17 hmr for a predator gun

M

MuleyRunner223

Do you guys think a 17 hmr will work for a coyote/ fox gun, if I'm using hollow points?

Not reliably - I have shot two coyotes with the 17 HMR and lost both of them because they traveled so far in thick cover. Need to step it up to a centerfire for reliable recovery.

Hey bc, not being accusitory just curious, what was the shot distance and placement? I've got the itch for savages new a17 and want to know how the caliber performs.

Both shots were behind the shoulder with distances of about 100 and 125 yards. One was on the edge of a corn field and it ran into the corn. I followed it quite a ways in and then called it. The other was in some brushy country and same song second verse. Similar results when shot with a .22.

When the furs are good I use a centerfire with FMJs and just plan on doing some sewing with the needle and dental floss.

The 17 is lots of fun on prairie dogs and rabbits.

No, not reliable for coyotes. Fox should be OK.

If I'm going to attempt to kill the animal, I want a clean, quick kill.

I've never owned a 17HMR, nor even shot one. My conclusion is based on many dozens of coyotes killed with my 22 Hornet, which is way more powerful than the 17HMR, with twice the bullet weight (45gr) and 10% more speed (2,875fps).

With the Hornet, my limit is about 100yds if they are facing me (typical calling situation) to about 150-175 if they are broadside.

Thanks for All of the comments and advice.

DW, The a17 would be a sweet little gun. I have the Savage 93R17 and it is very fast and accurate.

I was finally able to fondle a couple of em yesterday, first I've seen since they were introduced. I still read about feed issues with them online so I'm holding off on getting one for now. Part of me wants to start stockpiling ammo in anticipation!

I've shot quite a few with a hornet and about a dozen killed with a 22 mag which with the 30 grain vmax, which is a better killer than a 17hmr. My opinion: The 22 hornet is the minimum I would choose for killing coyotes over 50 yards, unless you don't care if they run off and die.

I agree beanman, the more I read on em the more I think they're a prairiedog/jackrabbit type round. Which I'm overrun with these days.

A disclaimer: I still use my 22 mag for coyotes behind my house. Ranges are short and it doesn't alert the neighbor(s) as much. Since the range is short I go for head shots which have proven to be more than satisfactory with a 30gr v-max going 2200fps.

Ever since they chewed up my dog behind the house I give them no quarter.

I recently purchased an A17 I have fired about 250 rounds through it at paper and ground squirrels in my neck of the woods. I have not had any feed issues the only complaint that I have is you have to be sure the mag is inserted completely because it can seem like it is then after the first shot it falls to the ground. That just took a couple of screw ups on my part to figure out. As far as for use on coyotes I have used my marlin for a few years now and have never had a problem taking them down as long as I do my part. Most of my shots have been 50-75yds with a few streching out to 100+. The biggest problem I see with 17hmr is the wind drift if I look at the weather and there is any sort of a breeze I opt to take my .223

Thanx Jake! What ammo were you using? What ammo have u found to be the most accurate out of it?

I have found the 17 HMR to be effective on foxes and coyotes to about 150 yards. The 20 grain JHP starts out about 2300-2350 and drops 10" at 200 yards. There is quite a difference in all my rifles between the 17 and 20 grain loads, with the heavier one being much more effective (and accurate too). Sometimes can be hard to find them, but definately worth the effort.

DW mine seems to shoot the CCI A17 ammo pretty well although to be honest I've never been picky on either rifle on what I shoot through it. I bought the BSA sweet 17 scope for both and it keeps it pretty accurate out at the different ranges so I run with that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom