Willard Peak Nanny Hunt

muley75

Just thought I would get some opinions on this hunt. I noticed the Willard Peak tag recommendations increased to from around 30 last year to 60 this year. Which gives me a darn good chance at drawing. My only concern now is with 35 either sex tags hunting first, am I going to have a chance on shooting a decent Nanny. I don't know this unit very well, can it support that many tags?

Thanks,
Scott

It can support it for a short time. DWR is trying to bring the population back in check.

You can often see hundreds of goats from the lookout point alone.

Grizzly

I live right below Willard Peak. I have seen more goats this past winter than ever before. Good year to draw that tag.

I live below Willard Peak. I have seen more goats this past winter than ever before. Good year to draw that tag.

There are tons of goats on that unit. In my opinion they should move goats to south of north ogden divide and put some on farmington canyon as well. This would open up two more hunts meaning more oppurtunity for everybody.

Most years it is late June before ya can get thru the basin and over to Insperation but this year it may be snowed in until your hunt dates! ha

You should be fine if ya draw.

It will sound like a war zone the first day and then really die down and the Mnt. goats will move back up the mountain out of the cliffs and crags.

Robb

There are enough goats to support this harvest level at least for a while. As already mentioned, the biggest issue will be the hunter density on opening day / week. The goats are primarily located within just a couple main areas. It will be a war on opening day. There will be enough goats in the cliffs that survive that some of the best goats will be shot late in the season once the pressure subsides. Weather is also a big factor, and if opening day coincides with a storm that will change success dramatically. With any reasonable amount of effort you should still be able to harvest a good goat late in the season.
Bill

Don't ask your dad to go. There ain't no tops to those mountains, just sides. He may be will to look at you thru a spotting scope from the top road or while sitting on a patio down at the bottom, sipping mint juleps (non-alcoholic).

>There are tons of goats on
>that unit. In my
>opinion they should move goats
>to south of north ogden
>divide and put some on
>farmington canyon as well.
>This would open up two
>more hunts meaning more oppurtunity
>for everybody.

They have already migrated over to Lewis peak and some even over to Mt. Ogden peak.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom