16 non res points. Best archery unit

labby1

Ok what's the best non res Archery unit with 16 points. Need to be able to draw 2 tags. Both of us have 16 points and we want to hunt this year. Tired of waiting Looking for lots of action. Don't need a 380 bull. We would both be happy if we had a decent chance at a 340 type bull. Willing to go outfitted. Let's hear the unit and outfitter you would go with

Here is a list of the units that had 2 or more bonus points last year. This doesn't guarantee that there will be 2 bonus points this year.

Central Mountains Manti
Plateau Fishlake thousand lakes
Southwest Desert
Wasatch

Of these Southwest desert takes the most points to draw and last year with 16 points you would have drawn. I've never been on this unit but there are supposed to be some good bulls there and the success rate is pretty good for a Utah archery tag.

By insisting that you both draw tags you have eliminated yourselves from drawing the best tags in the state. You have the points that one of you would likely get a bonus tag in the Pahvant, with some luck you could get lucky and one draw the bonus tag and the other draw the random tag. 16 points should give you a shot at the bonus tag on the San Juan too but there will likely be a few other people putting in with 16 points there this year. If I were you I would split your application up and go for one of those tags with one of you drawing the tag this year and the other hopefully drawing next year. No matter how good of an elk hunter you are you will be more successful working as a team. You could then focus on filling one tag with a great bull each year. The 2nd year you would also have a huge advantage because you would know the unit.

Monroe is a GREAT archery hunt! Not sure of your drawing odds but the elk rut hard on that unit.
Elkmandan nailed it. You don't wanna split a OIL hunt with a buddy. You've waited 16 years, whats another year?

Traditional >>>------->

Why not put in for the best in the state and not do both together.? This way one of you draws, the other goes along and next year the other guy goes for the tag giving both of you two hunts, and lots of fun and scouting?

Monroe +2
I would do both and have 2 guides one for each hunter along with the posse you should be fine as frog hair.
A lot of good guides do that Mtn. Check with some of the locals.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Let me know of some good guides for the Monroe unit. I know both of these guys want to hunt this year together. I am sure they will go guided one on one. After waiting 16 years this is their first archery Elk hunt. Thanks for the info

Ummm, -- Monroe only has 1 NR LE archery elk tag ....

First , a dual NR application would be disqualified.

And second, NO bonus tag! 16 points just puts you in the
regular draw.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

If you want a 340" bull and are willing to go outfitted why are you playing with the UT draw? Pick up a NM Gila landowner tag and you will get all the 340" bull action you want. I assume you would pay $3000 or more for an outfitter in UT? Save your UT points for a unit that can produce 380"-400" bulls and pick up a tag in NM with the $3000 that you would have spent this year on a UT outfitter. If your willing to drop that kind of money on a hunt just pick up a NM landowner tag this year and save your points for something really special in UT. Wasting that mainy points for a unit that can only produce 340" is kinda a waste IMO especially if you are going to drop the money on an outfitter.

Myself, if a partner and I both had 16 NR PPs archery I would want to put in seperately hoping he drew. I could learn so much on his successes and failures. My tag the next year would be even more dangerous.

Manti and Wasatch are guarantees but you are over pointed for both tags.

With 16 points you should be there for every unit except San Juan (two had 16 last year and one drew). Sounds like your first choice is if you are sure you and your buddy want to hunt the same year. Your older age class units san juan, pahvant, boulder only have two nr tags (beaver and monroe one) so there is only one guarenteed tag for high points. So your best units are not an option if you chose to hunt together.

>If you want a 340" bull
>and are willing to go
>outfitted why are you playing
>with the UT draw? Pick
>up a NM Gila landowner
>tag and you will get
>all the 340" bull action
>you want. I assume you
>would pay $3000 or more
>for an outfitter in UT?
>Save your UT points for
>a unit that can produce
>380"-400" bulls and pick up
>a tag in NM with
>the $3000 that you would
>have spent this year on
>a UT outfitter. If your
>willing to drop that kind
>of money on a hunt
>just pick up a NM
>landowner tag this year and
>save your points for something
>really special in UT. Wasting
>that mainy points for a
>unit that can only produce
>340" is kinda a waste
>IMO especially if you are
>going to drop the money
>on an outfitter.

I think you're over selling the Gila bulls and under selling the cost of those Gila bull landowner tags. If not, sign me up.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom