What are your dream hunts?

npaden

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-11 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]Some of the posts on nonresidents and points, etc. have started me thinking. What are your dream hunts? Try to stick to attainable hunts, not complete pie in the sky type things like the SuperTag Missouri Breaks Bighorn hunt or something like that.

Right now I'm stuck on Mountain Goats for some reason. I don't think there is any real chance I'll ever pull off a sheep hunt starting this late in life so goats are probably the next best option I think. I'm not picky about state, but would prefer a DIY hunt in the lower 48. If that doesn't happen in the next 5 or 6 years I'll probably pull the trigger on a guided hunt in BC or Alaska.

I would also like to do a DIY Alaskan Black Bear hunt. I want to go to Alaska some day anyway, so why not knock out a bear hunt while I'm at it? Spot and stalk bear hunting also appeals to me and that's still the primary method up there on the coast.

I try to go on at least one elk hunt each year so that isn't really a dream hunt, but I would like to go on a Limited entry hunt in Wyoming sometime, not the best unit, but a decent one.

Mule deer hunts in Montana and New Mexico probably don't qualify as dream hunts because for now they are pretty easily attainable, although I really enjoy them.

Some day I would like to knock down an 80" pronghorn, but I figure I can wait on that one until I'm old and decrepit. I'm applying for Oryx in New Mexico now also. I think that should be something I could pull off whatever age I end up drawing it.

My New Mexico elk hunt this year probably qualifies as a dream hunt fufilled. It was a tremendous experience for me and talking a 300"+ bull DIY on public land was on my list and now it is crossed off.

For some reason right now hunts for Caribou, Moose, etc. aren't really floating my boat as far as dream hunts. An African safari isn't really high on the list either, but it would be neat just to go see Africa some day whether I go with a gun or with a camera.

Oh well, just dreaming. Anyone else?

Nathan

Desert sheep in Kali! I've been putting in many years now since day #1. Now i may be a bit too old and busted up to give the hunt it's due but i still desire the tag and would somehow manage.

Joey

My goal is to finish the super slam, will I??? probably not due to not having the $$$$$ I will probably be 3 animals short but I have the next 30 or 40 years (hopefully) to get it done.

I would give it all up though if I could go on a hunt with my 3 daughters and see all of them be successful at whatever animal we were hunting.

2nd dream hunt would be to see my dad shoot a 200+ muley.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My favorite animal to hunt is mule deer by far. But I would LOVE a missouri breaks rifle elk tag. Other than that ide like any limited entry mule deer tag.

I do put in for points in multiple states, but only for mule deer and elk, some states I put in for antelope. But im wondering if ill ever get the itch to shoot a sheep or moose. They both arent on my dream list, I have no points for either in any state, wondering if thats gonna haunt me one day...

Probably AZ Strip or Henries muley. But would like to hunt for a good Antelope some day but as the fool I am I don't have points anywhere except CA. Have always wanted to hunt archery elk in the rut which is another attainable opportunity that I continue to ignore.

I hunt mostly with my father and my wife and kids and my dad has no desire for any other than big muleys so I keep trying to get him on that buck of a lifetime and seem to concentrate on drawing and hunting muleys.

Don't get me wrong I love muleys more than anything else but if I was hunting only for me I would be doing things a little different. In fact I have passed an open invite to hunt Alaska for 'bou for about 6 years now because although I can afford it and have my wife's blessing it would be my only hunt for the year and my Pops doesn't have too many more healthy ones in fact it is already difficult to get him after one due to a bad knee and foot.

Lately I have coveted an Oryx from NM.

Bill

I'm doing one of my main dream hunts this fall - Alaskan Brown Bear!!!!!!!!
Other than that, Dall Sheep, & I would like to draw a Rocky Bighorn tag in Idaho (I'm too old for the points game).
I've also been getting more into the turkeys, I want an Osceola since I now live in FL., and I've been eyeballing those Ocellated turkeys in southern MX.
I also hope to go on my first gator hunt this year.

Let's see - where to start? Bull elephant in Botswana, Ibex anywhere, Utah rifle deer down south in the Pauns or Henry's, a big buck or bull in Arizona, Aoudad in Texas in the Palo Duro canyon, the list goes on - - -

to hunt sheep, when i turned 16, i could drive myself to hunt so i started applying, im 47 now, havent drawn , nor missed a year. last 7 years i have been trying in 5 or 6 states. depending on the year. {will all of this pouting help me draw???}

Combination hunt in Northern BC or Southern Yukon for Stone Sheep, Mt Grizz, Moose, Mt. Caribou and Goat. Long wish list but doable. A buddy of mine in BC did it 10 years ago on one hunt. His Stone, Moose and Grizz were all eligibe for all-time B & C.

I lived my dream in August, hunting white sheep in the NWT with my favorite hunting partner...my son! Took two beautiful old rams and two "book" mountain caribou as a bonus! Floated eagle-like over the MacKenzie Mountains in a super-cub...total euphoria!!!
Dream fulfilled!
Utah Desert Ram still left on the bucket list...and a Stone, which will probably never happen.

moose and caribou in the Yukon or nothern BC, and cape buffalo in Africa, and I think Im going to make one of those happen someday soon.

African Big 5 would be my pie in the sky, if I have to keep it somewhat realistic then just Cape Buffalo. I went over for plains game last year and it blew my mind. You can't beat the Dark Continent.

Marco Polo sheep in Tajikistan would be right up there for me too. What an adventure it would be just to get there.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

mine would be a new zealand adventure. tahr, chamois spelling.., turkey, red stag , and trout fishing with a lord of the rings tour thrown in for good measure ! i don't ask for much do i ! lol

Africa, Cape buffalo and Kudu. That would make my day to see them up on my wall. Then again I can't convince the wife to put my elk on the wall,so who am I kidding ha.

Well I don't think I can afford my dreams unless I hit the lottery, but if I did hit the lottery then my wish list would look something like this:
1) My family members that hunt (me, wife, my father, possibly a couple of close family friends) would start filling dream tags.
I have a close family friend that has been collecting preference point in Colorado for several years now for a muzzleloader tag (I don't know what unit or species it is for), I wanna get my wife a 50+" Alaska Yukon moose, I know my father would like a bull elk, I would like a grand slam of sheep with my bow and a slam of turkeys with my bow; possibly depending on how much of a lunatic I am being at the time I think I would like to do the super slam with a bow and arrow.
2) Sadly there are some of these dreams that I will never be able to fulfill, partly because two of my uncles are deceased and one uncle is not in the best of health. My one uncle liked to run Treeing Walker coonhounds after raccoons, I think he would have gotten a kick out of treeing a mountain lion or a black bear with his hounds, he passed away several years ago with cancer. My other uncle who got me into archery and bowhunting I would have loved to have gotten him a bull elk, I almost had him talked into coming up to Alaska while I was living there for a caribou hunt up on the Dalton Highway, since you can bowhunt caribou from the road up there. He asked me some questions and I told him all he had to do was draw the bow back and fire, I would take care of the rest of it; even if that meant I would have to give him a piggy back ride across the tundra to get him close to the caribou, he passed away from kidney failure about 4 years ago. My uncle that is in poor health has had heart trouble for years, maybe for him I would buy the custom rifle he has always wanted and take him on an elk hunt or something like that.
3) One dream that hasn't been fulfilled yet, is a family friend of mine hasn't gotten me a Eastern turkey under my belt. We hunted hard two seasons for a gobbler and didn't get one. One time I was so close on pulling the trigger, but it went to a hell in a handcart pretty fast and that turkey got away, but not after my buddy killed another bird that sneaked in on us.
4) No great desire to hunt Africa, so that isn't really high on the list
So it may never happen, but maybe I can knock a few things off that list.
WVBOWAK

In no particular order.

Yukon River Moose
Coastal Brown Bear
Cape Buffalo
Leopard
Sable
A big, big, big, big free range whitetail deer.

Running out of time and money but the dreams live on.

DC

I think my list grows every year as does my belief that most are only a dream.

The Strip!! as Z put it!
Interior Grizzly in BC.
Lord Derby Eland.
The Big 5. However I wish I could have done it about 40 or 50 years ago in about a 45 day safari.

Probably trade it all to see my dad shoot one on his list!
Know I'd trade it all to see my kids achieve theirs!!!

Well assuming someone was going to pay for "any hunt" I would definitely go with Red Stagg in New Zealand.

Until then my list goes something like this

1.Red Stag
2.Yukon Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep and Wolves and Wolverine (worked/working on this one this year, thus far with no luck, but have next year to try.)
3. A Big bull tag in MT breaks, Gardiner, Elk Horns...
4. A BIg Muley tag in any state, Southwestern Montana, Henry of Utah... Or Just the town of Colorado Springs...lol...
5. Saskatchewan Whitetail... over 160 inch.
6. MTN Goat Anywhere...
7. Grizzly AK
8. MTn Lion Anywhere
9. Big Texas Whitetail
10. LOTS OF WOLVES OUT OF MT WYO. IDAHO and anywhere else they begin to show up

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Cape Buffalo
400 class Elk
AK Moose
AK Brown Bear
Argentia Red Stag
200 class Mule Deer
Sable
Lord Derby Eland

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

I'm booked for Alaska this August Dall sheep with archery tackle then next year Cape Buffalo in Mozambique with a bow. Starting to have visions of an Elephant somewhere down the line if not with a bow than a double rifle with iron sights.

For some reason for me - mountain goat and mountain caribou. I think the goat is more doable than the caribou price wise. Southern BC seems to have a good population of goats and at a reasonable cost really. I will still be applying for goat here in NV, and will probably jump in on Idaho if they ever get a point system going.

Later,

Marcial

Hey littlebighorn, you may get a stone tag yet, I still think about my hunt everyday, in fact, I think of all the sheep hunts I have been on. The only thing I want now is the fourth one, a Rocky Mountain bighorn tag. The AZ strip hunt was incredible, and I have been on some other great mule deer hunts. Meanwhile, I will wait for the bighorn and then move toward a Mountain goat and then a caribou hunt. Maybe if I am still young enough an Alaskan/Yukon moose. I have a Canadian and will get a shiras soon. Its fun reading about all these dream hunts, good luck to all.

I've been blessed to have done all that I have. I'm very lucky (and older than most of you pups).

I'm a believer in "think, plan, do"

The next two on the list:
Cape buffalo
Snow sheep

May all your dreams come true!

Zeke

I will be going to New Zealand on a dream hunt in about 6 weeks.
It will be DIY for tahr, chamois and waterfowl. I have no grande illusions of monster Red Stag because the wild stags are not monsters. Sad to say that the giants that are killed by tourist are pen raised and released before the hunt. Kiwi guides will tell you whatever you want to hear to sell you that animal. Public land, fair chase, yes, yes, but not true.

A 350" bull elk was my goal, and I accomplished that in Nevada in 2007 by 7/8". Think it shrank any since then?

Now my elk apps are geared more towards opportunity. In fact this year in NM I even applied in a 100% draw unit for my 3rd choice. I'd like to return to some of the places I had close calls in the past but failed to score.

I guess now any sheep hunt anywhere would be nice. Got piles of points but started late 35 yo.

I am kinda limited with not being able to fly because of my ears/pressure.

#1-Marco Polo Ram but that would take a month just to get over there with out being able to fly anymore.

Sooooooo

I realy would like a real nice Whitetail buck and a bigger Muley buck than I have already.

A Bighorn Sheep Ewe to go along with the Ram mounts.

Maybe a Desert Ram tag down around Vegas this year.

Robb

Been dreaming about a caribou hunt by the time I turn 60. Hoping my son will be out of college and can go (not likely). Got 8 years to make it happen.

Phantom Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-11 AT 06:46AM (MST)[p]i would like a hunt where i can lawfully shoot all of the people in my life that make my life difficult. it would be a 10,000 acre high fence hunt. and i will be using a benjerman air rifle. i won't pump it more than......5 times....na .......10 times
:) :)

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED THAT MONSTER BULL ELK IN ARIZONA, NEXT YEAR I DRAW !!! I'VE GOT THE GREEN LIGHT TO GO TO AFRICA ON A 11 ANIMAL PLAINS GAME HUNT....MY BUDDY WENT & GOT ALL 11 HEADS. I AM LUKE WARM ON AFRICA AND LACK THE DRIVE......DONT KNOW WHY. GOT SHEEP,MOOSE,CARIBOU OFF THE BUCKET LIST EARLY.....A BIG WHITE TAIL WOULD BE NICE...............YD.

Addding to my previous post, I guess I'd like to go to New Zealand every summer (our summer) to escape the brutal heat of the desert southwest, and hunt to my heart's content.
Another dream hunt that I've had ever since High School is an Alaskan waterfowl hunt for King Eider and other northern exotics.

Colorado Bull Moose 23 years and counting.

Colorado Big Horn Sheep 28 or 29 yeaars and counting.

Who ever dies with the most weighted points...wins?

In no particular order:

Any western hunt with my two boys.
An Iowa whitetail hunt.
A Sitka blacktail deer hunt on Kodiak Island.
Another elk hunt around Reserve, NM.
An elk hunt in GMU #201 in CO (currently @ 18 points).
An Alaskan dall sheep hunt.
A Wyoming wilderness guided elk hunt complete with horses and heated wall tent, wrangler and a cook. :)

If Africa ever happened it would have to include either a greater kudu, or a cape buffalo.

Fun post...to dream about hunting!

GrizlyHunter

Grizzly bear hunt with stick and string. Imagine that rush.

Red stag has always been up there along with a caribou hunt.

One day i would like to make it over to africa.

Montana Breaks Sheep Hunt.
Arizona Desert Sheep Hunt.
Henrys Mule Deer Tag
Strip Mule Deer Tag

Put those four in a hat... Draw it and I will be happy.

These are my three, very hard to choose between them.

Bongo
Bongo.jpg

Cape Buffalo
CapeBuffalo.jpg

Marco Polo Sheep
MarcoPolo.jpg

First dream hunt would be that my dad stays healthy enough to hunt with me and my son some day. My boy is almost 4 now and we did a little pheasant hunting last fall. My dad isn't in the greatest shape any more so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it can happen. After that I would like to get a bull elk and a nice muley buck with my bow. Hopefully that will come together this fall in Montana for elk and Nevada for deer. I would also like to knock down a buck in Nevada with a smoke pole.

Mine would be a 30 day safari in Tanzania, taking in both Masailand and the Selous. After that, a long hunt in Ethiopia that would include Mtn. Nyala among the bag. Next, a long hunt in Zambia that would include lion and sitatunga.

Other than those, a Marco Polo hunt or a High Altai argali hunt in Mongolia.

In North America, my son and/or I should draw quite a few good tags in the next decade, so I'm not too worried about that. I should still be young and healthy enough when I draw Wyoming bighorn, and he definitely will be when he draws. He'll probably draw a Shiras tag next year, or the year after at worst. And one of these days, I'd love to hunt desert sheep. Most of all in North America, I'd love to do a 15 day or longer multi-species hunt with my son in Alaska, B.C or Yukon.

I would like to be the first person to tag all north american big game with a hawken. As far as i know nobody has done it with a muzzleloader except jim shockey and his were all with inlines. If it were anywhere in the world i would love to get a marco polo sheep. Once i figure out how to make enough money all this will happen i'm determined. haha

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom