1st antelope hunt in Wyoming

squirtdog

I would like to take my wife on her 1st antelope hunt next year in Wyoming. I was looking for information on where I should apply to. I would like to hunt public land and hopefully find somewhere that is not to hard to draw for. Any information would be appreciated.

Units 92,96,93 and 90 all have a lot of public land and a good population of antelope. The draw odds are fairly good too. These units are located in SW WY.

Odds for Wyoming residents are about 50% for drawing antelope in units 90, 92, 93, and 96 (based on 2003 results). For a non-resident the odds are a lot thinner: Unit 90 is 14%, Unit 92 is 13%, Unit 93 is 11%, and Unit 96 is 11%.

You could try Unit 24 or 23 which has a substantial chunk of public land in the form of Thunder Basin National Grasslands. These units have large numbers of permits allocated, and hence drawing odds are good for non-residents. The down side is that there may be large numbers of hunters in that Thunder Basin public land. One strategy would be to hunt late -- perhaps two weeks after the opening of the season -- and to hunt mid-week rather than the weekend. Alternately, some ranchers let you hunt on their properties for reasonable trespass fees. I hunted a property close to Gillette in Unit 23 this year and paid a $125 trespass fee to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom