105/106

iowacity

I've seen posts regarding 105 and 106 units? season dates not being conductive to harvesting deer, but both units have a lot of high country.

Has anyone had success or have info to share in these units hunting early and high? 105 along the Montana border especially interests me.

I hunted that area in 2017 for elk. I had no luck with the elk.
There are a few good bucks up there to be had for those willing to work for em.
I am hoping to draw a region F tag this year and hunt for some of those muleys while I scout and learn the area for another elk hunt in the future.

I sent you a PM.
I will be hunting in October. Probably second and third week.

I didn't see this post until today. I have written much about what to expect from these two units in 2019. Personally, I think the tag is a waste of money with the change in the season dates. I told my son from Colorado not to bother putting in for the foreseeable future and he listened to me. He has deer hunted with me in these units and others for the last 15 years. You might take a resident ranch buck in 105. 106 is a migration hunt. In all probability, mature bucks will be mostly unavailable with the new season dates. Hunting hard or being a great hunter is not the issue. You cannot hunt what is not going to be there. Simple.

just sayin...mh

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-19 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]Well I'm in for F as a second choice, so probably won't draw, but in case I do, sounds like it may be tough. Due to work I can only hunt the first two weeks of October. Maybe a better strategy then to go low and look for white tails? I've never shot a whitetail deer, so the opportunity intrigued me if it's possible.

Not a lot of deer in that area from what I saw. But I did see a few good muleys there that I hope I can find again this fall.
I covered as much ground up there as a human could possibly have over about a 28 day period in October of 2017. I never saw a single whitetail anywhere.
The bucks I saw I believe are mostly non migrating resident deer.
But, in general, there were very few deer there period.
I will say that I saw more coyote sighn there than anything.
I hopefully will be able to put a dent in the preditor population ,even if I can't find a buck worth shooting.
And I mostly want to get as much time in this area as I can to learn more about where the elk travel there during October.
Scouting for elk will be alot more fun with a deer tag in my pocket and a rifle at the ready for a shot at some preditors.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom