Youth Spring Bear

LoveBigRacks

Son turns 12 this year and is amped to finally have his own tag. According to last years numbers, it looks like he'll be able to draw the Weneha youth spring bear tag. Anybody able to point me to a starting point, somewhere up high to glass, or share any other info? Have hunted Mt Emily for spring bear and elk, willing to swap info... Thanks in advance, really hoping the boy can punch any one of his tags this year.

Also, any advice on the other OR youth hunts for deer / elk? We live west side but fine to travel east, actually prefer to. I've heard good things about N. Bank Habitat youth, but unconfirmed. I'm also thinking about burning my 10 deer pts on a good unit and letting him fill it - I think the new rules allow that, right? (as long as we have one weapon and he's by my side)

LBR

Hey Lovebigracks.....NICE HANDLE! I have hunted the Wenaha alot, I would float down the river, and go up and glass the breaks. Depends on what kind of snow we get here in NE Oregon, but alot of that country is not open due to snow.
If you have no way of floating the river, go up from Troy, that country opens up first. Good luck, and have fun!

I would have to agree with Blue Mountain. Or float the Grande Ronde River. Alot of bears but snowy roads do make it difficult.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. He ended up drawing the tag for Weneha youth spring bear. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the unit, haven't before, and enjoying my sons first year to pack his own rifle.... I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes. We probably won't make a trip over til the first week of May, let the snow melt off a little bit, hopefully.

LBR

Way to much snow and to many hunters. Snow isn't going off very fast. Like blue said, I would float the river if you can. If not you might be stuck with everyone else. Unless you can get into the wilderness by walking or horse back.

If you have a atv with 4 wheel drive you can make through on top of the snow. I will be up there tomorrow and will let you know what I find. The troy side is a good option also. I will also be up there the week of May 5-10 I believe. Good luck if you need any help finding a bear I will be up there.

Just a heads up. The snow is too deep and soft for fourwheelers with tires. I pulled two out yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom