Wyoming antelope successes

alsatian

My son took a buck and I took a doe pronghorn antelope about a week ago just south of Gillette, Wyoming, on a small ranch where we paid a trespass fee. My son's buck had about 13.25" horns. this was our first pronghorn hunt, hopefully not our last. My son "stalked" his buck in plain view, sitting on his butt and leaning back on his elbows, scooting slowly down a hill. The herd does were bedded down and complacently observed my son. When the buck that my son was stalking was brousing on what I guess was sage brush, my son inched forwards. When the buck looked up, my son would stop. He got to about 150 yards away from the buck and took him with a single shot from a .25-06. The shot was a little back and pierced the stomach, but only about 6" back from what I would think was an optimal shot position. Small animals!

I stalked through a zig-zag dry creek bed. Initially I had set after some bucks, but I realized I wasn't getting closer to them very quickly -- I found it difficult to judge distances out there -- so I switched to stalking some does. I had to cross to a second dry creek bed over about 40 yards of open ground and belly crawled across this, not daring to lift my head to look at the does. They stayed in place, and I took my doe from 240 yards with a .243. My shot, also, was about 6" back from what would be optimal and pierced the stomach.

There were lots of pronghorn -- a surprising number, in fact -- around Gillette. I could have gotten a buck if I had waited until later in the day or the next day. I had made some plans to meet someone in SW Wyoming the following day to do some fishing, however, and felt pressed to take an animal quickly. Next time I won't divide my priorities in this manner but focus on the hunting.

This was our first pronghorn antelope hunt. Boy, they sure smell bad! I skinned, cut-up, and processed the meat myself. We ate a leg roast from my doe last night, and it was very good. My wife and oldest daughter said they thought it was better than deer and tasted different from deer. I thought it was quite similar to deer, but I sort of thought I detected an extra zing or spiciness to the antelope. At any rate, it was good and tasty. I think the rear leg roasts, shoulder roasts, and backstraps will be free from any taint from the punctured stomachs. I'm not so confident that meat cut off from the ribs and meat from the neck which I mixed with the rib meat during the initial quartering of the animals will be free from tainting. I washed the meat later and hope this helped.

This was a fun trip and we hope to hunt these animals again. I found I was pretty tired from my stalk and felt this made it difficult for me to shoot. I should have taken an additional 10 minutes to rest before shooting. The antelope had stayed in place during the 30-45 minutes stalk: they probably would have stayed in place another 10 minutes.

Antelope hunting is a hoot isn't it, at least for Texans. Took my first antelope trip this year too, near Douglas on public land. I shot a small buck and my brother-in-law got a 12". I should have waited also, but watched four other people shoot and miss at the one I finally took. I had never seen so many other hunters in one area before. The antelope were just chased back and forth the entire time we were there.

How did the scouting trip to Missionary Ridge go?

Chambero:

The Missionary Ridge scouting trip washed out. We were ready to go, started driving up to the 11,500' trailhead Friday, October 22, and ran into snow at 10,000' before we had gone a mile up the forest road (La Plata County 253/FR 682) which limited visibility to about 100 yards. We figured that if this weather prevailed above, that we couldn't scout much and we couldn't enjoy the trip merely as a backpacking trip. We feared we couldn't follow the trail and that if we struck out on our own that we might have a hard time orienteering back to our truck. If these problems weren't enough, we feared we might get snowed in somewhere along the trail or that we would have a problem driving back down off the mountain. So we pulled the plug on the trip. We had met some hunters at breakfast at the hotel in Durango who had said they terminated their outfitted hunt on Missionary Ridge (going in from Lemon Reservoir, so I presume on the eastern side of Missionary Ridge whereas we would have been on the western side of Missionary Ridge) and come down the afternoon before because they saw snow clouds coming in. They said they had seen good numbers of elk. They saw a big 7x7 which a hunter had two opportunities to take but failed to take. One of them took a 5x5 after earlier passing on a 6x6.

This was a pretty hard disappointment for me, but I think it was the right decision. My 14 year old son was with me, and I don't want to take any undue risks with him. I'm confident backpacking in this high country when the trails are clear and weather is fair, but potential 3 foot snowfalls are another situation entirely. There will be future trips and future hunts. I may try to arrange a family vacation to Durango and then escape for a two day backpacking trip with my son up to this area to scout in fair August weather. Then again, I could just go on into the country without an advance scouting trip and do a "scout-as-you-hunt" hunting trip.

alsatian,
CONGRATULATIONS to you and your son on a successful trip.
What did you decide to do with the head?
FYI- I got a letter from Chaney Taxidermy last week that said my European mount is done. He said it would take about 60 days and it actually took about 20. Makes me wonder about quality, but I trust him I guess.
Congats again, any pics?

Lien2

Lien2:

I took the buck to Chaney. He estimated march/april for a shipping date for us. Maybe he estimates conservatively so he doesn't have to rush stuff? As I said, this is my first mount and so I'm not a sophisticated consumer of taxidermy. It is for my son, however, so I hope it is good and lasts awhile. My son would be pretty disappointed if the mount was crummy.

I have pictures of my son's buck, but my home computer is acting up so I haven't been able to down load them from the camera. If and when I get this problem solved I'll try to figure out how to post the picture. I don't have any pictures of my doe -- other than hanging from a gambrel which isn't very pretty -- because my son didn't know how to use the digital camera and mistook the focusing audio tone for the photo snap audio tone. He is a 14-year old. I could imagine myself making this error. I should have confirmed the picture in the image viewer of the camera but was in a hurry.

I've been up on Missionary a few times when snow came in. The roads can get a little interesting. Sounds like you had a good time though.

Here is a picture of my son's pronghorn:

michaelhann111604.jpg

The rifle is a custom made .25-06 that my father made using a Springfield .30-06 action.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom