Zirkel High Country Rifle Hunt

Buddy

Zirkel High Country Rifle Hunt

I hunted the early season high country muley hunt this past fall. In previous years backpacking in that country we have seen a decent number of deer. This year after a week of hunting I could almost count the number of deer on one hand. The only thing we could figured is that since it was a wet year in that country not as many deer came up to the high country (10,500 to 11,500). Did anyone else have this kind of experienc or thoughts?

RE: Zirkel High Country Rifle Hunt

You are not aone.I have talked to several that hunted area 14 ,15,4,ad 5 ,thinking of a muzzleoader deer hunt.No one has seen many deer and no big bucks.You can bet I am not going there for a few years with the hope they rebuild.
The winter of 2007 was horrible on the deer .In some areas I have heard as many as 70% died that year.

Did you see many elk?

We saw elk almost everyday. Most of the herds were being run by 5x5s. They are fun to watch in those high mountain meadows. I would have traded my rifle for a bow in heart beat, although we were a to far out to logistically get one packout without spoilage. Have you hunted elk there in the past?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-09 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]No,I have hunted alot SW oF there in the Routte Forest.Always thought about the Wilderness though.

I agree with rem308, the previous winter was to thank for a decline in deer numbers. Did you guys see any bucks up there in the high country, What has your success been like there in the past? I am contemplating a hunt in the zirkel in the future.

This was the first time I did this hunt. I have hunted elk in the 2nd season and have seen a few nice bucks. We repacked into another area mid week and came across a guy packing out very good buck, so they are there. I did see two bucks during the week of hunting (3x1 and a 140 4point) It was a very beautiful backpacking trip with alot of mile put on the boots and the glass. Maybe in few years it maybe worth trying for deer again. I would not burn any points on it now.

We hunt archery in the Zirk each year and this past season we ended up seeing fewer elk (than is seasons past), and few more deer (than in seasons past). My dad and I both shot deer within a few days of season starting. The elk were more difficult to roundup though!

I do agree - seeing elk bugle, wallow, and play in high country meadows is certainly something! I just wish I could fling an arrow 180 yards! I will be up that direction in May-June for some early season scouting, and I'll be sure to let you know if I see any 200" muleys. ;)

Colo_archer

Any chance the Archery hunters chased all the buck out of the open by the time you guys got there?

I know hunting for me was much different the second weekend than after the first.

I grew up hunting the Zirkels and know it well. My father had this hunt this past year and it was a bust due to the weather. The deer in the Zirkels migrate long and far with an early snow. While the elk will stick it out up high the mulies will move east and south quickly. Talk to anyone who hunts lions in this area to keep tabs on where the deer are. Sadly, the cats move with the deer and a good September snow will push most of the deer down and out. There can and will be a few holdouts but this is a region where the deer are effected by weather and do migrate.

I hunted in zirkel last year and was extremely disappointed. In fact, over the last several years, I've been keeping tabs on the muleys and it hasn't been improving IMHO. I hiked all over kingdom come and only saw 2 little bucks; 2 guys shot 2 little does in the backcountry but the deer really got nailed a few years back with those nasty snowstorms. Very disappointing to not see the muleys like we used to a decade ago. Then again, the elk haven't fared well in there either.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom