Wyoming Muley & Goat advise

Andt7385

First time poster long time follower to the website.. My brother and I are from Green Bay, WI area and are planning a hunt for 2020. We just purchased our second preference points for both species this week. I am looking for recommendations on best units to chase muleys/whitetail with goats mixed in with the rifle. Would like P&Y or better quality on the deer, and would be interested in paying a private landowner for rights for the week if possible. I know some areas or units are more friendly to out of towners than others and if anyone could offer advise on where/how to start it would be appreciated.

First thing I would do is start looking at units that you can draw with 2 points. There aren't many on the western half of the state.
Start off there and come back with some more refined questions on specific units and people can/will be more helpful.

py

The Wyoming Game and Fish Website has a ?hunt planer? section that is very useful. Spending a hours on the Wyoming G&F website will help you really understand what your options are for different areas. If you don't want to spend hours doing the research yourself, you can hope someone on a forum will give you good information or you can pay for a service like gohunt.
Here is a link to Wyoming G&F were you can do your own research.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner
You can see how many preference points it took to draw a unit last year, success rates and public vs private land for a unit. Unit numbers for pronghorn and deer are different in Wyoming. Most western states keep consistent unit numbers for an area regardless of species.

Most areas that require 2 or less points for pronghorn have more private land. If you have to have both buck pronghorn and buck deer tags in 2020, Eastern Wyoming with limited public land has many units you could choose from. That isn't a problem if you are willing to pay a trespass fee or higher an outfitter. If you want to hunt DYI public land, you still could try in Eastern Wyoming but personally I would consider waiting 2-4 years for your pronghorn tag

With 2 points you should be able to get many general season deer tags. There are also some controlled deer hunts and in the South central part of Wyoming that take less than 5 points. If this is going to be a hunting trip that you would likely repeat then I would recommend you consider getting general deer tags for an area that requires 4-6 points for pronghorn and try to get your pronghorn tags in random draw. You may also have reasonable odds at doe pronghorn tags in that unit or a nearby unit. Then in another 2-4 years you will have enough points to get another general deer tag and pronghorn tag for the same area that you have already hunted and know what to expect.
If you are mostly interested in whitetail deer then the NE corner of Wyoming is an area you should consider.

Good luck.

This is, like many other things, about either about time or money. With 2 points, you can draw most of the antelope areas in eastern Wyoming and most of the deer regional licenses as well. The hurdle you have to clear is to find a rancher that allows trespass fee hunting for the amount of money you want to spend.

I would suggest you check with the Gillette (Campbell County), Douglas (Converse County),and Lusk (Niobrara County) Chambers of Commerce. The G&F people might also have ideas, but this is their busy time of year, so you may not reach them. The chambers of commerce generally keep lists of ranchers that allow trespass fee hunting.

You're smart to start now. The best ranches fill up early so it is not too early to start for 2020.

Best of luck and Go Packers!!

I appreciate the information and all of the help, particularly the "Go Packers". I spent a few hours researching last night and it does seem like 2-3 preference points is no man's land. The areas of interest for us would be Region M- unit 164, Region C- units 17 & 29, and Region B- units 22 & 10. I will contact the COC's and look at trespass fees. If we cannot locate a property that way, I am thinking we find another state for 2020 and wait until we have some accumulated preference points. Any input or possible leads to the units mentioned would be appreciated. Thank each of you again for all the help!

I was gonna help until I saw where you were from...
So this is all I've got

13295c5de95efc5bf41f6b9998a4f7df0c203.jpeg

))))----------->

Your not going to get a lot of good info off MM for Wyoming Muleys but since I'm not going to put in for Wyoming mule deer anymore I will let you know that Region G and H hold some great deer if your willing to hike and get off the road. Region G East side above Smoot and Afton are premier Muley locations just get above cottonwood reservoir out of Smoot on either side and you will find some big deer. As far as antelope probably one of the easiest but funnest hunts you will have plenty of goats in Wyoming and most landowners want you to kill them to be honest. MM isn't the best site to ask questions everyone will beat around the bush and try to discourage you from hunting in Wyoming not sure why since non residents are a HUGE financial resource to WGF and local businesses?!

If you promise to where a Bears hat your entire hunt I'll give you some good areas to head to. Just a quick word of advice. If you wanna hunt more rather than wait 7 years put in for region H. Arguably as good a unit as G but with half the utards running up every trail head.

))))----------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom