Wolf Hunting

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I want to get a wolf. I've seen a couple of them over the years in Wyoming. I wonder what the odds would be of finding one in say.....10 days of hunting? What do you guys think?
As I said, I've only seen a couple in many, many days in Wyoming. Sure be a neat and rare trophy and a good excuse to be backpacking the backcountry up there.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-12 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]Why go all the way to Wyoming? I would go up Hobble creek or Diamond fork. I have heard of guys who may or may not have killed a wolf on the deer hunt last year. :)

I mean it was a giant cyotes with a radio collar.

With all the rumors last winter and "wolf sightings" with no pics. Who knows though.

This Spring I had my Knee rebuilt, so dint get to go shed hunting with my sons and friends. On three trips to Diamond fork they all told me there were alot of those (huge Coyote) tracks where the Elk usually winter. My Family comes from a Wyoming Ranching background. My dad used to tell me about Wolves when I was little He said there only good for target practice, and from what People I Know say he was right

Who knows what it was. I never saw pics. You know how a story get bigger and bigger. So for all I know now, its a 800 pound black bear. Maybe even a grizzly or polar bear. There was a guy who had a pack of wild dogs that were let go up there also.

I imagine it would be like buying a mountain lion tag and heading out without dogs. You might spend the rest of your life and not see one. But then again, you might get lucky.

I think a better approach (for me) would be to pick an area known for wolves and plan a 10 day fishing trip to the high country packing into different lakes and streams. Have your rifle and tag along "just in case". Maybe spend some time hunting wolves off and on during the 10 days, but decide ahead of time it's a fishing/sight seeing/scouting trip.

I think if I spent 10 days specifically hunting wolves I would go stir crazy. But then I don't have a deep desire to kill one either.

Eel

Good luck. I know that when I hunted in Canada every outfitter I have been with has told me the following, 1 in 10 hunters will see a wolf, 1 of 10 hunters that actually see a wolf will get a shot at the wolf, of the hunters that get a shot only 1 of 10 will actualy get one. I realize Canada is different but still the same. In the half dozen times I have been there and AK, I have only seen a wolf on one trip and I shot 2 on that trip. Just dumb luck.

There are a number of guides that go into the backcountry of Idaho and have decent success.
Rng Travis Bullock in Challis, he can get you started.

Well it would be counter productive to the deer and elk hunting, but a locator call (howler) would likely bring a pack a calling.

hike into the lochsa or selway units, those are probly the best odds in the whole country

It is better to have tried and failed than never tried at all. I'll be just taking a weekend to try for mine.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-12 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]>I wish Wyoming wouldn't have set
>the non-ressy price @ 10
>times that of a resident.
>

I don't think anyone should be complaining about the non rezi price. If you hunt outside the trophy zone, the cost is free. With them setting the quota at 52 in the TZ, $181 is more than reasonable. If folks can't afford that, they probably outta find a different hobby anyway...

>Idaho- N.R. 31.75 Resident-11.50 and
>both liscenses can buy
>up to 5-tags each! Come
>and get em..
#1....come get 'em!!

I would hit up Idaho if you want to hunt wolves as a NR. Or MT if you want to kill one.

It is going to be tough no matter where you go but ID and MT would be my picks. I got the MT tag :)

Hey Triple BB, I have been following this lately, but I'm not familiar with the 'trophy zone'. Where is the "trophy zone" exactly?

Hunt late on elk wintering grounds. Cut tracks on a road and then start using locator calls and glassing. I think wolf hunting will get twice as hard each year for the next few years. 5 years from now no wolves will come into a call or be within a half mile of a road.

$180 sounds a little high, when you look at Idaho, but I'll have a tag in my pocket for sure. I really don't expect to see one. I have hunted in WY for the better part of 20 years, and have only seen, maybe 5 wolves. The last one I saw was in sunlight basin about three years ago. He was a big, black wolf all alone, walked right under me at under 100 yds. He caught my wind, instantly stopped and instantly had me pegged. The encounter was actually pretty cool. Would have been a lot cooler if I would have had a wolf tag.

IN 1993 I WAS HUNTING IDAHO BACK COUNTRY FOR ELK. I WAS SITTING ON A BIG TAMERACK TREE THAT WAS DOWN. HEARD A NOISE AND A NICE LOOKING WOLF WAS WALKING DOWN THE TREE TO ME. I LET HIM GET WITHIN 10-12 FEET BEFORE I SAID "HEY".......HE THEN VANISHED......NEAT EXPERIENCE..................YD.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-12 AT 07:21AM (MST)[p]I have some buddys that hunt them in Idaho. They respond well to cow and calf elk calls, but many times will not break timber. They are tough to hunt!

Like a bull elk that is "hung up" in the trees, sometimes you have to "show them the goods", to validate your calling!

wolfrig.jpg

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

If I read it correctly, you must first have the $140.00 Hunting license to then buy the wolf tag in Idaho.

Robb

Would be nice if wolves were added to the list for the less expensive Idaho Small Game and 3-Day NR licenses. Don't get me wrong, these critters have cost a LOT to manage to date and the extra $$ is good, but I don't want to see guys not coming to Idaho for a quickie wolf hunt because of Lic fee's. Maybe this could be for neighboring states at least(wa, or, nv, ut, wy, mt), that's a pretty big list.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom