1% Buck to Doe Ratio

H

HKShooter

I just spent 4 days in the Silver Lake and Fort Rock units. There were 7 buddies with elk tags for both units (7 different guys with tags totalling about 40 days hunting/scouting). I would say they knew both units extremely well. We covered both units EXTENSIVELY.

Our totals:

12 elk running like chickens with their heads cut off and no bulls. One group saw the big herd on private that got shot up and we didn't count them.

175 deer with 2 breeder bucks (4x4s) and 2 sporkies.

My thoughts are that the ODFW needs to STOP issuing these STUPID tags and start enforcing game laws around the Reservation! Only 2 breeder bucks! And all the does were in groups of 6 to 12.

What is going on in these units?

HK

I use to hunt the Silver Lake unit for deer (hence my user name). I no longer hunt the unit. It is absolutely a crying shame what they have done to that unit.

Its called all the donkey a$$, tree huggin, Obbammmaaa lovin freaks not letting us bait, use hounds on cougers and of course the ODFW not managing any unit very well. Unless you can afford to pay trespass fee's or a guide your hosed! We have been very successful with using horses and mules to pack into area's that most "road hunters" can get to, but it's getting more and more difficult every year to get away from the crowds.

I was up around Silverton hunting on a saturday not long ago, not more than 1/4 mile from homes and I jumped a couger EATING a fawn that was just killed! I'm fed up with the regs on hunting these bastards. Shoot'em then go buy a tag...is what a trooper told me last year while hunting up there!!!

Oh ya the indians, they are also a BIG problem on the deer/elk population. This also needs to be changed...its only been how many frickin yrs they have been able to kill what they want, when they want...

muleyman (watchin our country vote someone in that is a complete idiot)

I felt bad for my buddies who bought tags without a real chance at a bull. And the buck season was even worse apparently. ODFW has to STOP issuing tags in units like these where the herds are damn near extinct and the Indians run around like...well...indians. The locals say the indians hunt where ever they want 'cause the Game and Fish can't do anything to them for poaching...when was the last time you heard of an indian going to jail for a game violation or a fine of any kind!

I went along for fun and I had fun but in total they all spent some serious money and vacation time on hunting a couple units with no real chance of havesting an animal...and that isn't fun.

ODFW WAKE UP!!!!!

HK

I use to hunt the Fort Rock as a kid growing up and finally quit quite a few years ago. We use to count 200+ deer in a weekend hunt with many bucks, some incredible ones. I remember this one spot, seemed like every time we went in there we would push up bucks. One year inparticular, there was a batchelor group of 5-6 bucks and every single one of them I would bet went over 170. I remember some bucks still engrained in my brain pusing 200.

Now, there are no deer there, no sign of any either. You might be lucky to see a dozen does in a weekend. I think the indians are the biggest culprit. They are nothing but poachers. I knew a state cop that operated down there, he said that he can't do anything about them even though he'd like to. Talked with someone else I knew that knew a wildlife bio down there and said the same thing, the deer are gone because of the indians.
This is a problem that could be solved much much easier than cougars.

Muleyman, you think McCain is any better than Obama? This country has much bigger problems than our gun rights or whatever.

It isn't much better anywhere else, get as far as you want from a rez and you'll see no deer. I hunted elk for 5 days in the Ochoco unit and saw 9 does and a 3 point buck, in Murderers Creek deer season I saw 2 dinks ans a dozen does.

Our deer herds are is worse than awful shape in most places, the rez might be a factor but it's not the problem. Cats, cyotes, ODFW and us for accepting it are the ones to blame.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-08 AT 09:12PM (MST)[p]as long as we keep buying these tags they ODFW will keep selling 'em even if there are no more deer!

Oregonbowhunter

I did step a little over the bounds by saying he was an idiot. I will pray for any president that is put in our office that he/she will make the right decisions for our country. Its with his history on guns n such, it's gonna be Clinton all over again that I'm worried about.

Your right about other problems our country is having with the economy in all. I'm a business owner and we have suffered greatly being in the office equipment indusrty. Most of my staff have been with our company 10+ years and it breaks my heart everytime we have to lay someone off, especially when they are the sole income and have a family to support. All I can do is hope and pray this turns around in the near future...

muleyman

The elk, huunters, and Game Wardens were all straight North of Silver lake. They punched a bunch of tags there as they do every year. Some of those LO's will gladly let you hunt too. (so I have been told)

Same thing in the Ukiah unit, hunted it for the last 25 years. It has gotten scary bad the last few years. What do you know it borders a reservation. Talked to a hunter who ran into a group of indians at night with a flat bed with two bucks in it and two deer with no heads. They are just two legged cougars. Hunted elk last week in the chesnimus unit I did harvest a spike bull but only saw two small bucks. Most of the time we see a few real nice bucks but not the last couple years.

I think they just drive a couple miles in each unit and what ever they see thet just use that to do a average.

Back
Top Bottom