12A-West Late

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
When I take the NR hunter safety class this year or next I will be 1 below max points. Even if they reduce tags in the next year I think I should have a good chance at drawing in 2013 or 2014, maybe 2015. What I plan on doing is to go down there the year before I put in and scout the area during the season. Is there anyone who usually ends up out there for that hunt helping family or friends on that hunt, and might need another person to help in exchange for some tips on the area? I have all my own gear and feel since this will be a once in a lifetime tag for me I want to make the best of it.

Thanks
Bill

I'd go the week before, the hunters that have waited a lifetime to draw a tag probably don't need another person out there stirring up the deer...Prob more beneficial to you as well since they won't be as spooked seeing that 95% of the hunters will come in for the hunt about a half hour before dark on the Thursday afternoon before the hunt!

Dont worry about other people. You will have an amazing hunt, and the bucks will be rutting. Even if people show up at dark the night before season, those bucks are so rut crazy, they could care less. Get the tag first, then enjoy. You will have a blast.

bill, why not plan on going this year with or without a tag? getting a lay of the land will be one of your best bets. the area is big and you could be hunting on top or down on the bottom depending on weather and where the deer are, so knowing the roads will really help. I hunt there most every year and always learn something new each year............ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Bill ... put in for this hunt this year and be lucky and draw it ??? My understanding,that the late hunts in 12A-W & 12A-E are now drawable with less than "Max" B.P. as the vast majority of N.R. with Max bonus points are holding out for 13A & B "Or Bust".Good Luck in the draw,The Kaibab is a great place to hunt Mule Deer once again ... Bruce & SilverGrand

Thanks for the replies. I think this year I will just make a trip down there to learn the lay of the land and see what it has to offer. Maybe I will run across someone on a DIY hunt that could use an extra set of eyes.

Bill

I did the same thing with a friend who drew and spent over 13 days in the unit. At max points I was one of those who decided to hold out for the strip and drew the next year. I think your doing the right thing with one under max points and the time spent on the unit will be invaluable if your going unguided. Let me know if you want to talk to my buddy who had the tag as he probably still has all his maps and a better memory than me:)

I end up on the late hunt in 12A west every other year or so. If i was you i would come up 7 days prior to the hunt the year you draw.Things can change alot from year to year. I was there last year after being in 13B for 15 days for its rifle hunt. I saw just as many good bucks on the 12A west hunt than i did on the strip. If you come up a week early instead of trying to figure 12AW out the year before you will be way ahead of the game. The kaibab is coming back for sure. You also dont need a guide on the kaibab, but on the strip its almost a requirement. Good luck.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom