04 ford 6.0 dsl

Hardway

Very Active Member
I know a guy who has an 04 f-250 6.0, regular cab, 4x4. Just a plain old xl work truck....never had any kind of mod or tuner on it. There is'nt one aftermarket part on it period.....bone stock never been messed with. Runs like a champ and has never given him too much trouble other than a plugged up egr at about 75k miles. I know he kept up on the service.....took it to the dealer and had em do what ever they said it needed at a given mileage. It now has 130k miles and he wants to sell it and buy a new one. I can buy it for $8500. It would'nt be my primary....still have the tacoma 4 door for running around and hunting trips. I dont need it but it would be nice for hauling wood and being able to haul my own cows again since I sold my other 3/4 ton.

Anything special I should look for on this rig.....run from the 6.0? Seems like a good deal but not if I have to drop a bunch of cash to keep it running. Lets hear it.

I wouldn't take that ruck if he gave it to me, I had an '06 and it was nothing but trouble. If it hasn't been in the shop yet it will soon need injections, a high pressure oil pump and on and on and on. STAY AWAY

Im one of the few that love my 6.0. Never had a lick of problems with it. Thing runs like a champ. My ole man also has a 6.0 and it has 140,000 miles on it without a lick of a problem. Maybe we got the only two good ones ever built but who knows.

Run, don't do it... I have a 06' F250 with the 6.0.. A touch over 130,000 miles

Some of my more expensive break downs:

EGR failure (this was covered under warranty but cause other problems that were not covered later down the road)

HPOP $2300.00

Death Wobble (nobody knows how to fix)

Radiator

(2) coolant reservoirs

Now I have injectors going out..I was told these are up to $400 each...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Sniper1 is Right!

Him & His Dad have the only 2 Known to man that haven't Dollared people to Death!

Got a Mechanic Friend that does nothing but Repair 6.0 JOKERS day in,day out,been doing 6.0 Repairs from the day they were built!

I wouldn't trade one Decent CUMMINS for all the 6.0's you could find on Earth!

"""The Ford 6.0,FORDS Worst Wet Dream!"""

So?
You think you wanna take My Hi- Capacity Magazines & Assault Rifles Huh?
Just Try taking My American Pride/Rights!

It's been a long hard ride
And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

You dont hear much fro the folks who have them and dont have problems. There are currently 5 in my family. We have owned 7 since 03. One of them was a lemon (early 03). the others have been pretty good trucks. If it has been maintained and hasnt given him problems i would go for it. Talk him down a bit and spend $600 bucks to install an egr delets kit and you will escape most of the problems.

I made good money off the 6.0 when i worked at the ford dealership but I dont think they are as terrible as they seem.

My 06 cummins was another horror story. Is got 130k and so far it has gotten.
-engine at 35k
-pcm at 40k
-injection pump at 65k
-complete front end (balljoints, axle ujoints and every tie rod) at 73k
-motor mounts, rear brake calipers, and some air conditioning doors at 100k

I also have relaced 3 window switches at $100 bucks a piece, a module that caused all the trailer wiring to not work, 2 door latches and it needs an a/c compressor and wheel bearings. Also my power windows only work from the drivers switch and only one power mirror works. Long story short I love the motor but hate the truck.

Im not gonna bash on Dodge just because mine has had so many problems, Just saying that lemons come from all the companies. You are much more likely to get a bad 6.0 than cummins but if it has been good for your buddy chances are it will be good for you too.

If i could build a dream truck it would be a 2007 ford with a common rail 5.9 cummins and a 6 speed

if you get it do a egr delete kit.. they are known for injector issues, carbon build up.... Navastar and the 6.0l just wasnt likt the 7.3 liter...i myself would stay away from it... they have some serious turbo lag. i use to have a 6.0l work truck and it seemed like it was in the shop every week. then got upgraded to a dirtymax for a work truck and no problems. my personal truck is a cummins that is heavily modded and no problems with it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-12 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]I'd avoid that truck like the plague! I kept asking my cousin how he liked His. He loved it until he got in the 70k range. That miserable truck NEVER runs now. He continues to have problems with over heating and cannot get it resolved.

Now, he is being told it will take another $2500 to get it running.

If it was me, I would look for a 7.3. I just sold mine for $8000. It was a great truck and I never had any issues with the motor.

That's one more thing I don't like about 6.0's!

Until you get em wrapped up above 2,000 RPM they are Gutless Bastards!

I'll take the Low end Torque of a CUMMINS over any of them!

Sad part is:Even the Newer CUMMINS are not as good & They are Thirsty Bastards,Thanks Obama & all your SMOG BS that does not work!

I'll agree with the Post above:

Early 02-03 5.9 CUMMINS with Programmer(Not Overly-Chipped!)3:73 Gears 6 Speed Stick & 20+ MPG!

Funny how We could get 20 MPG out of them 10 years ago but most of the New ones won't even come close,WAFJ!

So?

And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-12
>AT 05:55?PM (MST)

>
>I'd avoid that truck like the
>plague! I kept asking
>my cousin how he liked
>His. He loved it
>until he got in the
>70k range. That miserable
>truck NEVER runs now.
>He continues to have problems
>with over heating and cannot
>get it resolved.
>
>Now, he is being told it
>will take another $2500 to
>get it running.
>
>If it was me, I would
>look for a 7.3.
>I just sold mine for
>$8000. It was a
>great truck and I never
>had any issues with the
>motor.

You Sold the Huntin Rig Woodruff?

I liked that Rig & the Roominess of that big ole 4 Door Ford!:D

That 7.3 was the last of the good-uns!

I hear the Brand New Ford Scorpions are Nice,You get one?

So?

And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

!
>
>I'll agree with the Post above:
>
>
>Early 02-03 5.9 CUMMINS with Programmer(Not
>Overly-Chipped!)3:73 Gears 6 Speed Stick
>& 20+ MPG!
>
>Funny how We could get 20
>MPG out of them 10
>years ago but most of
>the New ones won't even
>come close,WAFJ!
>
>
>
>

makes lot of sense, go from 20 miles to gallon to 12. so put all these restrictions and burn twice as much fuel,, ohhh and it doesnt burn a hole in the o-zone layer like gasoline,

world makes sense once again!!!

I had 6 in 2003. ford bought back 2. we traded the rest in to ford in 2004 and got new ones due to problems with every single part of the engines. of the 2004 ford bought one back. we limped through to 2005 and traded them all in on chevys. had the same problems. when the 6.4l came out we traded in the chevys and bought 8 6.4l strokers. 2 were bought back by ford, and we sold the rest and went back to chevy. we kept chevy until the new scorpions came out this last year. I bought 5 of those so far and the only problem I had was they were just dying due to faulty temp sensors. Changed those out under warranty and have had zero problems with them. lets just say I went through over a dozen 6.0l trucks and not a single one was worth crap!

"I hear the Brand New Ford Scorpions are Nice,You get one?"

Bessy:

Yes, I did. I am sure I will miss that 7.3. It was a great work truck. However, I do like this 2012- so far! I have only had it a day. So far it hasn't broke down!

I avoided the 6.0's and 6.4's. After talking to a few people, and Stomper, I think the new fords are good (At least I hope so)!

Stay away from the 04' 6.0 L, I had one and dumped $$$ into it and still had more problems than Obama's economics. Since it sounds like you only need it for a work truck ,than buy a older Cummins. You may have to put some coin in it but it will treat you right. Listen to the other posts re: the POS 6.0 L Stay away, you won't be able to give it away when it get more miles and starts having problems. IF the EGR went at 75 K the heads could be warped or the head bolts could be stretched. You won't notice it until you tow and you will lose coolant. Turbos and injectors should start to act up in the future, just my o2.

Just finished a 1000 mile road trip with a 4000 pound camper on my 04 PSD. Just at 100,000 and never a problem, so far, so good.

I have an '04 6.0 and it has 170000 miles and is a perfect truck. I just had to spend $11000 in the last year to get it right. I would buy one for $8500 and do ARP studs, headgaskets and a Bulletproof cooler right away. They are a strong engine when you pay to get them right. The new diesels from Ford cost $60000 so you can bet a fixed up older one is going to pay off. No truck payment and it will tow a house.

bad thing about the 6.0, takes a lot of money to make it run good.... navastar with the 6.0 and then the 6.4 those motors were trouble.

"I have an '04 6.0 and it has 170000 miles and is a perfect truck. I just had to spend $11000 in the last year to get it right"

ROTFLOL... You can't be serious????

I had an 03 with the 6.0 worst truck I ever had wouldnt own a powerchoke if I got it at half the blue book price...

Dead serious. If you buy a good low mile 6.0 for $8 grand and do the needed repairs right away for say $6000 you end up with a very dependable diesel for $14000. They are good engines if you get the ARP studs and the cooler fix done.

Does anybody know if there are differences in the F-series 6.0 and E-series 6.0 diesels? I know overall it is the same engine, but does the E-series 6.0 have the same flaws as the F-series? I have an 08 in an E-450 for a work truck and so far its been fine, has 40,000 on it.

>Does anybody know if there are
>differences in the F-series 6.0
>and E-series 6.0 diesels? I
>know overall it is the
>same engine, but does the
>E-series 6.0 have the same
>flaws as the F-series? I
>have an 08 in an
>E-450 for a work truck
>and so far its been
>fine, has 40,000 on it.
>

The E series is built as a work truck....the turbo housings and cams are different, couple of the few differences. don't take my word for it but I think I am on the right track

Some guys like them and some guys hate them. My brother in law has been a Ford tech for 25 years and calls them junk. I know the 7.3 was/is a great engine but never owned a 6.0

6.0 Power StrokeMain article:.......... 6.0L Power Stroke...

The 7.3 L (444 CID) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (365 CID) midway through the 2003 model year. The 6.0L Power Stroke was used in Ford Super Duty trucks until the 2008 model year but lasted until 2009 in Ford Econoline vans (Model year 2010). The engine has a 3.74 in (95 mm) bore and 4.13 in (105 mm) stroke creating a displacement of 365 cu in (6.0 L) or 5954 cc. It utilizes a variable geometry turbocharger and intercooler, producing 325 hp (242 kW) and 570 lb?ft (773 N?m) with an 18:1 compression ratio, with fuel cutoff at 4200 rpm, but having a redline of 4500 rpm only attainable with aftermarket performance programming.

Some of the 6.0 L PowerStroke engines have proven to be problematic,[2] and speculated to have cost Ford millions of dollars in warranty repairs and buy backs. They led to many recalls and the repurchase of at least 500 trucks, particularly in the first year. However, aftermarket parts exist to address these issues and, with them installed, the 6.0L engine's reliability improves greatly.

it cost ford over 500 million just the trucks that were under warranty. I think the whole 6.0 should of been recalled..

They Ain't done Waranteeing them yet!

The Biggest POS Boat Anchors ever built!

Why would they drop the 7.3 & go to this POJ?

So?

And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom