Youth Mule Deer Hunt Recomendations

cowslayer

Hey Guys and Gals,

My 9 year old wants to hunt big game so bad that his teeth ache. I am looking at taking him down to New Mexico as he has his hunter safety and wants a mule deer buck... It doesn't have to be a big buck, but we would like to see a good number of animals and a chance to shoot a buck. I am thinking rifle and the closer to Utah, the less we have to drive. I want him to draw... What's your thoughts of the 2b Youth Hunt?

Is it worth it? Are there some other units you would recommend.

Thanks CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-11 AT 03:00PM (MST)[p]I live in unit 2 and as residents our odds of drawing a tag are much higher than a NR and even still, my son has never drawn and I haven't drawn a rifle tag in over 15 years.

Forget about the twos.

Unit 16 has some deer and is pretty easy to draw. No doubt that unit 2 has tons more deer, but the chances of drawing a tag are so slim it wouldn't be worth it. You need to take you kid hunting for muley's, so either put him in for Colorado where he can draw every other year or so or look into some other units in NM with better draw odds.

Also, I highly recomend getting him a youth encouragement cow elk tag. Great times hunting with the kids can be had on cow hunts that have great chances of actually filling the tag.

Whatever you decide good luck to you!

P.S. You should go to www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com - JFWRC is a sponsor of MM and Jim is a great guy. I have purchased antelope tags from him for myself & my two boys so I have complete confidence in recomending him since I have had several very good experiences in dealing with him. I'm sure he can hook your kid up on a mule deer hunt.

Cheers!

Unit 45 in the pecos. The kids always slam the biggest bucks of the year during the rut. Beautiful country and an easy hunt.

In my opinion, I think Unit 2 would be a good first choice but as stated it is a difficult draw. I would also look into some of the southern units down south 30's and 16's as second and third choices. Hope he draws. Can't wait to take out my boy. Will be a while( 6 months old).

It doesn't hurt to put in for unit 2 as your first choice--you never know, you may hit the lotto. After that, for quantity I concur with the above,look in the 30 to 39 units. Not likely that you'll see any monsters (these are deserts), but should get a decent number of shooting opportunities...

I been looking for a mule deer youth myself for my son.We did see some deer in unit 52 on his antelope hunt.Unit 52 is up north and maybe worth looking for more info.Have not heard much before on this unit in the 30's.Anyone have more info on what the hunting is like in those units.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom