Which one?

Cookie2

Very Active Member
I'm saving up as soon as I get back from my ibex hunt and am going to have a new lens for my E-510 soon. It's narrowed down but being as I'm new to this I have no clue as to which way to go. I want the sharpest I can get for the money so do I want the sigma 50-500 or is it the zuiko 70-300 with the 2X converter?

of the two, buy the sigma. the zuiko wont even auto focus with the 2x converter on it. . .

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

I may, but your wallet wont like it. Keep in mind that the oly's have a very tiny sensor therefore you have to multiply the focal length of the lens by 2x in order to get the relative magnification. Now it does not magnify 2x, it only produces an image that is half the size of 35mm, giving the results of double magnification.

I also believe the oly has a built in image stabilization so what ever lens you put on it will get the benefit of stabilization.

I was thinking that the 250mm 2.8 giving you actually a 500 2.8 and with a 250 2.8 you could add a tele converter and still have good image quality, the 250 2.8 would be my lens of choice. . . However, i think they are about $6k or more. . . If you had that lens, and a couple of tele converters you could have a focal range from about 200mm on up to about 1000mm and carry only one lens, one body, and two teleconverters. . .

This is all conjecture on my part, i've never shot the oly's and i've never owned the lenses so I dont know how well my ideas would work. You can email cameraland and ask for joel, he will put you on the right track, he's an Oly guy and wont steer you wrong.

As for what else will work, i'm not sure, Oly does not offer a whole lot in the way of lenses. It's one reason I always tell people to buy a camera after you decide what you want to shoot and what lenses you want to own. . .

Good luck, and happy shooting.

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Ouch! For that price I could ditch the oly and get a canon ar nikon with all the trimmin's! Not ready to make that kind of commitment yet.

The zuiko 70-300mm is a great lens but a bit slow with the f5.6 at the long end. It is equivelent to a 140-600mm on your E510. I wouldn't put a 2X converter on it unless you're only shooting on clear sunny days. The sigma 50-500mm is a good choice if you're taking longer shots though and it's a bit slow also with an f6.3 stop at the long end, but it equates to 1000mm fully extended. I don't think the E510 has image stabilization like the newer E520 that I have, but you'll need to use a tripod anyway for such long shots. Try asking your questions on this sight. http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/ The guys there will help you out immensely.

Thanks bucktaxi,
The 510 does have the IS but It goes without saying that a tripod is going to be required. I'll have to take a look at that site. Might give me a little more insight into my options.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom