1st Come First Serve

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
A good friend of mine said he talked to Nevada DOW and they told him that this what not available to non residents in 2023. True story?

If you watch the presentation they did on the changes, the presenter is asked for the ratio of turned in tags R/NR and she said it was 10 to 1 R vs NR. So the result is there will be virtually no NR tags available now which is why DOW told your friend that info. NR are not prohibited but chances of there being NR tags is slim.

A great change. Should have been designed this way from day one.
If you live there I see how could feel that way. What do you think about the secondary draw? Should they just leave those tags for sale to residents since they are left over from the resident pool? Currently they lump both R and NR in the same pool. Kinda like they did with FCFS last year.

There just trying to make money. I wish they would of changed the name, to what I don't know. First come first serve means to anyone. But I'm glad they are changing it to resident tags to residents.

I said this last year on this forum. Most hunters know if they're going to turn a tag back in, it's a matter of hunter ethics, turn it in early enough for an alternate to get the tag. Someone who's probably got alot of points. Ethics.

That’s an interesting perspective. But I think if a guy has until X date to turn it in, I don’t fault him for waiting till the last min. Ethics has got nothing to do with it….

I said this last year on this forum. Most hunters know if they're going to turn a tag back in, it's a matter of hunter ethics, turn it in early enough for an alternate to get the tag. Someone who's probably got alot of points. Ethics.
I know a guy that purposely waited until the last minute to turn in a tag that he knew he was going to turn in, solely for the purpose of denying anyone else the chance to get it, his reasoning, was they might get a buck he could get the following year. Totally BS, in my opinion, I think there should be a deadline so that someone else can use it,

I know a guy that purposely waited until the last minute to turn in a tag that he knew he was going to turn in, solely for the purpose of denying anyone else the chance to get it, his reasoning, was they might get a buck he could get the following year. Totally BS, in my opinion, I think there should be a deadline so that someone else can use it,
Eliminate the any reason for turning in a tag.

Death,medical military. That's it.

Don't intend to hunt the tag? Don't apply.

Eliminate the any reason for turning in a tag.

Death,medical military. That's it.

Don't intend to hunt the tag? Don't apply.
Love it. Still let the poor guy who breaks his leg the day before give it back. But any reason is bull crap. I have a buddy who wants to return his tag because "deer quality". Why did you put in for that tag to start then?

I believe turning in a tag at anything is fair. I turned a tag in Arizona for antelope a few years back. I did it just before the season started. I didn't have the time to scout previously because of work. But I luckily got time off and went and scouted the unit. I saw 0 antelope. I went on the arizona game web and used there, where to hunt, I got more time off and went before the season opened. Saw some antelope but not what the game department said there was. There was 2 seasons with 40 tags each and I didn't see that many total. The next year the 2nd season was eliminated and the tag allotment dropped. Glad I had that chance to drop that tag without a hassle.

I have never turned my tags in but as far as having a deadline is unreasonable and the idea of it being a ethics issue is crazy it's more a common courtesy issue. My wife a few years back got a alternate antelope tag 3 days before the season we were happy with the chance to go. So yes the sooner you turn it in the better but there are people just as happy with a last min tag than no tag.

It is not unreasonable for "any reason" to have a deadline, but for a good excuse, like injury, sickness, or something serious, then I agree you should be able to save your points. I have turned in 2 tags, one for a blown-out back prior to an elk hunt (with 19 points), the second was due to drawing a random elk tag in AZ on the exact same dates as an antelope hunt in Utah, and both were turned in the second I knew, the guy who got my elk tag killed a nice bull! not sure about the antelope hunt, but I called and notified them on that one the day I drew it, they told me I had to wait until I received it and then fill out a form and turn it in.

"First Come, First Served" does not fit the profile of the new system. It should be "Returned Resident/Returned NonResident" tags. They are dividing us at every turn, even when it comes to hunting.
It’s always been First Come First Served for tags you are eligible for. I’m on the waiting period for elk so I can’t get a returned elk tag. This change just means a non resident can’t get a resident tag from a pool that they are not eligible for???

Interesting that people jump right to the whole divided thing when things don’t go their way. I think Nevada residents are more than generous to share 10% of our tags when thousands of Nevadans sit home every year waiting to draw.
Hunting is great here because we make sacrifices. I encourage you to get involved and change the policies in your state to make things the way you want.
I never get mad about other states policies because I view myself as a guest that is fortunate for the opportunity to share their resources. ————SS

It’s always been First Come First Served for tags you are eligible for. I’m on the waiting period for elk so I can’t get a returned elk tag. This change just means a non resident can’t get a resident tag from a pool that they are not eligible for???

Interesting that people jump right to the whole divided thing when things don’t go their way. I think Nevada residents are more than generous to share 10% of our tags when thousands of Nevadans sit home every year waiting to draw.
Hunting is great here because we make sacrifices. I encourage you to get involved and change the policies in your state to make things the way you want.
I never get mad about other states policies because I view myself as a guest that is fortunate for the opportunity to share their resources. ————SS
SS —— we got a lot of work to do west of the Sierra’s The entire operation needs a overhaul from top to bottom. But I’m so thankful for my resident draw opportunities in CA - ?

I think they should offer Native Nevadan tags. Allocate 25% of tags available to people born in Nevada.

staring at my phone as many hours as I have since FCFS started I’m yet to actually have the chance to add a tag to my cart. The first year a tag started to load and it never did so I refreshed and of course it was gone. Only other time I’ve even seen a tag loading was again a minute ago and same story. Page was frozen for three minutes before I decided to refresh

It should start to pick up soon. Archery season for antelope and cow elk starts on the 1st of next month with mule deer archery following soon after on the 10th.

To the contrary, I've hunted Nevada nearly every year on some tag or another, one being a late season Deer tag i picked up off the First Come list..I'd say things have gone my way quite nicely. i do however still believe that in nearly every group there is some sort of division taking place that pits certain parts of those groups against the other. Just an observation that makes me long for the days when families could and would hunt/fish/recreate together and it was easy to do so.

I’m just saying I have had no luck even seeing a tag come up. I know people who have hunted more than one tag a year from FCFS alone each year.

Saw these two a few days ago...
Res Antelope Horns Longer Than Ears Tag Unit: 072, 074 - 075 • Archery • Aug 01, 2023 - Aug 21, 2023
7/24@740p

Res Antelope Horns Longer Than Ears Tag Unit: 041, 042 • Archery • Aug 01, 2023 - Aug 14, 2023
7/24@1123p

I added the date and time for reference.

A friend fast grabbed the later entry above and decided not to purchase so it would have been put back in within 24hrs I believe?

Here's the message he received...

You have been locked out

This account reached its cart limit of one (1) tag within the last 7 days and is currently paused from adding any additional tags until 7/31/23 11:22:53 PM. Accordance with Commission Regulation 22-02.

staring at my phone as many hours as I have since FCFS started I’m yet to actually have the chance to add a tag to my cart. The first year a tag started to load and it never did so I refreshed and of course it was gone. Only other time I’ve even seen a tag loading was again a minute ago and same story. Page was frozen for three minutes before I decided to refresh
And you just reduced your chances of getting a tag by bringing this post back to the top….

And you just reduced your chances of getting a tag by bringing this post back to the top….
Every time someone posts what they see that’s a google search result that hurts their chances (mostly mine). I have 6 deer points I am looking to burn when rifle tags post!! Shhhhhh

Because everyone forgot until i reminded them? Lucky for me I guess I’m a Nevada res and I have a tag to hunt. I wasn’t looking to pick one up just wanted to see one pop up so I know they’re real.

Because everyone forgot until i reminded them? Lucky for me I guess I’m a Nevada res and I have a tag to hunt. I wasn’t looking to pick one up just wanted to see one pop up so I know they’re real.
Ill admit that everyone that plays the game would eventually get on board but you just sped that up for people that don't pay attention or expend the effort.

I guess I understand it if you already have a tag and aren't really interested in picking up another.

People can disagree but Ive picked up a 241 archery buck tag, 221 elk archery tag, and a 115 lope tag by getting in early before so many people were watching.

Ill admit that everyone that plays the game would eventually get on board but you just sped that up for people that don't pay attention or expend the effort.

I guess I understand it if you already have a tag and aren't really interested in picking up another.

People can disagree but Ive picked up a 241 archery buck tag, 221 elk archery tag, and a 115 lope tag by getting in early before so many people were watching.
I don’t have a problem with it at all. It’s first come first serve. Good luck this season to you. Like I said I really just wanted to see one pop up

This is like waiting in line in elementary school for the warm pizza on Thursday...Everyone knows, many don't care. Telling everyone that it's going to be "Pizza" on Wednesday next week...they all KNOW!

Let it go, the thread moving up does nothing.

Can ALW show up at any time or closer to the seasons? So if was looking for a hunt in October would the FCFS tags show up in September more so than in August?

Can ALW show up at any time or closer to the seasons? So if was looking for a hunt in October would the FCFS tags show up in September more so than in August?
Typically closer to the season when a tag is returned with less than 14 days prior to the start of the season. They also state that tags not issued in the draws, or returned to NDOW with no eligible alternate are eligible as well but this generally never happens as all tags are typically taken or spoken for with alts.

The tag will appear for purchase on FCFS at a randomized time after the tag has been processed by NDOW.

I haven't been watching it like a hawk like last year but in the last week and a half, I have seen 1 archery deer tag pop up. (NR)

Been watching like a hawk and only seen an archery cow elk tag, which I bought. Pretty slim pickings for the NR, but that’s expected with the changes this year. At least I’ll be hunting in Nevada this month.

Somebody got a good one ... I refreshed multiple times, it sat there for a couple minutes at least. Too bad I'm out of leave due to recent events. Lol.

20230815_031734.jpg

Those are both great units. Alot of high scoring bucks come out of 022.
No doubt, I’d just like to stay a bit closer to home on short notice. I went 8 hours on 7 days notice the last time to a new area. Found a lot of high scoring bucks but come opening day, I settled due to time constraints.

I’m not even eligible, just getting the wife a tag.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom