Wyoming Points

Bikes

Will the newly enacted point system for elk and deer get us anything? Is this getting in on the ground floor for an early opportunity at a good hunt or simply a waste of money for a long wait for a poor hunt?

Depends on your outlook. If you are hoping for a 400 bull, think again.

Personally, by getting in on the ground floor I have gauranteed myself I will hunt someday in an area of my chosing. Before the points, I could apply and hope but not much more.

Selfish? Probably. I do feel for the people who don't/didn't get in this year. Most of us know what it feels like to jump in a PP program years behind the leaders.

As for deer, I doesn't make a diffeence to me as I hunt an area that has good odds already

Your hunt will be what you make of it

I don't think anybody knows how things will play out. As a non-resident I think it will be a benefit to know if I have enough points to draw the hunt I am planning.

Some things could change a lot. The last couple of years a non-resident had an 80% chance of drawing a special general elk tag. If people start banking points it is difficult to say how many points it will take to draw this tag in the future.

I think many outfitters supported this change so the survival of their business wouldn't be on the luck of the draw each year but I talked to one outfitter that said he thought a lot of outfitters would go out of business. In the past they could market their hunts to anybody but in the future they will have to look for people who have enough points for their area.

If you save those points will you be able to get that trophy of a lifetime? We will have to wait and see.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom