What distance do you practice shooting?

huntertj

I was curious to see at what ranges you practice shooting? We went to the range today and got dialed in at 200 yards. Then we went to a 400 yard target and shot 7" steel targets. I hope I'm ready for my trip to WY!

huntertj

Mostly I shoot at 100 for "accuracy" testing. However, I've taken many of my loads, and my primary hunting load, to 200, 300, and 400. (The trajectory was better at 400 than I thought it would be.) So you should definitely check it way out there just to see!

i practice out to 300 yards. i figure i can always get within 300 yards of whatever i'm hunting. went with a friend last year to a 1000 yard range just for the hell of it, didn't do to well.

Do your ammo testing at the far distance you want to shoot. Prove it at 100 and tweak it at your distance. Then practice at twice your max distance if possible. I compete a lot and try to use 1000 yard line to make my 600 yard strings much easier. My success at 1000 is not as good as I want it to be, much because my choice of weapon, but the 600 yard line is easier than it ever was.

So I'd shoot as far as I can, but in the meantime fire a few shots at different yardages so you know where to hold. Learning to shoot way out there makes 300 yards a chip shot.

Finally dump the bench and shoot from field positions. Over my pack is the best. But learn to grab brush and use it, lean into it, use a tree for a back or shoulder rest, cross sticks etc.... Finally through all this you'll learn how far and what position you can shoot from.

In the off season, though the trajectories are often not quite the same, I'd make use of something like a 223 varmint rifle and shoot it a lot. It'll take 5-10000 rounds to toast most 223 barrels and shoooting them is cheap enough. Then when closing in on season you switch over. Much like I do. I have a very expensive AR15 in 22lr. Its cheap to shoot and I can use it in the yard each nite offhand. Switching to my real AR15 is not that big a deal later.

PS using a really good 22lr at 100 and especially at 200 yards is super practice for positions and wind shooting(learning the wind)

Jeff

i sight in at 100 yards, usually about 3" high and then go out somewhere and shoot from 200-300 yards. this year there is a new range that opened up in tucson that has a range of 200 yards. dad and i are going to sight in there if we can get accurate thers then we are going to be able to shoot well for the season
casey

Muzzleloader with open sights - out to 200 yards.
Muzzleloader with 4X scope - out to 300 yards.

Riles with 6X, 8X, or 10X scopes - out to 500 yards.
Even my 375 with 1.75-6X I shoot out to 400 yards.

Then get in to 50 yards while hunting, and be confident!

I agree with firstcoues, I sight in at 100 yards 3" high. Once I know my rifle is dialed in I like to practice hunting shots out to about 300 yards. My hunting partner and I use to practice hunting position shooting at bowling pins. If you can hit a bowling pin at 200 yards in the sitting position you are dialed in...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom