16D Help

bowelk

I am helping out a couple of my friends kids and taking them on a cow elk hunt Nov 30-Dec 2 in 16D. I have bowhunted this unit many times in the first of Sept and know it well. I have always spent all my time in there during early summer scouting until my hunt. I have never been in there that late in the season and after the pressure of all the hunts. So I am not sure if what I know will hold true that late in the year. If anyone has any expeirience in there during that time or hunted the late rifle hunts I would like to be able to ask a few questions about the elk and where they could be. I realize during Sept there isnt many places there you can go and not see elk but Im not sure if that will change that late in the year. Also one of the kids has a few physical issues that do not handicap him but do limit where I can get him into.

We also will be there for that hunt. My son and nephew have the tags. Kind of the same situation. We have been there in September but I know it will be be different this time of year. Any suggetions would be appreciated. We plan on camping around the Collins Park area. Thanks for any help.

WD

well, lets make that three of us now, lol...my 11 year old daughter has her first elk hunt the same time as the three mentioned above and my nephew in december...taking them seperately so i can focus my attention on one kid at a time for their first elk hunts...been out there in september but never this late in the season...any information to help make this a successful hunt for my two brats would be greatly appreciated...i am hoping they can see some animals and possibly even harvest one...there is nothing like the experience of watching a young one harvest an animal, the excitement they express is priceless...watching my daughters excitement of harvesting her antelope earlier in the year was definitely something i will remember forever...hoping to get more memories like that...thanks in advance for any information...

carlos

I hope the best for everyone and their kids. We had a big camp years back in 16D for anearly december cow hunt. We camped north of collins park a few miles. There were seven tags in camp and we came home with 6 cows after 4 days of hunting. 3 of the four were killed in a small meadow north and a little east of collins park, and the other cow was killed not far from our camp. If I remeber corectly there is a road that goes north through collins park and that road will take you to the meadow werewe seen elk everyday. There shouldnt be much trouble finding elk in 16D. It will be a good hunt and best of luck.

Hunt your September hot spots. There should be elk there still. The cows will typically be grouped up in larger groups.

A bull hunt this time of year might be tuff, but if you can't find cow elk in 16D, you need more help than I can offer you on a forum.

Good luck to all of you, and post up some success pics. Even cow elk pics are great, especially when it's a kid with an ear-to-ear grin.

Thanks for the input. Im glad to hear that there shouldnt be much change from the Sept hunts. Im just hoping its not a mad house with hunters everywhere.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom