Who has a garden?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It might be just a touch early in some areas:) but it's time to think about this years garden. If you have one tell us about it. How big it is, what types of stuff you grow, etc.

I don't have much of one anymore but I used to be into it big time.

Where I live is on the north coast with cool to mild temps year 'round. I can't grow hot weather things like tomatoes, peppers, melons, and the like. But I could grow lettuce, broccoli, some squash, cucumbers, peas, etc.

My soil is very heavy clay type (lots of nutrients but poor drainage). I got some railroad ties and made some raised beds. I hauled in top soil. I had two 10'X30' and one 10'x10'.

One 10x30 I dedicated to strawberries. It was a total success. You can't buy strawberries like the ones you can grow. It seems anymore the strawberries are grown because they look pretty and keep well, but taste like crap. I had 12 dozen plants. That was enough to pick about a gallon every three days for about two months. To this day I can't eat store bought strawberries.

I used to grow lots of beets that we would can. I love pickled beets. Artichokes do well here also. They are good because once you plant them they last for many years. They will actually spread on their own. Mine died off this winter for some reason, so I'll plant new plants soon. It will take a couple years to get into full production.

I also had 6 apple trees and a plum tree. The racoons and the bears finally broke me down and I cut them all out. I also found a great early sweet corn that the coons would travel for miles to tear down, but only as soon as it got ripe.

Now that I'm getting ready to retire I might get back into it some. They say food prices are going to take a big jump, so that might be an incentive.

Eel

Sounds Great Eel! I don't have the space or i would too! I've had some nice gardens and helped guys that had even nicer. Unless a guy is going to go really big, Eels way, with the raised beds is the way to go. We used to put in a lot of fava beans, horse beans, Yummy!! :)

Them Strawberries sound great!

Joey

Very nice, sounds like you got quite a green thumb. Use to like gardening quite a bit when we had the old place.

We have plenty of room at the new house but recently we got some kind of noxious weed I can't seem to keep under control. I'm constantly clipping and pruning just to keep it under fence level.
Pot.jpg

I grow one as well. Me and wife always fought over what to plant in our 20 by 20 garden. So last year my neighbor had a smaller excavator at his place and I "borrowed" it and turned the step between our upper lawn and lower lawn into a 12 by 40 garden.... now we argue about who gets to plant "their" stuff in the sunny areas...

We really enjoy it, I get the kids involved as well. We have contests with the neighbors to see who can grow the biggest Pumpkins and what not. I make a ton of Pickels. We don't care for the mature Beets as much, but Steamed Beet Greens are real good.

I might have to look into the artichokes. We love to eat them, just never thought they would grow in a cool area.

I was eating a store bought cucumber the other night and commented that I cna't wait for some "real" veggies!!!

>Very nice, sounds like you got
>quite a green thumb. Use
>to like gardening quite a
>bit when we had the
>old place.
>
>We have plenty of room at
>the new house but recently
>we got some kind of
>noxious weed I can't seem
>to keep under control. I'm
>constantly clipping and pruning just
>to keep it under fence
>level.
>
Pot.jpg

Feleno thats a heck of a nice cash crop you have there . I have seen some of those pretty plants growin in the hills .

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-11 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]I decided to get serious last year after several years of not so serious gardening. I grow potatoes, peas, watermelons, squash, zucchini, corn, carrots, tomatoes & peppers. I have grown cantaloupes but probably not this year. I also have a nice raspberry patch and a strazberry patch (Much like a strawberry but a little sweeter). 4 apple trees, which thrive here, and 3 peach trees that I'm babying as this area isn't know for peaches.
I installed an automatic watering drip system last year that made a HUGE difference. I checked it a couple times through the summer and other than that, I didn't worry about water.
I've learned that if your plants lack water, sun, or good soil, you're wasting your time.

I hear SMACKDADDY has quite a Garden!

Last I heard the demand was greater than the supply!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

Feleno, I have some of those weeds in my garden too. I tried burning them out one year. For some reason it seemed so funny I laughed for about two days.

eldorado, a little color in the garden is good, it attracts the hummingbirds.:)

Eel, I live in simular conditions as you . I found a variety of tomato called thed the San Francisco Fog. I get plenty of tomatoes on the warmer years but not so much on the colder ones. Give them a try and you might be supprised.

although i havent been home to start my garden this year. it will be about 40x80 when planted. there will be corn, beets, tomatoes. green beans, squash, cabbage, bell peppers, banana peppers, and a few others. we change what we plant every year except the items i listed. eel i trap coons all year rond to keep them from eating my corn. they sure know when its ripe.we can alot of what we grow and we pickle alot also. my wife makes the best salsa i ever ate and we will plant more of what we need to make more.

We get frosts well into June and often see them again in late August. I put a greenhouse together a couple of years ago. The frame is of 1" pvc conduit. The conduit is more UV resistant than other types.

5456gh_frame.jpg

8354gh_frame_2.jpg

The plastic is actual green house plastic. It is tough and guaranteed for 4 years. The UV will destroy most plastics in a season.
6676gh_covered.jpg

The outside bed is reserved for peas and zuchini or potatoes.

2175gh_covered_2.jpg

The beds were already there from years past. I ended up ditching the soaker hoses as I had to water several buckets with tomatoes and peppers anyway.

It still gets too cold at nights in there into late April or May. I may cold frame the beds for the early season to double the protection... This greenhouse is about 12' by 26' and cost around $400 to build. It naturally would run a bit more if one were adding the cost of the raised beds. I built them some years ago from some rough cut lumber someone had discarded.

1631gh_beds.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-11 AT 09:10PM (MST)[p]Eel, every spring I get a helluva a urge to grow a garden.
I live at 7300 ft elevation (zone 6) and we have a short growing season.

First thing I did was plant asparagus. I now have a 2'x16' bed of asparagus (several varieties) that keeps us in asparagus for a few months of the year.

There are some great seeds out there. Last year was turned onto a spaghetti squash seed that is killer.

This year I have been working on a project the last few months. I will be planting almost 50 fruit trees. We live on the side of a mountain so I had to use a back hoe to dig holes in the rocky soil and get a couple semi loads of top soil.

Come fall, all I want to do is hunt.

America's #1 cash crop....
I am completely legal.....my buds are bigger than
Your buds.....big rhino, white widow, fire kush, salmon creek all
Done and ready to harvest as we speak....vegging some
Grand daddy purple and San Fernando Valley OG kush
for next cycle....... all indoors and very organic

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-11 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Fire Kush , Salmon creek ? My subriscption to High Times has been expired for some time , guess I need to do some studyin to keep up with the new stuff .

You kali guys definitely do know how to work the cash crop .

last year was my first attempt at a garden. I built 2 10x20 raised pads and planted beats, carrots, corn, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon. The things that turned out great, tomatoes, carrots, beats, radishes. A big storm hit and blew down all my corn. The cucumbers tasted funny. The cantaloupe was small but kids loved them. The watermelon was started to late and was also small. This year I want add another 10x20 bed and do potatoes, strawberries, raspberries, squash and a few fruit trees.

Is it too early to start anything indoors right now??

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Obviously you guys don't have Spring Salmon and Summer Steelhead in your neck of the woods. I do :) who's got time for a garden ?? :) :)

My bro and I grow tomatoes,squash,onions,garlic,carrots,radishes,strawberrys,Jalepenos,serranos,pablano's,dill,basil, got a couple apple tree's and a plum tree..The plum seems to always get the bloom knocked off with a hail storm... Got a short growing season here in the mountains,gotta plant a few months later than folks do down in the valley..

I wish we could have a couple citrus tree's but they wouldn't survive the winters...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

How did you bend your PVC so evenly?? Are you getting enough circulation with the front opening and small back window?? I am involved in a community garden and we are looking at low cost greenhouses and I like your setup.

Wildsage

Eel,
My garden is already up and growing. About 60' square. Got a row of beets. Like you I love pickled beets. Also grow salad stuff, (lettuce, raddish, carrots are all up and growing), red potatoes, swiss chard for my cooked greens, sweet corn, cantelope, watermelons, yellow squash, zucchinni, acorn squash, cucumbers, okra, a couple tomatoe plants and maybe some peppers. Most every thing is planted not all is up yet. Will get some tomatoe and pepper plants in the next week or so. Can't wait for the first veggies to be ready.

Phantom Hunter

Good to see some of you plant gardens. Man does not live on deer and elk meat alone.:)

mmwb, that's a great set up. I need to build one like that. Thanks for the tips.

swbuckmaster, it's not too early to start some plants indoor, I don't think. It depends on when your last frost is. Of the ones you listed I would start some tomato plants for sure. You'll have a head start. Be careful, some types of plants don't transplant very well, especially root crops. I've never had any luck transplanting squash either. Generally, the starter plants that you can buy at your garden shop are the ones that transplant well. Be sure to harden them off some before transplanting. That means setting them outside during the day and then back indoors over night for a week or so before putting them in the ground.

Jingow, I tried the San Francisco Fog tomato. A couple others I've tried are Eureka Mist and Burpee Early Girl. Zilch. The only success I've ever had was with patio varieties, like cherry tomatoes, grown in pots.

RACKMASTER, no wonder you can afford to hunt several different states every year.

Phantom Hunter, you have an early start for sure. Where are you located? Sounds like SW somewhere.

Eel

Eel,

I'm in West Central Texas, near Abilene. Spring has sprung here. The old mesquites have started to leaf out and the crappie are moving up into shallow water to spawn. Looks like a busy next few weeks catching crappie and weeding the garden but somebody's got to do it.

Phantom Hunter

Eel, you could build one of those pvc conduit greenhouses. Not a huge one but one for the tomatoes. When traveling through Washington one year I knew this guy that relocated and had a green house that he put black one gallon milk jugs in it around the sides. He said that the water ,once heated would retain the heat and keep the green house warmer in the winter. Have not tried it but it seems to make some since to me.

I grow corn for sour mash and oats for haggis. The sheep we kill up on Mauna Kea lungs make the best haggis. Ask 1911 he washes down the haggis with the white lightning.

overton, I hear you have banana plantations over there too. Well, at least one banana tree in your yard?

Jingow, I've heard that too. I might give that a try. I planted 4 new artichoke plants today. Now I have to wait at least a year.

Eel

all this garden talk made me go out and check on my compost pile I put together last year. when i opened it up there was nothing but black soil. pretty cool Ill have to build a few more of those this year.

To increase quality Utah needs to manage
for equal rights 33%/33%/33% for all
weapons.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/Us
er_files/4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

I enjoy my garden and the fresh veggies I get from it. The soil was so poor when we moved up on this dry mesa top. After digging tons of rock out of it and stealing soil wherever I could I finally had a start. It's been 13 years now and the soil is just starting to get good. I till in a bunch of horse manure and leaves every fall and then plant winter wheat on it. The wheat is to hold the soil in place since it is a very windy spot, it gets roto tilled back in the spring. I put about 35 pounds of nitrogen/A in to help speed up the decomposition. I planted my carrots two weeks ago along with beets, radish, spinach, and lettuce. The snap peas went in last Sunday. I figure I might loose some to a frost but it's worth it to get eating garden veggies early. The spring and summer garden gets planted through a 40 by 50 black polypropylene weed barrier. It usually lasts 5 seasons before I have to replace it and it saves a bunch of time on weeding as well as warming the soil up. I roll it up and store it during the late fall so the wheat can grow and the leaves and manure can break down. We canned 60 quarts of tomatoes last summer. My asparagus patch should be poking up any day now.

BeanMan, no beans?????:) I use the black polypropylene weed barrier too with strawberries. It keeps the weeds down and keeps the fruit clean.

Eel

I am just barely under 8000 feet.. We start most everything in the house. Then when it's up a ways those trays go to the green house and we start more inside. Green House is 20 by 20 but the North side is home to 30 head of Chickens. By father?s day the green house watering and house watering is an hour a day. Peas and spuds are up by then they seem to come on their own time and make it.
We move broccoli and cauliflower and such outside the week end after father?s day. Usually do very well, blanch freeze and can.. I don't have a lot of faith in our commercial food supply so we feed out 2 hogs every year also. We have some big sliders in our grand room with the perfect southern angle.
We have lettuce, kale, spinach and cherry tomatoes all winter long. I prefer Swiss chard but she says I can't have it in the winter until I buy her another big pot. Her trips to Santa fe suck for me $$$
She reluctantly lets me have my 20 stalks of 68 day corn?When I do get ears they are definitely not sweet corn. In 2009 we froze HARD Hoses were rock hard until noon the 9th of AUG.
You guys with your fruit trees make me wince, It just aint happening in Gunny Colo.
There has never been Oak brush East of Town?. I steal a few acorns from GMU 54 every fall and am trying them inside as of 3-15-11 Hope to move them to a South East Hillside that looks just like where it grows West of Town?. If I can get it started on the hill by the house I plan to enclose some more on my deeded where some deer winter?. If it works it will be 20 years before a GMU 551 deer ever takes a bite, but it is an idea I enjoy. Doing the same with service berry. I try to transplant 30 or so trees a year .
I hope who ever ends up with ?OUR PLACE? 30 years from now enjoys and appreciates it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom