16c info

nmelkman

hey guys, i'm trying to find out some more info on 16c, i need to know some good places to camp, nearest gas, would fourwheelers be worth it, which end of the unit is better north vs south, any info would be greatly appreciated, i've already gained info from several of you on this site just hoping to gain a little more, never hurts to expand your knowledge thanks again

What are you hunting and when? If you're coming in from I-25 your last gas will probably be in Winston, but it's not 24 hour so plan on gassing up elsewhere if it's early or late. T or C is about ten miles south of where you exit the freeway (MM 89) if you are coming from the north or you can get gas 24 hours at MM 115. There are a lot of good areas in the unit for elk if that is what you are after, you may want to try near beaverhead, or the very south end of the unit near diamond creek has quite a few animals. There are also a suprising amount of elk later in the season out in the flats in the NE corner of the unit if you come in from Socorro and turn south at the VLA. Its quite a ways on a dirt road before you hit the unit and your last gas will be in Magdalena. A four wheeler might make it easier to get around but a truck can get you most anywhere in the unit (provided you stay on legal roads). As a general rule, the south end of the unit is rougher, steeper terrain, but as with most places in the Gila it can be pretty tricky just about anywhere and you should pay close attention to where you are as there generally aren't any huge peaks or other failsafe landmarks to use for navigation. Good luck, PM me if you have other questions.

Cory B

Bring a few extra gas tanks with you, as winston will be the easiest gas to access, but it still is about a 1 hour plus round trip to get there and back, so unless you want to be driving into town every couple of days, I would advise bring some 5 gallon containers. Quads are useful at times, but not necessary and remember the main road through the middle of the unit is paved, which restricts quad use to some degree.

T

OH and yes, I have have not found one place in the unit where there are not a few elk, so take your finger and point to a map, go there and hunt, you'll find somthing, but get ready to move, because I have never been in a unit, where the elk cover so much ground once on the move.
T

Thanks for the help guys, i'll be down there in december after a fat cow elk, i'll probably be coming in from socorro as i live in aztec

There should be plenty of elk in the open on the north end of the unit in December. Quite a bit of that is private but check the E-plus page on the G&F website for ranches with unit wide tags and call the contact to get info on their property. They are usually pretty helpful. Good Luck.

I spent a good chunk of my childhood living in Aztec and graduated from Aztec High in '98, we probably know each other if you've been there long.

Cory Burkett

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom