'11 CO Bull Down!

M

massey_muley

I killed this bull in an OTC unit on Sept 13th. I hiked into a wilderness area about 3 miles just hoping to find some elk to hunt for the remainder of archery season. I left the trailhead at 730(later than i wanted) and about 9am spotted a group of 5 cows and this bull on the opposite side of the drainage.

7474dscn0613r.jpg

It took me about 3 hours to hike to 11,750 feet on the other side of the drainage but I was above timberline just above the elk.

An hour and a half later after a very slow stalk I had a 38 yard downhill shot on my bull and put my arrow right through the center of the heart. He went 35 yards and piled up.

It took me 2 days to pack him out and I am still recovering but it was worth every second. Hope you enjoy my Public Land DIY OTC bull.Im ecstatic.

3904dscn0616r.jpg

3306dscn0627r.jpg

9433dscn0622r.jpg

248dscn0625r.jpg

Jerad, its been a crazy end of summer but i just got your pm. Ill hit ya back soon so we can meet up!

Zac,

That is a phenomenal archery OTC bull for Colorado! A huge congrats are in order for you. Well done, well done.

Colo_archer

Awesome bull. Congratulations.
I too am a recovering elk packing fool.LOL
Got mine with a muzz- Yours looks like a better bull by far and archery to boot.
Colorado is kicking out some good bulls this year..Glad we both are part of it.
Best,
Jerry
44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

It sounds like you hunted about the same way that I have been hunting all season. 12,000 ft., a few miles into a wilderness area OTC DIY! I had gotten pretty discouraged/demoralized and was not gonna hunt the last weekend, but this has given me some encouragement and I will be back out there Saturday morning.

Congratulations on taking an awesome bull, and your narrative says that you didn't luck it.....you earned it.

Before you die.....Take time to live

THANK YOU everyone for the comments!

For people who are interested I got a tape on him and I really had underestimated him.

He scores 313" Gross and 305" Net

I didnt get any front view pictures in the field but this bull is incredibly symmetrical. Every point including beams are within a half inch of the other side except for one that has a 1.75" chip off the tip.

I am not nuts about score but think it gives some extra credit to this animal considering how hard he has been hunted.

That's awesome. Great bull indeed. You may be responding to my pm, but do you mind telling what unit he came out of? It looks pretty darn close to a bull that I have been running around with all season.

I know you may not be interested in score but if you want you just got your name in the Pope and Young book if scored officially.
I for one think you actually underscored him a little bit.
Congratulations no matter what you decide. He is a beautiful bull.
Best,
Jerry
44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

very Nice bull, he looks better then a 310 class bull IMO.
He is just one fine bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom