16B backpack hunt

earlyriser

Hello,
I've been kicking the idea of backpack hunt in 16B for a while now. Considering that I have elk hunt experience and in shape, could I get into elk on foot? So many threads suggest horses or to have a packer handy. Would like to hear from some folks who have done this. Give me the good, the bad and ugly!

I haven't hunted B but I have worked in the wilderness. Plenty of points to drop into and start hunting from as soon as your in the unit. I would recommend stock though, but I guess it depends on where you plan to hunt.

You can do it really easy. We have done it a bunch and we are not the most physically fit specimens in the woods. If our fat butts can do it most anyone can. We have taken several bulls out of that unit on foot and a couple over 350".

Definitely areas you can walk in and be in animals.
Archery hunted the 1st archery hunt a few years ago.
And was in elk right after parking my vehicle almost every day.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-15 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]Earlyriser, I have hunted 16b for years and am well acquainted with the unit,it's terrain ,trails etc. There are ways to get into elk off trail heads and certain campgrounds, one thing that you might want to take into consideration this year is the increased volume of people crowding into these access points. Which in turn will bring a lot more hunting pressure to these areas where with the three hunt system in the past the pressure was not as intense. I personally get in the wilderness 7 plus miles with the help of my stock,and the thought of overcrowding this year is nerve racking. The difference from overcrowding in wilderness units to roaded units is roaded units can easily spread out numbers of people as opposed to wilderness units everyone needing to use the SAME access points. Just a thought to consider.
Also it does help you are physically fit,but I will say have a packer handy,depending on the part of the unit you hunt it is rugged country. Especially packing a bull out on your back,

All good points and things to consider. With that said, I'm hoping to get between the guys with stock and those that sort of hike in....if that makes sense. I'm also simply trying a new unit, experience "new" elk and hunt different parts of the state:)

I'm probably applying for that hunt as well. You can access it easily by foot in my opinion. That's what I will be doing. Gotta draw the tag first!!

I'm probably applying for that hunt as well. But yes u shouldn't have a problem accessing it and having a good hunt on foot. That's u plan if I draw the tag! That's the hard part

Agreed on drawing the tag first. I just like having a rough game plan before hand. For me, the adventure starts way before the draw takes place:)!

Access is all depending on which part of the unit you chose to hunt. Where we hunt "EASY" isn't in the vocabulary ,"WORTH IT" is though. There are plenary of places that are not as difficult, especially to guys on foot.

I agree it's very fun planning and thinking about all the diff draw possibilities. If u can draw the tag it will be a fun hunt! It gorgeous country to say the least

Good to rough, just depends on the area, but I would say 4 wheel drive is a must in spots. ~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Did it this last year. I was lucky to draw a 1st season rifle. 2 brothers came and helped me. packed in 6 miles. I was amazed at the number of hunters we saw. saw 9 different hunters before I tagged out on 1st day. Pleased with my bull, 348", but the memories and the experience were what made the hunt awesome. My first time in New Mexico and in that unit. Be real tough getting a bull out solo in archery season without spoilage. Only big bull we saw, but only there 3 days and it only takes one!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-15 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]>Did it this last year.
>I was lucky to draw
>a 1st season rifle.
>2 brothers came and helped
>me. packed in 6
>miles. I was amazed
>at the number of hunters
>we saw. saw 9
>different hunters before I tagged
>out on 1st day. Pleased
>with my bull, 348", but
>the memories and the experience
>were what made the hunt
>awesome. My first time
>in New Mexico and in
>that unit. Be real
>tough getting a bull out
>solo in archery season without
>spoilage. Only big bull
>we saw, but only there
>3 days and it only
>takes one!

I think I remember you buddy. My MM handle used to be Cfreak. Utah boys huh? I believe I have a picture of that nice bull you took as well. .....

Nathan,

I met you guys in there last year. I heard Asker Mayberry(Border Patrol guy) packed it out for you with his mules.

Two guys backpacked in there on the second rifle hunt and killed a bull on the last day or two of that season and they spent the two days after the season packing out the bull. They had to literally bust their butts going in 6 miles and back out and they said they would never do that again.

On the archery hunts we see many guys humping way in there and more often than not if they get a bull the meat either spoils or they just leave a lot of it and take the best cuts. Sad! Hunt closer to the road near the trail heads and you will kill bulls and be able to handle the hunt and the resulting pack out if you kill. You don't need to go way in as there are big bulls less than 3 miles from almost all trail heads.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-15 AT 07:05AM (MST)[p]Two years ago I was asked to stop hunting to pack out a spike bull a guy fron las cruces killed. First off the floods were so bad I couldn't get my horses there if I wanted to,and why in the world would you tread in, shoot a young bull just to never go back and get him???? Wasteful, unethical, and plane stupid! I agree if you hunt on foot stay within your physical and sensible boundaries, and if you are not willing to put WORK IN stay in roaded units. Please

Is anyone willing to share an opinion or two on some areas I'm thinking about? By pm or email of course:) I know....cart before the horse ha!

Earlyriser
I have hunted 16B twice in the past (2003 and 2013). Both times solo backpack hunts during the first rifle season. (I haven't been able to draw an archery tag for that unit after 13 years of applying, but have drawn the only two years I applied for rifle)
It is a tough area for backpack hunting, but it can be done. In 2003 I scouted & hunted an area 7 - 10 miles in and shot a bull late opening morning and didn't finish packing him out until end of the second day. In 2013 I shot a bull late morning on the last day of the season and it also took until the end of the following day even though he was only 4 miles in but a much rougher part of the unit. It really depends on what area of the unit you are hunting as some areas are steeper and more difficult than others.
I would caution you not to get too far in during the archery hunts when it doesn't get cool enough at night. It was below freezing at nights during both of my hunts otherwise I wouldn't have hunted that far in alone.

Here is a link to my 2013 hunt:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...38&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes#.VMJNIss5BD8

I will be putting down 16B as one of the choices for my 14 year old son again this year. That should give you an idea of what I think of the unit.

Send me a PM if you draw and I can help you out with some more specific info.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-15 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]>Nathan,
>
>I met you guys in there
>last year. I heard Asker
>Mayberry(Border Patrol guy) packed it
>out for you with his
>mules.
>
>Two guys backpacked in there on
>the second rifle hunt and
>killed a bull on the
>last day or two of
>that season and they spent
>the two days after the
>season packing out the bull.
>They had to literally bust
>their butts going in 6
>miles and back out and
>they said they would never
>do that again.
>
>On the archery hunts we see
>many guys humping way in
>there and more often than
>not if they get a
>bull the meat either spoils
>or they just leave a
>lot of it and take
>the best cuts. Sad! Hunt
>closer to the road near
>the trail heads and you
>will kill bulls and be
>able to handle the hunt
>and the resulting pack out
>if you kill. You don't
>need to go way in
>as there are big bulls
>less than 3 miles from
>almost all trail heads.

That would have been me. Aster did help us out, saved us a pack back in. He wouldn't even take some gas money, had me take my wife out to a nice dinner instead. Really nice guy. Met lots of nice folks and received some help from many off MM.. I would agree, unless you have 3 or more, I wouldn't venture in during archery season more than 3 miles. In my experience 7 miles back in was more crowded than 2 miles in. Good luck to all in the draw. I'm also one that puts in for archery and never drew, put in for rifle last year and drew the first time. Although putting in for a bow hunt this year.

Congrats to whomever has the tag... It looks like they took down my outfitter experience thread in 2013. Do your homework if you hire an outfitter and packer. Send me a pm if you are considering and I can tell you whom to stay away from. San Francisco Outfitters is who I would recommend.

All my pre-planning seemed to pay off. I drew 16B first archery! A big thanks to those that offered opinions and advice!

>Congrats to whomever has the tag...
>It looks like they took
>down my outfitter experience thread
>in 2013. Do your homework
>if you hire an outfitter
>and packer. Send me a
>pm if you are considering
>and I can tell you
>whom to stay away from.
>San Francisco Outfitters is who
>I would recommend.

+1. Call Tom at San Francisco Outfitters.

>>Congrats to whomever has the tag...
>>It looks like they took
>>down my outfitter experience thread
>>in 2013. Do your homework
>>if you hire an outfitter
>>and packer. Send me a
>>pm if you are considering
>>and I can tell you
>>whom to stay away from.
>>San Francisco Outfitters is who
>>I would recommend.
>
>
>+1. Call Tom at San Francisco
>Outfitters.

+2,he could help get a pack out set up maybe,if he isn't too busy...lol Good guy. He at least knows who could and is reliable.

Yep, I've spoken with Mr. Klumker. Agreed, he is a good guy. My question now would be, what would the differences between the Gila and Aldo wildernesses be? Other than an obvious difference in size. I have areas picked out in both to scout over the summer. Thanks again. You guys have been generous with the help and opinions so far:)

Opening day there will be a lot of Guys walking in from the trailhead and they will be moving animals in deeper and deeper, I would look for a pinch point or a escape route that they will be using. Any pond close to the trailhead check for new tracks and wallows. So if you get in a couple of days early you will have a chance to see where they move.
You just might kill a big one close to the trailhead.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thank you hank4elk.

I was fortunate enough to draw rife tag for 16B.
I called Tom at San Francisco to learn that they all booked up.

Please help with any more recommendations.

Thanks a lot.

I suppose I will recap if anyone is interested.

I went on two scouting trips over the summer. Through some advice from some nice folks here, I had three locations to snoop around in. My first impressions were thinking that all stated opinions on terrain were true. A few trailhead so were located and marked on gps, so I could find them in the dark. I was excited about this new unit to say the least!

I did what I intended to do. Pack in 3-4 miles, set up a spike camp and hunt from there. My father was along for the hunt and did some scouting for me while I was out hunting my chosen areas. He also drove close to 1,000 miles to get to my house from MT, and another 300 down to B.

After one close call, hearing coyotes, bears and wolves fight over an elk carcass, close to 40 miles of hiking, rain, mud, heat, few elk seen or heard, and talking with fellow hunters here and there....I had a blast!

I came up empty handed in the elk department, but walked away with new memories and experiences that I hope to build on in future hunts. I am most appreciative of the time spent with dad....damn I love that old man!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom