16A elk

jetlag

Was lucky enough to draw a 16A first rifle elk tag. Have hunted the unit a few times with my bow. Can anyone give me an opinion on the hunt as compared to the bow hunt. Will animals be in the same areas or do they move to different areas of the unit after the rut. Trophy potential? Also, any predictions on horn growth with your spring weather( I am a non resident). We used to see a lot of elk during the bow hunt. The second year we where down there the wolves had the elk in completely different areas than the first year. Are wolves still an issue? Thanks for your feedback.

Man you're lucky it seems, to be a NR and been able to draw it in the past for archery and noe rifle . Go buy a power ball ticket hahaha. You gonna use a guide? You should do well.

Bugle,You won't believe this. I also drew a oryx tag. Not sure on guided yet. Talked to one outfitter and he had a 3,200 wounding policy on public ground. Never heard of that on a public land hunt. Keeping my options open for the time being.

Holy smokes !!!!! Great year for you man . My dad has been trying to draw that for years as a resident man, just can't do it .

JH,
Sorry for not responding. I have been out of the area. I never got your pm. Can you please try again.
jetlag

Best Rifle tag in the state in my opinion. Have guided it and been on it several times. Don't worry about wolves...they are a non factor as far as finding elk. Elk everywhere, still bugling although some of the bigger bulls are done. My suggestion...get off the roads, looks in some high burn areas and keep your ears open and you have a real chance at a big bull. Good luck!

Sportsman01 my girlfriend drew the 16a first archery hunt. Any suggestions on what we should do? Never hunted this unit. Usually stay in units 34 36 37. Are they bugling for the first hunt?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom