What radios do u guys use?

crazyinches

Im lookin for a new set of radios that got some really good distance. Just wondering what radios u guys are using. Ive been through a few pair but still looking for something thats got some legidement miles behind them. We have a nevada elk hunt and trying to get everything together. My wife will be 7 months pregos so ill be doing most of the walking and trying to get a bull in positioned for her to come up and shoot it. Thanks guys

Haha yes legal i just have a feeling ill be doing all the grunt work. Plus my last child was 6 weeks early so id really like to be in communications with her everywhere were at up there

If your phones dont work. They are the best way to communiacated.
When we dont have service we use Rhinos's. The new 655T or the 650.s. You can see the other people in your party on the screen. If you poll there location you can even find a down or injured person.

>If your phones dont work. They
>are the best way to
>communiacated.
>When we dont have service we
>use Rhinos's. The new 655T
> or the 650.s.
>You can see the other
>people in your party on
>the screen. If you poll
>there location you can even
>find a down or injured
>person.

Ya ive hunted deer up there a bunch with no cell service till u hit the flats i appreciate the post what kind of destance in the hills have uve been getting out of them a few miles?

Has anyone used the motorola c200 i think it isin the hills? We use them at the mine and i can hear everyone on mine site but theres not significant elevation change

MTmuley, u asked legal? Are talking about moding an FSR or "talkabout" type radio to get more power/distance? If so I have always wanted to try that. If u know how or have some info I would be very interested.
Thx,
Mike

>MTmuley, u asked legal? Are
>talking about moding an FSR
>or "talkabout" type radio to
>get more power/distance? If
>so I have always wanted
>to try that. If
>u know how or have
>some info I would be
>very interested.
>Thx,
>Mike

Mike,
The FRS is Family Radio System and those frequencies are public frequencies that don't require a license. To use the GMRS radios you have to pay the $75.00 to have a license from the FCC. The info comes when you buy them and most now come with both frequency lines. I'm not suggesting you do it, but one could use the GMRS frequencies in an emergency without the license. They generally give you about 4 - 8 times the distance but with any radio without repeaters and trunk systems, you're subject to terrain and topography which can eat the signal pretty quick. I do have a 55 watt GMRS base system that I used to have in my truck, you can have it for $50.00 plus whatever shipping is (or if your close to Elko/Ely I can have my dad bring it to you on his way from St. George to Elko. This would at least give your wife enough power to get to your radio even if you couldn't get back to her until you found a good, elevated clearing with excellent line of site to her location.

Shawn

Thank you KLBZ, I had heard u could tweek the modulation or some such thing On these small handhelds to get more power and that's what I thought u may have been talking about. Thank you for the offer, but it looks like crazy could use it more than me.

>Thank you KLBZ, I had heard
>u could tweek the modulation
>or some such thing On
>these small handhelds to get
>more power and that's what
>I thought u may have
>been talking about. Thank
>you for the offer, but
>it looks like crazy could
>use it more than me.
>

The older ones, yes. But because of the FCC license requirement manufacturers now have them pretty much sealed and the components are so small and tiny that its almost impossible to tweak them anymore. The mobile base units have several chips in them and / or crystals that can be replaced but for the most part, to extend a radio's range like some expect these hand held units to work, you have to have access to repeaters and they require some work before they will trunk through the systems. I don't recommend it. Instead, spend the money on a good set of midland or motorolas or buy a high output base unit (max output on UHF/VHF varies)

Motorola VHF radio's are the way to go.

-John Wayne

>If your phones dont work. They
>are the best way to
>communiacated.
>When we dont have service we
>use Rhinos's. The new 655T
> or the 650.s.
>You can see the other
>people in your party on
>the screen. If you poll
>there location you can even
>find a down or injured
>person.

We all use these as well. They have been much better than the motorolas and midlands I've tried. Also can't beat being able to see the location of your buddies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom