Wind River Indian Reservation Question.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-15 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]I have no idea what the rules are. I don't know if you have to have a indian guide or what. I have never looked into the info

And you might have to be part of the tribe to hunt

To the best of my knowledge there is no hunting allowed on Tribal lands by anyone licensed through the Wyoming G&F. I just read an article that stated the crime rate on the reservation is something like 7 times as bad as anywhere else in the country. If that is anywhere near the case, I'd stay away from there no matter how good the hunting might be!

Not the Reservation, or private land owned by Native Americans. Believe it is the same as in years past, and it is open on non-Indian owned fee simple (titled) land. These would be very small parcels.

I think Ill call the area biologist on this. The Wind River Reservation is quite a tract of land and I'm curious.
Hunting may not be great. If anything like home the Indians can harass the animals all year long.

>I think Ill call the area
>biologist on this. The Wind
>River Reservation is quite a
>tract of land and I'm
>curious.
>Hunting may not be great. If
>anything like home the Indians
>can harass the animals all
>year long.

It's a huge chunk of land and if you get caught on any of it by their people you'll find out what kind of "justice" system they have!

A good friend is a registered Native American for S-B tribe, but his wife is not. She is not even allowed in the vehicle on the Reservation, while they are hunting. They found that out the hard way, and yes, they did get ticketed.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-15 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]>That's why I'm researching whether or
>not hunting is permissible TOPGUN.
>

Please read post #7 closely, as it basically mirrors what I mentioned in my reply trying to help you. I would even hazard an educated guess that if you call the G&F that they'll tell you they aren't even allowed on Tribal grounds! FYI Indian Reservations are treated similar to being in a foreign country with their own Judicial system, law enforcement officials, etc., and they do not mess around. I read recently that a Montana GW was held by Tribal authorities for a number of hours for trespassing on what they felt was part of their legal grounds and it resulted in state authorities getting involved to get him released. IMHO I would not even think about getting close to that Reservation, let alone on it from what I've read about the crime rate alone amongst their own people. The one article mentioned that in one night alone one of the higher up law officials drove over 400 miles investigating a bunch of calls and arrested 19 people! Sounds like a great place---to be away from!

Outfitter Jim Allen operates somewhere in that area up there and has for a long time.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

You can only hunt on deeded land within the reservation. I have hunted it for several years for deer and antelope.

Basically you can hunt on white-people owned land within the reservation. I have family (we are white) that live just outside of Riverton WY on the Reservation. I can hunt their land but it's not worth it. Anyone who has hunted a reservation that isn't managed knows exactly why you wouldn't want to hunt it.

>You can only hunt on deeded
>land within the reservation. I
>have hunted it for several
>years for deer and antelope.
>
>
>Basically you can hunt on white-people
>owned land within the reservation.
>I have family (we are
>white) that live just outside
>of Riverton WY on the
>Reservation. I can hunt their
>land but it's not worth
>it. Anyone who has hunted
>a reservation that isn't managed
>knows exactly why you wouldn't
>want to hunt it.

Dang, I didn't know you was white folk!!! How's the eye doing?

>>You can only hunt on deeded
>>land within the reservation. I
>>have hunted it for several
>>years for deer and antelope.
>>
>>
>>Basically you can hunt on white-people
>>owned land within the reservation.
>>I have family (we are
>>white) that live just outside
>>of Riverton WY on the
>>Reservation. I can hunt their
>>land but it's not worth
>>it. Anyone who has hunted
>>a reservation that isn't managed
>>knows exactly why you wouldn't
>>want to hunt it.
>
>Dang, I didn't know you was
>white folk!!! How's the
>eye doing?

Still can't shoot straight!

Along with other crime, poaching and wasting meat are epidemics on the Rez. Sports afield even had a full article on it a few years ago. Tribal members are also some of the worst trespassers I've seen.

I think the Rez has some great hunting on it if you are a member and willing to get out of the truck.

Of course you can't hunt tribal lands with a regular state issued tag or licence. Come on, that's pretty standard. Call the wind river tribe if you want details.

A lady from the tribe killed a huge nontypical muley 8 or 10 years ago on their res, so maybe its not as bad as the ,"know it all's" on here portray

>Of course you can't hunt tribal
>lands with a regular state
>issued tag or licence.
> Come on, that's pretty
>standard. Call the
>wind river tribe if you
>want details.
>
> A lady from the
>tribe killed a huge nontypical
>muley 8 or 10
>years ago on their res,
>so maybe its not as
>bad as the ,"know it
>all's" on here portray

What does a lady Tribe member that hunted there legally have to do with what we're talking about, as you lost me on that comment?

Your lost about half the time TOPGUN.
I was likewise wondering about your comment about the crime rate on the reservation, what has that got to do with what we are talking about?

>Your lost about half the time
>TOPGUN.
> I was likewise wondering about
>your comment about the crime
>rate on the reservation,
>what has that got to
>do with what we are
>talking about?

It has a lot to do with it! You say a Tribal lady shot a nice buck and I don't doubt that at all, but that doesn't have anything to do with white folk not having access to the Reservation. On the other hand I, for one, wouldn't go near a place that has a high crime rate whether it's walking down the street in some crime infested ghetto, or a place that has the crime rate the article mentioned that Reservation has. The same thing could be said of going into Mexico on a hunt the way things are down there. Why take a chance risking life and limb in order to kill an animal was my point when I mentioned the crime rate.

Hunting within the external boundaries of the Reservation is only allowed on a state license on non-indian owned fee deeded land. There is no hunting by non-tribal members elsewhere on the reservation.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom