1× scopes?

I have a Burris 1x I would be willing to part with. Looks like this
opplanet-burris-1x-xer-plex-mat-scout-scopes.jpg

The Burris above is a really nice unit, and hard to find. Also, you can look for a Vortex Crossfire II in the 1x24, which is what I use.

If I was to do it again tho, I would probably opt for the Burris Fast Fire 3 with a 3 MOA dot.

Before You Get All Excited about a 1X Scope!

Hold one up!

Look with You Eye!

Then Look Through the Scope!

A Decent TARD Eye is about 1.5 Power!

Not Inpressed With Any of Them & My Old/Original Remington with the 600 Grain Slug Has Destroyed Several 1X Scopes!
elkassassin is correct
He and a few others said the same thing to me when I was looking for a 1X scope. A couple good folks on here actually loaned me their scopes and I tried them and the truth is I could see better with my open site set up than I could with the 1x scopes.
Just some food for thought!

You Can See your Front Sight through the 1X Scope!:D

Looks Like it's out there about 4' rather than the Actual 28"!:D

You Can See your Front Sight through the 1X Scope!:D

Looks Like it's out there about 4' rather than the Actual 28"!:D
The first time I mounted my 1x scope years ago, I thought it was defective because I could see the barrel. I almost sent it back until someone told me that was normal. ? I have the nikon buck master and it's been a good scope. The last muzzy buck I killed with it was at 150 yards but I have to admit, the buck looked awful small in the scope.

I wish they would have left the 1x power scopes in the regulation. It kept every muzzleloader on the same playing field. It did not matter if it was a $200 muzzleloader or a $10,000 muzzleloader the 1x scope or open sight served the same purpose of trying to keep muzzleloader hunting the way it was intended. At least in modern times. I left my 1x scope on up until last year and went to a variable magnified scope and killed my buck at 81 yards but I witnessed several people launching shots across canyons that they likely would not have been taking with a 1x scope or open sights. I witnessed the Wildlife Board meeting when they made the change and I was blown away on the naïve comments on the subject from the board members. They were stating that the muzzleloader was the limiting factor and not the sight that is on it. They missed the boat on that one as it is the other way around by a long shot. Simple YouTube search will show you 500 yard+ muzzleloader shots all day long. I have never seen Utah go backwards but I hope they do on the muzzleloader setups. I’m hanging on to my 1x scope in case my hope becomes a reality.

Last edited:
I mounted a 1x scope on my muzzleloader when it became legal. Half way the muzzy hunt took it off as I perfected my open sights to the scope. As others have said when you looked thru the scope things actually appeared further away.

I hate 1x scopes. When UT was limited to 1x, I took it off and just hunted open sights. It was honestly better than using a 1x that made everything look much smaller. The only thing a 1x scope helps with is hold over if you are going to shoot longer distances and want to more precisely compensate for drop. It's hard to do that when you are covering the animal with your barrel.

Good luck.

I sure hope Utah doesn’t go back to 1x haha I’ll be kicking myself for not buying one of the G7 1x scopes when Gunwerks was selling them off cheap ? was gonna buy one just in case.

Variable/magnification scopes have not changed the way I muzzleloader hunt or the distance I shoot now or before. They just make for more precision/clean kill hits. Those red dots worked for years, but they sure were large aiming points. Heck, I hunt elk in the dark pole pines and shot elk at point blank to 100 yard on a good day.

My old eyes don't work focusing on open sites anymore. No glasses I can see the sites but the animal is blurry. With glasses I can see the animal, but the sites are blurry. I really need to look at Lasix and see if I'm a good candidate ??.

I know there are those out there that shoot farther then they have any business shooting. However, there is probably way more that do it with rifles. Most muzzy hunters tend to be more experienced and not that guy that watched a long range hunting show and said I can do that. Just my opinion.

I have a traditions 1x. It is off my muzzleloader. You can have it for free if you would like. Not as nice as the Burris or vortex, but it works.
I had a Burris 1× a few years back. I could easily see better with open sights. Threw it away. I went to Red Dot sights and had much better luck seeing.

Variable/magnification scopes have not changed the way I muzzleloader hunt or the distance I shoot now or before. They just make for more precision/clean kill hits. Those red dots worked for years, but they sure were large aiming points. Heck, I hunt elk in the dark pole pines and shot elk at point blank to 100 yard on a good day.

My old eyes don't work focusing on open sites anymore. No glasses I can see the sites but the animal is blurry. With glasses I can see the animal, but the sites are blurry. I really need to look at Lasix and see if I'm a good candidate ??.

I know there are those out there that shoot farther then they have any business shooting. However, there is probably way more that do it with rifles. Most muzzy hunters tend to be more experienced and not that guy that watched a long range hunting show and said I can do that. Just my opinion.
That has not been my experience. The year before last I saw four experienced muzzleloaders try to shoot a deer well over three hundred yards away and on the run. One downed the buck. All had scoped guns. The further the gun will shoot the further the hunter will try. Those hunters should be on an any weapon hunt. The bigger the antler size, the further the shot.

That has not been my experience. The year before last I saw four experienced muzzleloaders try to shoot a deer well over three hundred yards away and on the run. One downed the buck. All had scoped guns. The further the gun will shoot the further the hunter will try. Those hunters should be on an any weapon hunt. The bigger the antler size, the further the shot.
I agree with you that there is always those that will shoot further distances. However, they were doing this before with open sights and 1 power scopes also.

These are my two prior statements in original post.

1) It has not changed the way I muzzleloader hunt.

2) I know there are those out there that shoot farther then they have any business shooting. However, there is probably way more that do it with rifles. Most muzzy hunters tend to be more experienced and not that guy that watched a long range hunting show and said I can do that. Just my opinion.

In the days of 1x or red dot only scopes, 90%+ of hunters wouldn't take a shot beyond 200 yards.

Now? Throw on a 3-9 or a 4-16 with a turret and 400 yards+ is being shot routinely. I'm not saying they are shot accurately, but they are being shot at those distances.

I selfishly love the magnified optics, BUT...I liked the muzzy hunt better in the 1x days. I felt like I had the advantage over my fellow hunters that weren't willing to cross that canyon or ridge or river to stalk/get closer for a shot. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it went back that way, but I'd be shocked to see the wildlife board go backwards on that decision.

For now, I'll keep playing inside of the rules that are legally allowed to me.

In the days of 1x or red dot only scopes, 90%+ of hunters wouldn't take a shot beyond 200 yards.

Now? Throw on a 3-9 or a 4-16 with a turret and 400 yards+ is being shot routinely. I'm not saying they are shot accurately, but they are being shot at those distances.

I selfishly love the magnified optics, BUT...I liked the muzzy hunt better in the 1x days. I felt like I had the advantage over my fellow hunters that weren't willing to cross that canyon or ridge or river to stalk/get closer for a shot. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it went back that way, but I'd be shocked to see the wildlife board go backwards on that decision.

I agree. Much more fun hunting with the red dots. I wish when they decided to allowed the magnification scopes they would have limited it to 4x.

I have a medical restriction for Idaho, which allows 1X, because my dominant eye focus sucks, and is not correctible. It really is different tho, as the difference is noticeable between open sights and the tube. At least I can see the crosshairs now tho, and feel like I can make an ethical shot.

Hey copple!

How Bout the Hawkens Days?

I May not of Got a Good Buck very Often!

But I Was Damn Sure Seeing a few of Them!

I Know at Times they Were Laughing at Me!:D

Hey copple!

How Bout the Hawkens Days?

I May not of Got a Good Buck very Often!

But I Was Damn Sure Seeing a few of Them!

I Know at Times they Were Laughing at Me!:D
I never had the chance to hunt with one, but I sure would have liked to have tried! Especially in November.

I still have a 1x 32mm TC Hunter scope on my .50 Knight bighorn. notice you can see the front sight so I use it to adjust for Cant. I just line up the front sight with the bottom line on the cross hair and it takes the place of a bubble. I missed a buck at 150 with a red dot scope because the dot covers half the @#$% deer so I ripped it off.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom