16B Bull

SDBugler

Very Active Member
I just got back from my rifle hunt in 16B. It was a tough hunt (solo backpack hunt) but had a GREAT time. I was able to scout the week before the season and located a nice 7x8 360 class bull and watched him both Wed & Thurs nights before the opener. However, Friday night a pack of wolves came in and actually killed one of the cows out of the heard right in their bedding area and that was the end of seeing that herd.

I did find a nice 300 class 6x6 bull dead. If anyone shot this bull in one of the archery seasons, send me a PM with the approximate location and I will give you the GPS coordiantes of where I hung the rack up in a tree.

1382img_3971.jpg

On Tuesday of the hunt I had one of those memorable days when the elk really cooperate. I was in bugling bulls all day and it was a blast going from one bull/herd to the next. However, I was so far in and in such a nasty area that I told myself that I would only shoot a 350+ bull back in there. I passed on several 300 class bulls that day. Many of them at less than 30 yards.

Going into the final day, I told myself If I didn't shoot anything by 9:30, that I would head back to my camp and pack up and hike out early. If I hit the road by early afternoon I could drive the 24 hours home straight through and make it home in time to see my two sons' last cross country meet.

Well that plan didn't work out as I heard this bull make a VERY faint grunt off in the distance at about 9:10 and ended up shooting him at 9:20. It took the rest of the day Wednesday and all day Thursday to pack him out.

8471img_3973.jpg

9845img_3980.jpg

I had a great time on this hunt and ran into several great people from NM both in the field and at the trailhead. I have yet to run into any rude or inconsiderate people on my hunts in NM. Also, I commend the NMG&F for their great management of the game populations. Every hunt our family has been on in NM we have seen trophy class animals. NM has a great thing going.

Nice bull, ya did damn good packing that bull out all by yourself. I was their for the last week of archery, theirs no way I could have packed my bull out without horses it got pretty warm and my elk would have spoiled.

Brian you are doing it right. Way to go in solo and make it happen.
Done it a couple times, and some day would like to do it again. Bet that was a great feeling.

I finally had time to put a tape to him last night. I was guessing he was a 330 - 340 class bull.

I'm not a certified measurer but here is what I came up with - 328 1/2 gross.

2688sharpcopier@teamtsp.com_20131025_151752.jpg

Assuming 10.5" broken off his left main beam and a 3.5" fifth point on his left side to conservatively match his right side would put him at 342 1/2".

Every one of his points had the tips broken off (typical of all the NM bulls we have taken). I would conservativley estimate 6" - 10" of broken tips. That would have put him at a 350 class bull before going into the rut.

Regardless of what he scores I am very happy with him. My goal on this trip was 330+ and he is my best bull to date. He was definitly a fighter with broken antler and many scars/tears on his ears, face, and neck.

I'm headed to Colorado now for a 3rd season deer hunt. Hopefully I didn't use up all my luck on this bull.
Good luck to those of you who still have hunts.
Brian

Great story and bull. Hayden3004 and I have put in and never drawn this hunt. we are hoping to one day also DIY. great job doing it solo!

RE: 16B Bull (new pics added)

Thanks for the comments everyone.
I didn't use up all my luck as I was able to tag an OK buck on my Colorado hunt.
Not huge but he is the largest buck I seen in two weeks of scouting and hunting. I actually passed this buck on Wed night, Thur night, and Fri morning before deciding to harvest him Fri night on my last night that I could hunt.

459img_3981.jpg

Some live pics:

5840photo_2.jpg

9721photo_3.jpg

5713photo_4.jpg

Awesome, you are always getting it done. How many points required for that CO unit?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Teryn
It took a minimum of 3 points as a NR.

I wish I could have stayed and hunted the last two days (sat & sun). they were just starting to get rutty. Lesson learned - don't spend your vactation scouting before the 3rd season, use it AFTER the season to get back home so you can hunt the last couple days.

Or just settle for early retirement and not have to worry about vacation/work days!

That gets me excited for next year. I havent hunted Colorado for deer in years, but, theoretically, I should draw my unit next time around. Are you guys done for the year??

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom