16A archery 2010

N

nmelkandmuleys

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-10 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]hey i might be putting in for this unit and i was wondering bout my chances on drawing here? im 17 and last year was my first bow hunt much less my first big game hunt. i am self taught and i was wondering if anybody can give me some tips on hunting elk with a bow and about hunting this unit.

thanks,

nmelkandmuleys

sure it is a great unit good bulls and the action should be awsome. What are the things that you are look for in information. chances are tuff on the draw odds. PM me with any other questions and i will be glad to help.

Great unit, but you are probaly more likely to bag a supermodel than to draw that tag. Draw odds are very long.

Hey man,
Don't let long draw odds get you down. Sure, 16A is a tough unit to draw, but when compared to other units in the Gila, it is easier than some. You can't draw it if you dont put in. Case in point, I put my wife in for 16A first rifle tag a couple of years ago.....long draw odds?.....you bet, probably one of the hardest in the state......she drew it her first year applying. Someone has to get the tags, might as well try for them. You can get on the NM GF website and look the draw odds report from last year, showing how many people applied for certain hunts. Might give you an idea on how many people you will be up against. As far as tips on hunting with a bow, its just gonna take time and experience. The first archery hunt is different than the second, and sometimes one year is different than the next depending on moisture, temperatures, etc. I would suggest starting off with some good videos like Primos, etc. Sure they are gonna make it look it easy....and its not...but you can pick up on calling techniques, pre-rut, rut and post-rut strategies, etc.
Good luck to you. Being self-taught at 17 years old deserves a pat on the back. Don't get discouraged and take advantage of any material or time in the field you can get your hands on.

jeff

Good Luck Drawing, but like Jeff said you won't know if you can draw for it unless you put in. If you do draw for it PLEASE do your home work on the unit! It is a very great unit. I hunt/guide down there every year, and be prepared for weather! The last 4 years or so the monsoon has hit from the first to the last hunt for bow. The rain/lighting gets bad down there so be prepared to get wet! It will be very helpful for you to get someone somewhat familiar with the unit, to get a good Elk hunting Experiance! The terrain varies depending on what side of the unit you hunt on. All I can say is Practice, Practice, Practice, Be prepared, and good luck if you decide to put in!

Aim Small, Miss Small!

Okay, here's my tips for ya:

1) Bowhunting in general: get to know your equipment intimately. Practice, practice, practice. Not just indoors, standing, at 20 yards either. Get out and practice your shooting at longer yardages and get to know your range and comfort zone for max shots. Practice shooting from standing, kneeling, sitting, up hill, down hill, etc. Known yardages and unknown. If you don't have a range finder, I highly recommend you consider investing in one.

Invest in quality equipment. Having faith in your equipment can go a long ways towards your confidence in making the shot count if and when the time comes. 3 of the best advances in archery technology that have done a lot to improved my shot accuracy asside from a range finder have been fall away rests, good arrows, and good broadheads. My current arrow setup for elk is Gold Tip carbon arrows with G5 Montec broadheads. A good heavy duty broadhead is a must for elk, and I am very impressed with the G5 Montec. That being said, shot placement is everything...even more so in bowhunting.

2) Elk hunting: Hunting the Gila in the rut is an awesome experience. I'm not going to get into where to go, because I've pretty much been able to find elk anywhere down there during the bow hunts. If they're rutting, you'll know you're in the right area, because you'll hear 'em sound off...especially at night.

If it's a dry year, find water and go from there...their bedding areas won't be too far off. These big animals need water, and they like to play in it too. I've found bulls splashing around in water holes in the middle of the day.

If you come across a used mud wallow, hunt close to it. Again, they love to roll around in the smallest mud puddle that time of year.

Lastly, hunting by yourslef can be rough...especially if you put one down. Think about how you're going to get all the meat out. I highly suggest a nice frame pack for quartering out elk. If you're going at it alone, I suggest you debone it, you can easily cut out another 100 pounds you'll have to haul. So that's just something else to consider and try to understand beforehand.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Hey man,

I'm a self taught bow hunter as well and I can tell you from experience that the Gila, specifically 16a is the funnest, most action packed hunt I've ever been apart of. I've drawn it the last two years and although i haven't harvested, it's not from lack of opportunities. I've had multiple chances at nice bulls and have had them into as close as 25-30 yds screaming, raking trees. It's an unbeleivable experience, or at least it has been for me. Not harvesting has been from lack of experience, or patience, and not from lack of chances. I've also been hunting a majoroty of the trips by myself, which makes it a little tricking when calling or even making decisions. Go with your gut, don't hesitate, and be confident in yourself. I've also passed up some questionable shots that other bow hunters may have taken. Either way, I won't put in anywhere else. That area has become my favorite elk location in the state. Even if I don't draw, I'll be up there hunting bear or turkey, just so I can listen to and watch the elk do their thing.

The other guys on here are right. Know your gear, do your homework, find water and you'll be fine. Each year I've been there, it's not a question of where the bulls are at, it's a question of which one to go after first! Good luck man, and good hunting!!

Not to steal the post but how does 16E compare to 16A as far as terrain and elk numbers? Also my recommendation for a beginner elk hunter is be realistic of how far you can pack an elk out without it spoiling and son't hunt any deeper than that.nwhunter

16E is quite a bit different in that there is not nearly as much "elk terrain". There are elk, but there's also a lot more wide open terrain(Plains of San Agustin). The elk can often times be found out in the open in this unit, making them very difficult to close in on with a bow.

There is some more classic elk terrain at the south end of the unit, but I believe that most of the hunters focus on this area.

Thanks for the reply. I figured that might be the case from looking at a map with the southern part of the unit being more elky but might also have the most pressure. Just trying to find a unit with better draw odds than the well known gila units that have good elk numbers . Tks nwhunter

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-10
>AT 06:50?PM (MST)

>
>hey i might be putting in
>for this unit and i
>was wondering bout my chances
>on drawing here? im 17
>and last year was my
>first bow hunt much less
>my first big game hunt.
>i am self taught and
>i was wondering if anybody
>can give me some tips
>on hunting elk with a
>bow and about hunting this
>unit.
>
>thanks,
>
>
>
>nmelkandmuleys

16A is a good unit, but in my opinion it is WAY over rated. I've hunted in 16B, 16A, & 16C for the last several years in a row. There are better units in NM for quality, quantity and odds of drawing. The wolves have driven the elk out of the west end of the unit. A good friend of mine who passed away this last fall pushed cattle for the N-Bar and he watched a couple hundred elk on the west end get harrased by a pack of wolves and the next day the elk were gone and over the next several months that he was there, they didn't return.

In July of '08 I went scounting in 16C and captured several big herds of cows & calves on video. It was crazy because every cow seemed to have twin calves. When we returned the first week of October for the youth hunt we only saw 1 calf for every 10 cows. I can not answer why so many calves disappeared in 3 months.

Back to your question about 16A and your first time applying for an archery hunt... If I were you I wouldn't waste your first application on 16A. It's too hard to draw. Look at the draw odds report and look at 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices and figure out the chance of drawing. I assume that you are a resident due to your signature. If so, then your odds are even worse than a non-resident who applies with an outfitter. For a 1st time archery elk hunter you should consider as you mentioned unit 16E just because it has better draw odds. If you apply all 3 of your choices in 16E, chances are you will draw a tag. 16E is not as good as 16A, just because of the limited access and lower #'s of elk. However, do not let the "pressure" effect your decision. There are 400 tags in the archery pool draw for 16A and there are only 150 tags in 16E, and if you are looking for trophy potential, 16E is at least equal to 16A.

You need to decide which is more important to you - going hunting this fall versus putting in for 16A. Chances are you won't do both.

Good luck,
Sean

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

Applying to 16E for more than one choice does nothing to increase his chances.
When the computer gets to his app, either the unit(s) have tags or they don't. Doesn't matter if it's his 1st choice or 3rd choice.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-10 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]>Applying to 16E for more than
>one choice does nothing to
>increase his chances.
>When the computer gets to his
>app, either the unit(s) have
>tags or they don't. Doesn't
>matter if it's his 1st
>choice or 3rd choice.

Then how can you explain so many people being successful drawing 16E as 2nd & 3rd choices?

My point is there are both 3 seperate archery hunts and 3 choices on the application.

If you were right then no one would ever draw 2nd & 3rd choice hunts.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-10 AT 08:17PM (MST)[p]

If you apply for:
16A, 16B, 16E in that order
-and-
16A has no tags remaining, 16B has no tags remaining, and 16E has one tag remaining, you draw 16E with your 3rd choice.

They look at all 3 choices, regardless of weapon, when they get to your application. Either there are tags available or there aren't.

You could apply for 16E Rifle, 16E Muzzy, and 16E Bow if you were set on the scenery. Or, you could apply 16E 3rd season, then 2nd season, then 1st season in that order.

///////
upon further thought.....

If your suggestion was to apply all 3 choices in the same unit, but different hunts, then we're on the same page. I was thinking you were suggesting all 3 choices would be the same hunt code...

16E may offer better draw odds than 16A, but better quality and quantity?

I don't think so.

Sure, there are good bulls to be found in E as well, but no where near the quantity.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-10
>AT 08:17?PM (MST)

>
>
>
>If you apply for:
>16A, 16B, 16E in that order
>
>-and-
>16A has no tags remaining, 16B
>has no tags remaining, and
>16E has one tag remaining,
>you draw 16E with your
>3rd choice.
>
>They look at all 3 choices,
>regardless of weapon, when they
>get to your application. Either
>there are tags available or
>there aren't.
>
>You could apply for 16E Rifle,
>16E Muzzy, and 16E Bow
>if you were set on
>the scenery. Or, you could
>apply 16E 3rd season, then
>2nd season, then 1st season
>in that order.
>
>///////
>upon further thought.....
>
>If your suggestion was to apply
>all 3 choices in the
>same unit, but different hunts,
>then we're on the same
>page. I was thinking you
>were suggesting all 3 choices
>would be the same hunt
>code...

Now we're on the same page! I was refering to entering all three archery hunts as 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices in the order of "HIS" preference.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 09:50AM (MST)[p]>16E may offer better draw odds
>than 16A, but better quality
>and quantity?
>
>I don't think so.
>
>Sure, there are good bulls to
>be found in E as
>well, but no where near
>the quantity.

Go back & read my post. Not once did I say 16E has better "quantity" than 16A.

16A does not have the highest population (quantity), nor does it have the best quality in our state. Too many people think & hear that 16A is the best overal and they are either wrong or simply misinformed. That may have been the case in the 80's, but not today. Where have the last 10 Governor/auction tag bulls come from? NOT 16A!

Don't get me wrong, I like 16A and it will be one of my choices this year just because I know the unit well and I like the country, not because it is the best overall.

Please take a moment to re-read my 1st response. I doubt anyone could discredit the advice I am trying to give to a young hunter who is applying for archery his first time. I want the young man to draw a tag and have a great experience. 16A odds are too low for me to recomend it for him.

Good luck to all!
Sean

I don't believe anyone said that 16A was the "best overall", but it still offers one hell of a fun archery hunt.

I think everyone agrees that it's hard to draw, but if you draw, any beginning bow hunter should be in for a great hunt. A unit like 16E will take a lot more work for a beginner.

I know there are still some great bulls in the 16A, and if you can't find elk during the late bow hunt...well then maybe hunting isn't your thing.

ok so me and my uncle went camping at snow lake this past week and i saw tons of deer elk and goat's! i am gonna go up there again perty soon and check out all 3 elk mountains and maybe bear wallow! found a nice lil spot to camp during the hunt at the bottom of ecklberger canyon! cant wait til the results come out good luck to everyone! i will post pick soon
"it is the adventure the matters not filling a empty spot on the wall!"

I thought I had a nicespot in 16 until the week before the season. What a surprise, I counted 3 times more cars than there were tags issued for the hunt. Not trying to discourage you, just make sure you have a back up plan if you draw. I ended up miles away from my original start.

ALRIGHT THANXS FOR THE INPUT I WILL GIVE IT SOME SERIOUS CONSIDERATION ))--FFA-WILDLIFE-JUDGING-->

I'm gonna post again just due to what I've read since my original post. Regardless of some of the opinions on here, 16A is a tremendous unit...tremendous. I've hunted several different areas of the state North (51-52,2,5), South (15-16A C D E), further East 21(on a cow hunt), 34 and 36 and further west 15, and the 16's are as good as it get's...period ( for elk). Yes, there are other units in which your draw odds increase a few percentage pts, but I can flat out say, I've never experienced the quantity, and quality of elk that I have in the Gila, specifically 16A and 16C.
Yes, the govenors tags have come from other units....and there are GIANT BULLS in other areas of the state, but they are in the GILA as well. As far as hunters...sure you're going to see some camps and vehicle traffic, but if you bow hunt the way most bow hunters do, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you'll have more country to hunt....alone....than you possibly can. I know that's been my experience. In the last two years (both times I've drawn), there hasn't been one day where I haven't been on Elk, bulls, and quality bulls, and I think I've ran across one or two other hunters (except for the ride back to camp). Finding a 280-330 bull in the Gila (which is a quality bull to me...anything above is icing on the cake), in september, when they're doing their thing isn't tough at all. I have been fortunate to have some great close calls with bulls pushing 350. I don't want to exxaggerate but last year about 3-4 miles from any road another hunter and I (we were tracking the bull he harvested) had a run in with a true bruin. I want to say 380-390 but since he's not down, he was just a beast....easily 350 (at 70 yds, I passed the shot before he whirled and ran). BTW, both bulls harvested in my camp were over 300 and one went 340 ( I was the only slack jaw not to harvest from our camp...dang it). Also, 16A is about 95% public, something that other storied units such as 15, 34, Mt. Taylor, 51-52, etc etc definitely can't boast. As far as the Wolves, I've seen them here and there and I'm sure they do have an effect. The Game and Fish were in the Gila pushing these animals out of Houghton canyon last year do to some issues with them and people. But I don't usually see them at the tops of ridges or in deep canyons. In the few brief encounters i've had, they seem to be in areas that are a bit more accessible like Coonie prairie and the west end of Houghton where it opens up towards East Elk Mt. Anyway, although i had one a little brave for my taste, they've never harassed me or chased off the elk I was after. Maybe I've just been lucky.
I know everyone has their opinions and are entitled to those. I'm simply saying, if you've liked what you've already seen, you'll love it come late august, early september. There are tons of elk, great bulls, beautiful country and it's a great place to archery hunt. Tough to draw or not, it's simply Awesome...in my opinion. I do hope others disagree...that's means more tags available for those of us that love it.

My only word of warning, there are a few outfitters who believe they can lock down entire ridges and roads because out of staters pay big bucks. There is one that's notorious (USO)around the negrito/bear wallo/snow lake area and another that i had words with last year around collins park. THIS IS A PUBLIC HUNT...DO NOT LET THEM OR ANYONE ELSE TELL YOU OTHER WISE. Sure, if I run into one of them in a canyon...and they're on elk...it's all theirs. But these guys want entire ridges and canyon systems for their clients for the duration of the hunt and often September...which is utterly ridiculous. Look out for this, because they do post up from Bear Wallo through Eckleberger and down to Collins Park and truly believe they own the joint.

I hope you draw and have a successful hunt. What ever the case, and no matter which unit you hunt and prefer, I hope you have the experiences that many of us have and hope you harvest a trophy. Good luck man and good hunting. See you in the sticks....

I agree with everything you said (including the crap with certain outfitters), except I wouldn't say late August/early September...I'd rather be down there in late September/early October.

I wonder if someone would actually promote a unit, to keep the eye of the 10,000 or so visiters to the forum, from applying else were. Reverse phychology, smart.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-10 AT 04:17PM (MST)[p]>I wonder if someone would actually
>promote a unit, to keep
>the eye of the 10,000
>or so visiters to the
>forum, from applying else were.
>Reverse phychology, smart.

You might be giving us a little too much credit...or are you?

I just see alot of post about 16a being eat up with wolves, on a couple different forums. I realy don't know, just wondering whats up.

When a shark finds alot of fish, he sets up house. 16a has the highest population of the units. Obviously it will draw wolves. I dont think its as bad right now but that how it started in yellowstone. There elk herds have now been devastated.

I will give you guys a report on all of this and who knows what in September cause i just drew 16A for the first archery season!!!!! I am fired up to say the least. Have hunted 16B twice but never 16A. Is the hunting bad in the 1st season or just different. Seen a couple of comments on the first part of the season vs. the last. Gotta be an advantage to being the first hunters in?

not really sure but a big congrats to u on ur draw this year. i am still praying 4 mine god i hope i get the late season

So what's the word nmelkandmuleys? You going to be hunting 16A after the scouting and research? Hope it worked out for you.

hunthard247
I think you will have a advantage IF you sit a well used tank(ESP. if its dry). I try to stalk them in the AM to the bed,and sit a tank in the afternoon.(close to the bed) I always seem to blow elk out in the am, going to a tank.
The west side of the unit has a river source(if flowing) and tanks can be hit and miss.
Being first there helps, esp. if you do alot of scouting.On the downside, there are only so many tanks.

My experience has been, the bulls don't realy get fired up to the 13th(has been the case the last few years anyway)Yes you will get to hear them sound off during your hunt, but calling isn't as near as affective as the 2nd/3rd hunt.(Thats me though, and I am no master caller)

it was a big fat red unsuccessful for me!!!:( i got a deer tag in 17 at least 17 is closer to home tho!

>hunthard247
>I think you will have a
>advantage IF you sit a
>well used tank(ESP. if its
>dry). I try to stalk
>them in the AM to
>the bed,and sit a tank
>in the afternoon.(close to the
>bed) I always seem to
>blow elk out in the
>am, going to a tank.
>
>The west side of the unit
>has a river source(if flowing)
>and tanks can be hit
>and miss.
>Being first there helps, esp. if
>you do alot of scouting.On
>the downside, there are only
>so many tanks.
>
>My experience has been, the bulls
>don't realy get fired up
>to the 13th(has been the
>case the last few years
>anyway)Yes you will get to
>hear them sound off during
>your hunt, but calling isn't
>as near as affective as
>the 2nd/3rd hunt.(Thats me though,
>and I am no master
>caller)

Thanks Junior. I appreciate the info. Kind of what I figured. The first season was my 3rd choice as I have been rained on horribly in 16B during the 1st season and the bugling is pretty sporadic then but hey, I have a tag for 16A and I am very thankful for it. I plan on making the most of it!

The best advice on equip.is the old K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid)fromula.Complicated devices with fragle parts are to be avoided.Get comfortable with your set up and have a pro look it over.Once dialed in practice from field possitions (kneeling on one or both knees) and with the hat and head cover you will hunt
with.

Learn the bone structure of you quary.The big bones are to be avoided and the best shots are quarting away.Visualize your arrow exiting the off-side just behind the leg.Only shoot at a calm animal.If your like me you won't be that calm!Read all you
can on reading a recovered arrow and identifing the type of hit from the sign you find.

It seams like the wind is always wrong for an aproach.Don't risk blowing them out.With the afternoon storms come changes in wind speed and direction. Be flexible and calculated in your stalks an attempts to get in front of the elk you find.

Listen to the other wildlife (birds mostly)as they can warn you of an aproaching critter.

Don,t be afraid to take a nap to keep fresh and frosty for afternoon action.

Stay hydrated-bring a lunch and stay gone all day.Don't quit! learn to laugh at your failures and take time to enjoy ALL of your hunt.Remember you are "living the life" .....smelling and chaseing Elk with a bow! Wow!

If you put one down ....give thanks.Keep the tape measure in your pocket and enjoy your bull or cow. They are all trophys!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom