Wyoming elk draw-----What to do?

goofyelk

Very Active Member
With non-res elk apps opening in January, I find myself in December
studying draw odds and units......

I have max points (10 ), and have been applying for unit 32.
I Would mainly concentrate 3rd week of September with my bow..
Only about a 10% chance of drawing last year for special permit..
(It was about the same for the regular permit last year as-well)

Anyway,
A couple weeks ago, my 18 year old, who has 7 points, told me he
would like to hunt elk in Wyoming as-well...
This sent my wheels spinning!!!!!!!

I've been looking at a dual aplication us for units we may very well draw.
With 17 combine points there are some solid options.
The problem is, some of the units I'm looking at I've never set foot in.
If drawn though, I could do a scouting trip or two early and be OK.

I'm looking hard at 16-2, It's a November rifle but if drawn we could
hunt September archery....The Shirley Mountain look to be the 'go-to' spot.
Just curious if anyone has any experience in 16 during September archery?
Sure looks like plenty of BLM ground to hunt.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I assume you're aware, but just in case, when applying as a group your points are averaged, not totaled. You'll be in together with 8.5 points not 17.

16 is one of the best areas in central WY and the state in my opinion. They pull out some smoker bulls every year. I think it was three years ago a guy whacked a 380 class bull with his bow. I hunted with a family member that year. We saw some great bulls scouting and ended up with a good 5x7. 16-2 is basically the same hunt with better draw odds than the type 1 tag. Its one of those tags I'd take every year if I could draw it...

Im doing the same research now myself. One thing I learned about 32 is there were only 3 non resident tags available last year in the special draw and NO licenses in the regular draw, keep that in mind.

If I had max points I'd be after one of the Cody area late hunts no question about it.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-15 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]>Im doing the same research now
>myself. One thing I learned
>about 32 is there were
>only 3 non resident tags
>available last year in the
>special draw and NO licenses
>in the regular draw, keep
>that in mind.

That is incorrect! 32-1 had 3 tags in both the Reg PP Draw and the Special PP Draw in 2015 just as the OP stated in his post. Each had a little better than a 10% chance at those tags with the max of 9PPs.

For the OP: You need to be aware that with an average of 8.5PPs going into the 2016 draw you may not draw 16-2 in either of the PP draws with so few tags issued if just several people apply with 9 or 10 PPs in those draws.

Forkwest,
Yes I know, I'm using 8.5 looking at units I may dual app in.

Triple_BB,
THANKS.
I do value your opion.

Anther couple options I'm looking at is unit 24 Special.
The expense there is very high.
Doable but OUCH!

And unit 45.
8.5 points should pull that permit.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-15 AT 07:31PM (MST)[p]45 is a great unit if you can draw the tags and hunt at certain times. I prefer the archery hunt by drawing the Type 9 tag that's good all of September or the 45-1 tag that allows you to also buy the archery permit for the last half of September and fall back on the rifle hunt in October. The one trouble is that 45 is sort of a zoo after the first two weeks of September on through the rifle season because of the huge number of rifle bull and cow tags that are issued. That's why I prefer the first half of September when it's pretty decent human wise up there. I was up there last September that first two weeks helping a friend that drew the Type 9 tag. The hunt was very slow for everyone due to the ridiculous heat all Fall, but he should still have killed a good bull the second week and missed.

I've hunted 45 a couple times myself, and I've hunted the Cody late hunts. they're not on the same page of music.

PM me if you're interested . I hate to see someone blow max points.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

With a youth & diy, you need to concentrate on one tag at a time anyway. I think you should plan 2 hunts. Not likely you will even come close to filling both tags diy.

I was in the Shirley Mnts a few years ago in late Sept. Seen two of the largest bulls I've ever seen, sure wish I had a tag.
7 Mag

Towotee,
I have unit 58 circled on my Wyoming map,
Did some research into that unit a few years ago.
Being an archery hunter more than rifle, I started looking
at more bow friendly units....

junior,
I hear what your say'in!
Going to have to think hard about that.

Treedagain,
I'll be in touch if I go that route...

And Topgun,
That confirms my fear/thoughts on unit 45.......Thanks.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I have to echo Junior, draw one this year and do it again next year. I would jump on the 8 point hunts as point creep keeps coming. Then you will still be at max points for the draw next year. Also are you getting right back in the game or is this a one shot deal? That plays heavy on down grading to a less then top tier hunt if this is a one shot deal. If you are getting right back in then draw as soon as you can.

DZ

>I have to echo Junior, draw
>one this year and do
>it again next year.
>I would jump on the
>8 point hunts as point
>creep keeps coming. Then
>you will still be at
>max points for the draw
>next year. Also are
>you getting right back in
>the game or is this
>a one shot deal?
>That plays heavy on down
>grading to a less then
>top tier hunt if this
>is a one shot deal.
> If you are getting
>right back in then draw
>as soon as you can.
>
>
>DZ

You lost me with that comment DZ! It appears you want him to just buy another point this year and try to get his boy a tag to do that one hunt this year. However, if the boy only has 7 PPs, they would need to concentrate on units that he could draw with 7PPs or less and not 8 like you mentioned if I understand your post.

Yes go for it with 7, (sorry I was going off memory, which is not a good thing). One Bull tag would be what I would want to concentrate on. You can always put in for a cow tag too. It is always possible to go out and get two great bulls, but it is a lot easier to go out and get one this year and another one in the future. Just my 2 cents.

DZ

+1 great advice especially seeing how long it takes to get a good tag in Wyoming these days!

I do think that if one has the chance to hunt one of the better limited quota areas now vs. waiting for one of the top exclusive area in potentially 10-20 years...then I'd recommend hunting now. Things change both personally and w/ the Game Departments. You might get hurt, the quota could be reduced for NRs...a very real possibility in Wyoming. It all comes down to something you haven't discussed with us yet...what are you and your son's goals? It foolish to wait to draw the best area in the state if you are going to shoot the first 300 or 320 or 330 bull you see. Once we know what you are looking for then the rest is easy. I do think great opportunity exists in Wyoming for anyone seeking any 6 pointer as well as any 300, 320, 330+ bull. Anything greater than that will take a bit more planning and a little bit of luck as the intangibles can always crop up on a hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-15 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]30hart,
I've killed several bulls.
My boy has not.

It would take a 320+ bull with my bow to get me excited.
Were my son, Anything bigger than a rag horn would work.

We've been talking about it for a couple days,
Going to spit it into 2 hunts..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-15 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]30hart,
>I've killed several bulls.
>My boy has not.
>
>It would take a 320+ bull
>with my bow to get
>me excited.
>Were my son, Anything bigger than
>a rag horn would work.
>
>
>We've been talking about it for
>a couple days,
>Going to spit it into 2
>hunts..
>
If that's the case, you can put the boy in for a lot of different units that he can draw with his 7PPs and he'll have a chance at a lot better than a raghorn in any of them. If you need a 320+ or better bull you can even do that in a lot of the general units, so with your PP total you may even want to party with your son next year for one of the better units because even halving your PPs as a party would get you two good tags in an awful lot of units and you would be hunting with him two years in a row---just thinking out loud!

goofy---

Have ya tossed around the idea of applying for the same unit but not applying as a group?

Just a thought--

Robb

Robb Yes.

I was thinking I might as well put him in for the
same unit as I apply for....See if he can get lucky in the
Random draw...

I'm narrowed down to a hand full of units,
Just comes down to how bad I want to hunt Wyoming 2016....

I could go 24-1 or 16-1, likely draw, and hunt archery..
Have the rifle hunt as a back up.
Or go 32-1, 31-1, 58-1..But will most likely take a few more years.

Another thing is I have max deer points too, plus 5 antelope.
The boy has 7 deer points and 6 antelope.
So there is more Wyoming hunts coming than just the elk....

I just kinda want to get the elk done as I watch the years fly
by, In my mid-fifties and starting to feel it.
Elk can be A LOT of work!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

One thing to consider if you decide on 16 is the Q Ranch owns a huge chunk of that unit. A lot of elk are off limits on private..especially after the shooting begins. The rifle season can also be fairly frustrating because the elk tend to know exactly where the Q Ranch fence borders are located.

One more thing to think about is what is your son's schedule going to be like. I have had two sons go flying right past the magic age of 18. One could still hunt the other was out of the game for a few years. You might think about pulling the trigger on his hunt first. You really could use his hunt to scout for yours, if you like what you see. Also if you land in a unit that 5 points gets you the tag then he could have it for sure this year and both of you could have it next year, on your points. Plenty to consider.

DZ

Where are you guys doing your research to find how many licenses were available during the regular and special draws because evidently my source isnt correct ?

Since I cant mention a outfitters name and get my post deleted but yet others can post pictures with a outffiters name on the picture I don't see the difference.

So if anyone is interested in some info for the outfitter I will be guiding for please let me know. I will also give info about outfitters that I would recommend .

elk area 55

>
>
>Robb Yes.
>
>I was thinking I might as
>well put him in for
>the
>same unit as I apply for....See
>if he can get lucky
>in the
>Random draw...
>
>I'm narrowed down to a hand
>full of units,
>Just comes down to how bad
>I want to hunt Wyoming
>2016....
>
>I could go 24-1 or 16-1,
>likely draw, and hunt archery..
>
>Have the rifle hunt as a
>back up.
>Or go 32-1, 31-1, 58-1..But will
>most likely take a few
>more years.
>
>Another thing is I have max
>deer points too, plus 5
>antelope.
>The boy has 7 deer points
>and 6 antelope.
>So there is more Wyoming hunts
>coming than just the elk....
>
>
>I just kinda want to get
>the elk done as I
>watch the years fly
>by, In my mid-fifties and starting
>to feel it.
>Elk can be A LOT of
>work!
>
>
4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Boy sound like me last year and now again this year. I have 9 PP for elk and ay 63 (come SEP) I need to use them up. Right now I am leaning at 38 type 9. I'd like to pick a unit I know I can draw so I an plan. I also have max deer and 6 antelope.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-15 AT 00:49AM (MST)[p]The mags will be pimping 16-2 this year, eastmans already has, as they did last year. That combined with all the net hype, 16-2 will be a max point tag from here until eternity. You have a chance but your boy never will.

Was speaking with my neighbor while out shoveling snow last week. His kid had a 16-2 tag. Was asking how they did. He said they ended up with a rag horn. He said they saw several smoker bulls, but could never get caught up with them. Don't know about the draw odds. Would imagine they're still quite a bit better than the 16-1 tag. I'd take either tag over about 90% of the areas in Wyoming...

Well,
After a long hard personal debate on units,
I put in for 32-1.

It's close enough to scout, and REALLY put hard effort into if drawn.

I (we)kids, have several other opportunity's for 2016..
If I don't draw Wyoming elk, I'm burning my Utah elk points,
And getting the kids deer tags....

THANKS for all the GREAT advice guys!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom