16B dry conditions

buttwhacker

Friends and I drew 16B first archery season and are heading down that way a week from today for a few days of hiking/scouting prior to season. We will be backpacking in on foot, DIY hunt for the entire 10 days. I have been speaking to a few locals bi-weekly since we found out we drew this tag. Sounds as if things are extremely dry down there this year.

A few questions for those in the know: Is this year abnormally dry? I have heard that this is the normal monsoon season and with the exception of a very few small isolated showers, the monsoons have not hit yet. From years past, is there a good chance the rains will come in Sept.? I also have heard from locals and have seen a few others scouting posts that say the same thing, that most or all tanks are dry and the only available water is in the main forks of the Gila River and a few tribs. off the main forks. Can anyone tell me how much rain does it take for the tanks to fill up or at least hold water for a few days? I greatly appreciate any info.

Please PM @ [email protected] or feel free to call me at 308-383-6554. Thank you much.

Jay Leasure

yes it is very dry this summer, july monsoon basically non-existent. rains can come anytime thru september and one good rainstorm could fill up all those empty tanks and they could have water for many weeks.
16B is a good unit and I hear rumors or some real big bulls there this year. hunt hard and you often dont have to go 5 miles into the wilderness to find good bulls. if i were hunting the 1st season in 16B I would hope it doesn't rain and keeps the bulls localized around limited water..... find yourself some hidden spring and stick one of those big gila bulls before the rut scatters them all over.

Yes it is really dry this year. Last year there was water everywhere. We haven't had any rain to speak of in July or August, usually our two rainy months. It could rain in September, or anytime.
-- Bob

I have been down in 16a more than several times (just north of 16b). This year seems pretty much like last year (at least to me). It was dry last year as well....pretty much like the last 5 years or so. I will say there was one year down there - 2001 I think - we got hammered with rain so much it was just pure flooding everywhere. I sure hope that doesn't happen this year....then, again, I killed a dink of a bull then though....

Good luck with your hunt.

JBone

It was real dry a few weeks ago in 12 and 15.Locals say its too cold @ nite to get the rain,but looks it's coming.I hope.They say the elk will die this winter if it doesn't rain in next few weeks.Heading there to sign papers on my new home/ranch Monday,radar shows rain. El Nino is going to be big factor.Very green in places North,greener than normal.

Maxxbob1 it sounds as if you have a lot of insight into the 16b and 16c areas. I am from ND and will be hunting the late season gun hunt in 16c. Having read a couple posts you have made your first hand knowledge about that area would prove invaluable. Would you be willing to share your insights about several spots? I do have a few in mind...but would rather discuss them in a PM or over the phone. I have been studing maps, google earth, and combing the hunting sights for help considering I will hit the ground three days before the season to scout and try to get on one for opening day. If you would be willing to share insights with a northern First Time NM Elk Hunter it would be appreciated!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom