08 Wyoming ram

L

longwalker

Here is my ram from this year. It was a great hunt and we covered some country to get it. Killed near the Yellowstone border.

sheep_090.JPG

sheep_079.JPG

sheep_078.JPG

Wyoming bighorns don't get much better than that! Very nice ram!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing! Your pictures take me back 4 years to my area 4 hunt. What unit where you in?

Thanks guys, ya the weather could have been a bit better that's for sure. We sat on this ram for two days waiting for it to clear enough to get into range. I was a bit on edge!!

Wow that is a great ram. If you hired an outfitter, do you mind me asking what was the going rate?

No I didn't hire an outfitter but there where two that I would have to thank by the end. I had guided in this area before for Grant Gerharter of Pass Creek outfitters and seen great rams there. So before I headed in I talked to Grant about his summer scouting and he said that there was some good ones in there( one of which that was killed a week later than mine that was a great ram!!!). I also guide lions for a very good friend and great sheep hunter Jason Morrison of Wyoming Mountain outfiiters who took the time to join me for a week along with Bill Overfield. We packed in and set camp about 24 miles in. The first day was a great day day but all we could locate was ewes, lambs and a wandering griz.
That night a storm rolled in and the next day was spent playing cards next to the stove. On day three we headed up to the top of a ridge to glass. At about 1 in the after noon Bill found tracks across the valley in the snow which led to three rams bedded in the rocks high on top of the mountain. With no way to get to them that day( or at all) we watched them get up and feed on lichens until dark.
The next day up and early we headed back up for a look. It took an hour but I finally spotted the rams twords the bottom just as another storm came over the hill. Jason I loaded up the ponies and dropped off the ridge to get over to the other side.The snow hit hard for 5 hours while we waited under the group for a break. Finally it let up alittle and we looked up and there where the two smaller rams out feeding about 600 yards away. We picked up and hoofed it over to with in 300 yards when this ram walked out and right off the bat pegged us. We set up quick and I put him down, then started up what turned out to be a hour and a half climb to get to him.

The claw is a lion claw from my first tom That I killed in high school.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-08 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]Longwalker,

Great Ram. I think I have pictures of that Ram from the 4th of July. My uncle has a ranch in Wapati and while traveling over there through the park, we came upon several rams walking up the road just before the east gate. I will get them scanned and posted. If it's not the same ram, it is his twin brother.

BKHUNTER

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom