags from their state draws at the rate Utah does and put into the draw as well? Does the “conservation” money from the draw stop at Utah borders?

From the 200 draw tags, yes from what I understand that money stops at the border.
So you do understand that there is 500 permits that the Utah DWR allocated for conservation permits.
So the 300 is not stolen from the public draw system🤔
I don't care if other states have permits to auction off, that has nothing to do about Utah DWR allocating permits for the EXPO.
The EXPO has become successful to the point that other states are now using the EXPO to auction some of there premier tags.
Sheep Camp raffles off 5 premier sheep hunts
It seems the EXPO is doing something right

All the public has to do is pay $5 for a chance at them. Nothing got stolen. Give the hyperbole a rest. It makes your argument look like a teenage girl isn't getting her way.

Those 200 tags are coming from the public draw quota set by the state. Those tags don’t just magically appear. They come from somewhere. And that’s at the expense of the public draw hunters.

I don’t care what nevada does with my $10 application fees. Those have never been advertised as conservation dollars. I absolutely do care where the money raised from these tags goes to. And a lot of it isn’t back into the wildlife like we are all told to believe.

My last comment on this subject, this month. This is the same nonsensical conversation that comes up every year, no one has any thing new to offer that hasn’t been said countless times for two decades.

I never said they didn’t come from the State. Of course they do. The State took them out of the State’s tags. That’s not theft. That’s the State deciding to have two public draws, one the traditional way and one a nontraditional way. No one stole anything. Fact is if the State wanted to it could distribute its big game tags, 50 different ways. Or are you going to pretend all 49 would be theft. Actually they distribute them 3 different ways now. Two you support, one you don’t. WAAAAAA.

Your definition of what a conservation expenditure is, is not mine. I guarantee you that.

Enough said……… at least for now. Nothing will get accomplish today.

Last edited:
Did Founder delete all of the posts providing evidence of the massive fraud being committed by the state of Utah, SFW and the MDF? I’ve got my tinfoil hat on and I’m ready to join the lynch mob fellas. Don’t leave me hanging.

So, what about the hookers and blow?
Let’s not forget and lose sight of the Salsa and beard wax’s impact of the WhCe, but most definitely someone needs to do the Christian thing and post some first hand insight on the blow and preferably some pics of the hookers.

Did Founder delete all of the posts providing evidence of the massive fraud being committed by the state of Utah, SFW and the MDF? I’ve got my tinfoil hat on and I’m ready to join the lynch mob fellas. Don’t leave me hanging.
Nope, you just have to use that search function!

I didn’t go to the expo and I haven’t been for a good number of years. I can’t bring myself to be a part of the scam that is taking place. I don’t care what you guys do, but I just can’t bring myself to be a part of it. Good luck to all.

The one change I’d like to see is zero tags given to non residents unless their state gives tags. Nevada can throw in 10 elk tags, Idaho can give some premium tags, Wyoming can give 30 region g deer tags and some speedgoat tags. Arizona could give give a Kaibab and strip and some unit 10 elk tags. Colorado can give some 4th season deer tags. It’s the western hunt expo not the show up to Utah and rob its resources, while your state offers nothing of any value. I’d also be ok if the tags were returned to the draw system.
Don't drag Idaho into this ! We don't need to be part of the scam.

I always play the western states raffles. I read an article where a guy had done research and had calculations of percentages on winning . His conclusions were you had to spend at least $2500 in tickets on each state raffle per species that didn’t have limit restrictions to have a certain % chance of winning.
The odds at the Expo the last several years for the good tags has been around 1:5,000. The odds for a Henry's deer tag last year was 1:11,000

If you saved the $100 in Expo application fees and went to Vegas or Wendover and put the $100 as a straight bet on Roulette and won and then let the winnings ride and bet on another straight bet and won... YOU'D HAVE $122,500. And your odds are 1:1,440 of winning twice in a row at roulette.

The Henry's deer tag sold for $130,000 at the auction. It seems to me the smart money is to take the 8x better odds and head to Vegas then just buy the tag.

The odds at the Expo the last several years for the good tags has been around 1:5,000. The odds for a Henry's deer tag last year was 1:11,000

If you saved the $100 in Expo application fees and went to Vegas or Wendover and put the $100 as a straight bet on Roulette and won and then let the winnings ride and bet on another straight bet and won... YOU'D HAVE $122,500. And your odds are 1:1,440 of winning twice in a row at roulette.

The Henry's deer tag sold for $130,000 at the auction. It seems to me the smart money is to take the 8x better odds and head to Vegas then just buy the tag.
Way better odds grizz, and a lot more fun to boot.

Las Vegas vs Utah. I don't like Vegas but I do apply for Utah Deer Tag every year. We are headed to Spanish Fork tomorrow to see family. I missed it by a day. They both fleece money. I spent some money this week paying cash for a truck and paying off my Travel Trailer. Those were a sure bet as creditors always take a payment giving you the deed or title. And I didn't fund a organization that gives 70% of the proceeds to themselves .

I work hard for my money and I feel if I’m going to give my money to a worth while cause I would like most the money I give go to that cause an not in someone’s pocket. So if I give 1,000 dollars to some charity and 900 of that money goes to administration costs and to pad someone’s pocket I’m out no thank you. If you guys feel good about it then go for it. But wow some people do stupid things with their money!

I work hard for my money and I feel if I’m going to give my money to a worth while cause I would like most the money I give go to that cause an not in someone’s pocket. So if I give 1,000 dollars to some charity and 900 of that money goes to administration costs and to pad someone’s pocket I’m out no thank you. If you guys feel good about it then go for it. But wow some people do stupid things with their money!
Do you have any proof of your accusations?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom