Whitetails in Utah?

F

fyrfyter32

So I hear rumors alot about whitetails in Utah. I have heard more in the northeast part of the state by Idaho. Anyone actually seen them in Utah, or better yet a picture?

i took a friends son over by robertson wyo about 10 yrs ago and be punched his tag with a NICE 8 point whitetail within 3 miles of the UT border... i glassed up over 20 whitetails in one hay pasture....

I know of at least one heard that resides east of Woodruff in the lowlands along the fields, haven't seen any bucks yet. As of last fall I know of 3 does and 5 fawns.

I know a guy at work that killed a white tail on the
wasatch front a couple of years ago. He was either above Bountiful or North SL. I'll see if I can get a picture from him. I saw a picture after he killed him and there was no doubt he was a white tail...

3 years ago while duck hunting the bear river bird refuge I saw a decent little forked horn run across the main road, getting closer to it i noticed it was different then it was not doubt in my mind it was a white tail. In talking to a few guides from the millionaire club they say they have seen them for years out there!!

Tallbuck1

Likewise Tallbuck 3 yrs ago seen 3 does and a fawn on Bear River bird refuage. One was hit on I-15 3 yrs ago in Ogden and KSL had one on video out of Logan a few years back .

Rutnbuck

Just like the wolves in Idaho, there's no fence keeping the whitey's out either, they are here.....and they have lots of friends.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-12 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]>Just like the wolves in Idaho,
>there's no fence keeping the
>whitey's out either, they are
>here.....and they have lots of
>friends.

slam dont u like the whiiteys?? have u ever shot one??

NE? Idaho?? You do live in UT right? I didn't think NE UT was anywhere near ID--don't let bess hear you say that:)

I have seen the in Cache Valley (clarkston area), BRMBR, and along weber/morgan county. There have been a couple bucks harvested up near Tony grove in the past but have not heard of anything recently. Reports of them in the Basin as well.

Why do you ask?

Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

During the rifle hunt in 2010. I seen 2 does and 2 fawns whitetail deer in Midway, UT near the river bottoms. I didn't get any pics, but I know for 100% that they were whitetail, especially when they ran away from me waving that big white bushy tail.

WIDOW_MAKER

I killed one in morgan in 2001 had fish and game check it they confirmed it was a whitetail. About 3 years old if you count his points like they count whitetails he's a 7 point main frame 6 with a 1 cheater on his right side. Was in the slc newspaper few years ago. Also I've seen them in Randolph on the creek bottoms.

I haven't seen any around Heber for awhile. They magically vanished. There was getting to be a decent little group of them.

There's a couple of them around but damn rare in these woods!

DWR doesn't want them here & I think they give the "KILL ON SIGHT" OK to most TARDS!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I understand the whitey/muley hybrids are inferior, but why does the DWR not want them? Seems like most of the country they prefer to inhabit isn't mule deer country. I would take a big muley over a big whitetail any day, but I would take that same whitetail over nothing or a small muley. Seems like of all the non natives, this one is the least invasive, or have I missed something?

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-12 AT 02:58PM (MST)[p]Its simple tard logic hossblur. You see Utah dwr give out way more money then any other state for problem deer/elk eating farmers crops. This is the tard part!

Now ask yourself where do white tail deer usually hang out? River bottoms and low hills. Do you know of any property in Utah where whitetail deer wont be in close proximity or directly effecting farmers crops and costing Utah DWR more $$$?

Now ask yourself, if mule deer are already stressed by having to compete with elk. Do you think they can handle coming off the upper hills from being hunted to near extinction and being forced to compete half starved with whitails for food is a good idea?

This is the reasons the DWR shoots them on sight in Utah! This is the reason when you do see them they dont hang around long!

Yeah I get the "don't compete well with elk" part, BUT I am pretty sure that we aint eradicating any elk to save deer any time in the future. Second, I see a lot of deer in the fields already.

I love to hunt deer, I consider it my heritage as a westerner, BUT I love to hunt deer EVERY YEAR, not just every 3 or 4 and if that means whitetails, so be it. I guess they don't have crops east of Utah? Somehow it works elsewhere.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Many years ago, there used to be a limited number of whitetails in Montana, but now, where ever they co-exist the "whities" have taken over mule deer country. Research indicates that whitetail bucks are much more aggressive, especially in breeding than mule deer so once they get their foot in the door, they ain't leaving.

I for one, think our native mule deer have enough competition already, without being crowded out by one more competitor. I guess what I am saying is, in a battle of survival of the fittest...mule deer will lose out, and to me that would be sad.

But by Gawd my name is hossblur and I want to hunt deer every year no matter what the repercussion is!!!! I want 200,000 tags back just like WW.....LOL

Ya!

Let's keep Hunting Mule Deer in the same fashion we have the last 40 years!

In another 10 years there won't be JACK SSHHITTT to hunt!

But BY GAWD the opportunity!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom