1917 Enfield accuracy

out4elk

Question for those of you who shoot these that would be willing to help out.

I recently bought this rifle and it is in excellent shape. It has been years since I shot a 30-06 so I immediately went out to see how this old rifle shot.

I bought Remington 150gr factory bullets. At 25yds this rifle would consistantly group 3-4 rounds to the point of touching. The 25yd groups were 4 inches high. When I moved to 100 yds it was still shooting good groups but it was shooting 8-9 inches high.

Not counting the fold up elevation sight that has adjustments from 200-1600yds there is no elevation adjustment on the rear battle sight, best I can tell it is fixed.

I am assuming that the gun should be zeroed for 100yds

Now my question: What bullet weight was this gun designed to shoot to get things back to normal?

Is there any way to adjust the elevation on the rear battle sight?

This rifle, produced at Remington, Winchester and Eddystone, was an adaptation of the British .303 variety to the U.S. service round of 1906, then in current use with the Springfield '03 rifle--a wartime decision. The bullet was a pointed 150-gr round with a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps. and a cupro-nickel jacket. This was designed to be fired out of re-chambered '03 rifles that had a barrel length of 23.79 inches.
About 1923, cupro-nickel was obsoleted as a bullet jacket material because of fouling problems and gilding metal, composed of 90% copper and 10% zinc, was adopted.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom