13 Points for elk??

280rem

Need to burn 13 points on elk! My dad is getting up there and is slowing down a bit. We both have 13 points. I'm considering on just putting in for him so I can focus 100% on his hunt and be the pack mule. We've been putting in for 61 but seem to be at the ass end of the point spread every year!! I want to get a good bull. Not a BC or anything just a nice bull.
I've taken my fair share of elk and I want to see dad get one before he can't. So if any of you out there have some info to share or ideas would like to hear from you, Thanks!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-09 AT 07:32AM (MST)[p]I'm assuming you are nonresidents? If so, you guys should have about a 50% shot at drawing unit 61, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th season. By the 3rd or 4th seasons, those bulls should have developed a winter pattern and will be grouped up, giving you a chance to look at a few bulls at a time. If you are set on a rut hunt, you both have a few years to wait for a first rifle hunt in 61. IMO, the later season would be just as good, if not better. You might also be close to drawing an archery hunt there. Your idea of having your Dad apply is good, then you can concentrate on killing one bull, and do a little scouting for yourself.

H M H, I drew archery last year with 13 NR PPs. My Dad had 14. I tried to convince him to apply 1st rifle while I applied archery. I could hunt/scout for 2 weeks then come back 2 weeks later and focus on him. He wouldn't have it, "If you're gonna hunt archery, I'm gonna hunt archery!"

Bugling bulls EVERY SINGLE HUNT FOR 13 DAYS!!! He never did connect but had bulls in his lap each of the last 4 days. When the season was over he said it was the very best, most exciting hunt he'd ever been on. And he's been to Canada 3-4 times, Africa, and every Western state. 280-310 bulls screaming @ 6 feet to 20 yards those last few days.

and he's 73!!!!

And I was soooo frustrated after I took mine.

I am califelkslayer dad, we had a great hunt in unit 61 last year.If I had gone with muzz & not bow I could a couple of good bulls.

Good Lucky
I was 73 then and it was not a hard hunt.

1dropdead

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom