16D Elk

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Hey guys. So my wife and I were fortunate enough to draw 16D 1st season archery together this year. This will be my first time hunting a good unit in NM and my 4th elk hunt overall, though I've never tagged one. This will be my wife's first time on an elk hunt of any kind. I'm not asking for gouge on the area as far as where to find them as I know it's a good unit and I look forward to putting boots to ground on a couple scouting trips in order to make a plan. What I am curious about is what kind of bulls to expect and what size I should potentially pass early on in the hunt. I already know that I'm not likely to pass anything around 300 even if it's day 1. I would love to hear from you guys who've hunted there before and how your hunts went. I'd also love it if you guys would post pics of bulls taken in 16D. Still in shock that we drew this unit and can't wait! Thanks in advance.

Great draw I grew up down there my family had a ranch down there if you want to give me a call this weekend I can give you some really good info where to go I already have a blind built .

Andy 5053041118

Here's one from 16D that got left behind. Maybe they found a bigger one to shoot later!

IMG_20141129_080000_zpshawqfxno.jpg
[/URL]

Agreed. Found it during a December cow hunt last year. Wasn't more than 200 meters from a road in easy terrain. I was surprised it wasn't recovered.

Drew 2nd Archery for 16D this season. Blessed with the same tag last year as well. Can't believe I haven't won the Powerball yet. LOL

Very low traffic and easy to find an area to call your own. It was awesome.

Wow. I'd be sick to lose a bull that close to a road. Did you call the G&F and carry it out?

>Agreed. Found it during a December
>cow hunt last year. Wasn't
>more than 200 meters from
>a road in easy terrain.
>I was surprised it wasn't
>recovered.

I hunted 16D 2nd Archery last year. We got rain really hard every day. It was enough that there was running water in the bottom of almost every canyon. Be prepared for the monsoon!

Also, my GPS shows we hiked just over 65 miles during the season so be prepared to cover some ground chasing bugles.

A friend of mine guided me and I don't feel right giving away the information he shared with me so I can't be much help for locations. RIP buddy

Grizzly

Here is my well thought out advise in 16d. Get your map , cut out the unit, throw a dart. Start there!!! Imo 16d is the best unit in NM. We like the area SW of Eagle peak if you don't like plan A. Great hunt, your drew my tag?. Have a blast

No hard feelings Grizzly, I understand. Did you end up tagging a big bull? What sized bulls did you generally see? Already bought good rain gear and good tent in case it rains a lot again haha.

>I hunted 16D 2nd Archery last
>year. We got rain really
>hard every day. It was
>enough that there was running
>water in the bottom of
>almost every canyon. Be prepared
>for the monsoon!
>
>Also, my GPS shows we hiked
>just over 65 miles during
>the season so be prepared
>to cover some ground chasing
>bugles.
>
>A friend of mine guided me
>and I don't feel right
>giving away the information he
>shared with me so I
>can't be much help for
>locations. RIP buddy
>
>Grizzly

Thanks servehim. That advice cracked me up and got my wife excited to hear how highly you think of the unit. What sized bulls should I expect to try and hold out for? I don't think i'd pass a 300 anywhere right now but i've heard that with hard hunting, 330+ is very doable in this unit.

>Here is my well thought out
>advise in 16d. Get
>your map , cut out
>the unit, throw a dart.
>Start there!!! Imo
>16d is the best unit
>in NM. We
>like the area SW of
>Eagle peak if you don't
>like plan A. Great hunt,
>your drew my tag��. Have
>a blast

330" is very doable. You will without a doubt see 330" bulls. getting one is another story. I took a 329" last year in there and saw several between 330" and 360".

Yeah I saw your thread when I searched for info on 16D a little while ago. I think I PM'd you. Did you get it?

>330" is very doable. You will
>without a doubt see 330"
>bulls. getting one is another
>story. I took a 329"
>last year in there and
>saw several between 330" and
>360".

Ltsheets,

I've hunted part of it that borders 16A around Tularosa Mtn...no need to worry about 300" bulls. You'll see several much bigger than that. Was also in the area this spring and water seems to be abundant so early growth should be off to a great start. If that area receives a decent early rain and a good monsoon, there will be some more brutes running around.
That being said 1st archery can be rough depending on the year. They may be completely silent...in which case things get difficult. In any case, you drew a great hunt and will enjoy it no doubt. Good luck to both of you!

How big of a bull you should off for depends on how hard your willing to hunt. I personally would set my standards high the first week ( 350 class) and re-adjust as you near the end if things don't work out early .Great chance of sticking a Gila Monster .

>How big of a bull you
>should off for depends on
>how hard your willing to
>hunt. I personally would set
>my standards high the first
>week ( 350 class) and
>re-adjust as you near the
>end if things don't work
>out early .Great chance of
>sticking a Gila Monster .
>

Servehim plus one

This is just crazy. Setting my sights high is what I do b/c I know how great a tag this is. It's just difficult as my hunt last year I woulda been happy with a raghorn 4 where i was hunting in CO. I hope that if I'm seeing a lot of bulls that I'm able to pass a 300ish bull in the first few days should they present an opportunity. It will be very hard not to stick them!

Lt, I hear Ya man!! I let around 4 or 5 in the 300 inch bracket by me last September, and low and behold eventually the big boy stepped out.

Well that is promising! I guess it'll depend on how fast I'm able to tag a sheep on that hunt. If I get to hunt lost of the elk season I'll be more selective early...if the season gets cut short due to sheep, I'll be more trigger happy haha. Sounds like I also need to study up on field judging elk.

Study up my Freind... 95% of the guys hunting , when they see a 350 class bull will swear it's every bit of 400. A 350 bull is BIG... When you see a bull that their antlers look unnaturally large then your moving into the 350+ category.. A 300 bull looks normal in antler size, they are pretty and symmetrical when compared to their body size. Gila Monsters will take your breathe away. Get in shape and push as hard as you possibly can as you have a special tag.

I hear ya servehim. I've been starting to study how to field judge elk so that if i have the time to do so, I'll have a better idea of what the elk will actually score rather than just seeing a big rack and guessing how big they are.

Servehim nails it again, I've seen so many guys say I stuck a 350 and when you bust out a tape it's 295 lol. Not that a 300 bull is something to laugh at,that's a very respectable bull imo, but just a far away from 350.

Congrats on one of the best tags in the state!! I'm soo freaking jealous.
Kill a Gila Monster and share the pic's with us couch dwellers!

Was that you practicing your kayaking skills on the news??
They showed a couple of people kayaking in front of housing there at Cannon.
Regards
Foghorn

LT its your wife's first archery hunt so don't let her pass on a good solid 300 bull. Early season they should be talking by the 4th and progress as the weeks go on. I have hunted D many times and guided it as well. early season you will have to look in what i call the nasties to find the bigguns that early. Yes there are exceptions to the rule! I normal hunt them coming out of feed in the AM and work on solid ambush set ups and Water holes in the evenings. as the hunt gets later start moving away from the water hole hunts in the evenings as the elk become more active in the evenings. Text me for more info. 505-264-3534 my shifts are odd so please be patient for response.

I really appreciate the offer...text sent. Rest assured my wife won't be passing a 300ish bull. I doubt she'd pass anything that was near P&Y for that matter.

>LT its your wife's first archery
>hunt so don't let her
>pass on a good solid
>300 bull. Early season they
>should be talking by the
>4th and progress as the
>weeks go on. I have
>hunted D many times and
>guided it as well. early
>season you will have to
>look in what i call
>the nasties to find the
>bigguns that early. Yes there
>are exceptions to the rule!
>I normal hunt them coming
>out of feed in the
>AM and work on solid
>ambush set ups and Water
>holes in the evenings. as
>the hunt gets later start
>moving away from the water
>hole hunts in the evenings
>as the elk become more
>active in the evenings. Text
>me for more info. 505-264-3534
>my shifts are odd so
>please be patient for response.
>

LAST EDITED ON May-06-15 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-06-15 AT 09:10?PM (MST)

I'd take him up on his offer,no hesitation. The guy knows his stuff! Besides being a nice guy.....it times...LOL I've known JP awhile and have done some scouting /hunting with him.

Ltsheets, sorry for the slow response. I've been away from a computer for awhile.

I passed 3 bulls between 300-340 within 40 yards. Had a 370 at 72 yards but his cow busted me. Had two 400+ bulls at 80 yards but one busted me (he sneaked in on us while we were hiking and he saw us before we saw him) and the other never offered a shot and we couldn't catch him as he pushed his cows up the ridge. We kept trying to get in front of him, but the wind was bad and we had to play it safe. The second bull got killed by the same outfitter in a later season and scored 412.

Don't think it is an easy hunt though. 65 miles hiking in the same rain storm that washed out I-15 was a tough trip.

Grizzly

Wow that's incredible! Did you end up tagging out?

>Ltsheets, sorry for the slow response.
>I've been away from a
>computer for awhile.
>
>I passed 3 bulls between 300-340
>within 40 yards. Had a
>370 at 72 yards but
>his cow busted me. Had
>two 400+ bulls at 80
>yards but one busted me
>(he sneaked in on us
>while we were hiking and
>he saw us before we
>saw him) and the other
>never offered a shot and
>we couldn't catch him as
>he pushed his cows up
>the ridge. We kept trying
>to get in front of
>him, but the wind was
>bad and we had to
>play it safe. The second
>bull got killed by the
>same outfitter in a later
>season and scored 412.
>
>Don't think it is an easy
>hunt though. 65 miles hiking
>in the same rain storm
>that washed out I-15 was
>a tough trip.
>
>Grizzly

I committed my final days to the bull that we chased up the ridge early in the hunt (and later scored 412) because we had him patterned after a few days of watching him. I waited in the evenings for him to come out of his bed to feed on a south facing ridge, but he hung up until dark every time we tried to get him. He'd stay about 200 yards above us in the timber and scream, but he wouldn't feed down until after dark. I watched him through the timber, but knew there was no way I could sneak in on him and that I had to be patient. The season ended before I could get him. No regrets though.

Grizzly

Man Grizz, that's crazy! I can't wait to see the quality of bulls that unit will produce this yr. I can't wait to scout!

Lt, if I might add one other tidbit of advise....no doubt you will be practicing a lot with your bow . Spend a lot of time practicing judging distance , maybe it's just me and my style but rarely am I able to be in shooting situations where I can pull out my rangefinder and use it effectively. To misjudge a distance by 5-7 yrds can result in major heartache.i typically don't sit on water so Feild situations require practice on getting the distance right..Have a BLAST

I have a note taped to my bow. 1 Stay Calm. 2. Pick your Spot. 3. Follow Through. God if I could only practice what I preach. Lol

Shoot the first good bull you like. don't worry about score. Once you have 3 on the wall worry about the size. I know way too many guys that eat tag soup and finally give up as they only want the big ones.

My first elk was a calf. Great memories of the hunt. I have a 380 on the wall, and it is no better than a rag horn 3 point that sits under that bull, in my book, both great hunts with family and friends.

If I had a hunt with my wife, I'd shoot any elk that looked good with her by my side. That could be a once in a lifetime bull, no matter the size.

Great advice. Thanks.

>Shoot the first good bull you
>like. don't worry about
>score. Once you have
>3 on the wall worry
>about the size. I
>know way too many guys
>that eat tag soup and
>finally give up as they
>only want the big ones.
>
>
>My first elk was a calf.
> Great memories of the
>hunt. I have a
>380 on the wall, and
>it is no better than
>a rag horn 3 point
>that sits under that bull,
>in my book, both great
>hunts with family and friends.
>
>
>If I had a hunt with
>my wife, I'd shoot any
>elk that looked good with
>her by my side.
>That could be a once
>in a lifetime bull, no
>matter the size.

Sitting on water isn't a bad thing, If you can find a good tree and can get the climbing stand up high(15') Use decoy's around the tanks can help settle those bulls down as they come in. Hunt those thick trees during the heat of the day(bedding area's).
IF it is really hot weather all those elk will be coming to water, plan according to the weather.
Love hunting those Thick trees when it been raining it really quiet then.

Make sure your wife is taken care each and every day and you will have a great time and hunt, IF you don't your hunt will Really, REALLY suck. Good luck those guys have gave solid stuff to work with.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hadn't even thought about using a climber on a water hole. That's an interesting idea for sure and I'll have to keep an eye out for potential trees when I'm scouting.

Ltsheets, very active thread with a mountain of advise and words of wisdom from those who share your passion. Most important piece of wisdom was that of taking special care of your bride. You are fortunate to be in a situation where you have drawn a prime tag and the opportunity for that tag may never come again, but you need to put that 1st one on the wall. One thing I do know for sure is that your hunt will provide memories with you and your wife that will last a life time....every single hunt I've ever been on has unique and special memories. Cherish the special time and only minor at the size of bull that hits the ground. Make Memories.

I agree ServeHIM, I'm a little disappointed that she will only be able to join me for the last full 3 days of the season to hunt. I'm really hoping that I will be fortunate enough to tag out early on my sheep hunt and then also be able to put down a bull before she gets to camp. I want nothing more than to focus on her and do everything I can to help her tag an elk. This year when I was putting in for the draw, she wanted to attach to me for elk. Having had some very difficult (though few) elk hunts in my past, I wanted to only put in for units that would offer an incredible experience if drawn. I definitely focused on harder to draw hunts over better odds. The last thing I want is her to join me and get discouraged after one trip. I want her to get in there and see a lot of animals and I can't wait to see the expression on her face the first time she hears bulls bugling in the distance!!!

If she is fortunate to get in close to a bugling bull (big or small) she will be hooked for life. Pray the weather is good, last 3 days potentially could be the best. Spent a couple of hours yesterday going through maps of 16d with a good buddy of mine who drew the same tag.

That's my hope. I want her hooked! We are likely to only live out west for another 3-5 yrs before heading back to NC. I want her wanting to travel west every year for an elk hunt at the very least!

>If she is fortunate to get
>in close to a bugling
>bull (big or small) she
>will be hooked for life.
>Pray the weather is good,
>last 3 days potentially could
>be the best. Spent a
>couple of hours yesterday going
>through maps of 16d with
>a good buddy of mine
>who drew the same tag.
>

Random question...I know the roads historically can get bad out there. If I don't have an atv to use, do you guys recommend more than just sts all-terrain tires on my truck or can I get around well enough as is as long as there's no monsoon again.

>Random question...I know the roads historically
>can get bad out there.
>If I don't have an
>atv to use, do you
>guys recommend more than just
>sts all-terrain tires on my
>truck or can I get
>around well enough as is
>as long as there's no
>monsoon again.

You're gonna see the rain buddy that'd be a foe sure thing!! You should be fine, two yeArs ago I don't care batteries you had you were sunk.

I'm assuming that was supposed to say "I don't care what tires you had" and had nothing to do with batteries haha

>I'm assuming that was supposed to
>say "I don't care what
>tires you had" and had
>nothing to do with batteries
>haha

Yes,stupid smart phone lol

If it's muddy stay til it dries out.As stated not much will help.....cept maybe a Sat. phone,but your rig will be stuck.

Sound advice I'm sure. I'll take extra food haha. Just hope that we don't get stuck with the wife with me b/c she has to get back to work!

If the mud's really bad you can leave your rifle at home. The elk will be so stuck you just have to pick one, walk up to it and whack-it with a ball-peen hammer.

A little something to get the blood pumping. This guy is in 16D, picture taken on 6-20-2015. I have the 2nd season archery hunt in 16D this year, been down there just once so far, but what I saw was very promising. Should be a fantastic hunting season in The Gila this year.

95121stbull2.jpg

89651stbull4.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom