10x42 or 8x50?

hntnnut

Ok now without getting into brand what do you all prefer 10x42 or 8x50? another power option? Lets limit the useage to the typical out west type enviroment.

Richard

I had 8x42's and I was constantly wishing I had the extra power. I was always feeling I was lacking the power to reach out and see what I wanted. I finally sold the 8x42's and went to 10x42's and honestly it has been the best change I have made. You would be surprised what the extra two power does for you!

10x42 if you are more often in open country or looking across draws.
8x42 or 7x35 if you are in the timber more.
Curious as to why you gave the 50mm objective choice with the 8x.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

I have always used 10X power binos and have always wondered what I was missing if anything with 8X power binos. Well this past spring I was asked to evaluate an new pair of binos and was shipped an 8X. I honestly don't know if I could see enough differance between them to shack a stick at. The ten offered a little more magnification to see the fine detail but most of that seemed to be nolified with the extra shake and lack of field of view. After evaluating the new binos I just think that my next set of optics just might be an 8X.

400bull

I used 10xs for years. This year I went with the 8.5x ELS. Comparing side by side with same and other brand 10xs, I found the 8.5s to provide an excellent image with great contrast. They were a bit brighter and the bit wider field of view for me was of more value than the extra 1.5x power. It will be an individual choice. If you can, borrow or get demos of both and compare them for yourself. Quality of glass will make a difference too. You will probably pick out more detail with the higher end 8xs than lesser quality 10xs. Magnification isn't everything.

I hunt with a good friend who always likes to take his 8x swaros lately and I carry my 10x zeiss. He is often telling me he thinks he has a deer located and has me look at it. When I check it with my 10's we find that it often was a stump or rock and he is always bumbed. He likes his 8x for packing and archery hunting because they are small and light weight but if your glassing in open country I recomened the 10x. He has 15x swaros but he doesn't like to pack them all the time on scouting trips but I like to carry my 10x's all the time.

Rod

>10x42 if you are more often
>in open country or looking
>across draws.
>8x42 or 7x35 if you are
>in the timber more.
>Curious as to why you gave
>the 50mm objective choice with
>the 8x.

I'm seeing a lot of high end optics with 8-9x magnification with a 50-56mm objective and then i'm seeing a lot of people like the 10x42s. I would think you would have better light transmission with a bit lower power and larger objective.

Richard

I have a topic titled, "Why 10x42s" from last year on this issue. Give it a search. All the guys gave some great info.

10x42s are GENERALLY great. They do ok for medium distance open country and ok for close timber. 8x are great for close timber and pretty good for medium distance (as the difference between 8x and 10x isn't much). I traded the 10x for the additional light, steadiness, and close range of the 8x.

Good luck in your decision

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I have had and used all of the glass mentioned. This is just my take on this. I would take a good 8x50 over any 10x42.My go to glass for years was a pair of 8x50 leicas. My backup was a pair of 8.5 42 el's I had a pair of 10x42 slcs, one of only pair of binos I have sold. THE 8X50'S draw over twice the light of the 10x42's. Divide 50 by 8 and square just roughly guys =36+ the 10x42's =16+ the 8x50's are just so much brighter. Also most people carry a spotting scope now. I just find the 8 powers much more comfortable to glass with than a 10.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-10 AT 01:16AM (MST)[p]10x glass is at its best in a 30-40 oz bino, you get down to around 25 oz and a 10x glass becomes too hard to hold steady and this semi defeats its extra magnification advantage over a 8x. It depends on what 10x you are looking at. The SLC,Golden Ring HD and Meopta 10x42 all do well as they are around 30 oz.

The 10x50 glasses usually range 35-39 oz and are superb.

Really no need for a 8x50 today as current designs are plenty bright in the 8x42 configurations.

My choice would be a 10x50,8x42 or even a premium 8x32 if you are backing it up with a spotter and don't want to carry a full size glass and spotter at the same time.

Even a 8x32 around 25 oz has less noticable image shake than a light 10x42.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom