1st Scouting Trip on my D-Ram Tag.

Well, it says the pix are too big for the server to post??

Same size as all my others.

I got just 1 now to post....

Oh, well,

Robb

IMG_0439.jpg

Thanks to 2Lumpy as a few years ago he posted about doing Potassium & Magnesium vitamin for cramps and muscles fatigue.

I still do them every other day in my vitamins.

For those of you that reached out to me about my placemats, the 3 Kid's are from Mnt. Evans in Colorado (yeah, I know they recently changed the name) I went thru Zazzle I think it was to have my pic turned into placemats.

Robb

IMG_0460.jpg

Sure, I chased a couple Pope and Young Rams with my bow and then the one I saw with the ewes and young Ram was certainly knocking on B & C quality. I spent 3 days in those steep and deep canyons but never turned him up again, other Rams, yes but not him.

I'm having a great time and memories for sure.

H-corn, I had my son in from Santa Monica and my daughter in from D.C. over Thanksgiving. Having both and the G-kids in town at the same time is very rare indeed.

Yes, retired since 12/2017.

This Monday I had outpatient skin cancer surgery, waiting to get the green light about no infection ect.

Having a sweet tag doesn't change life's needs.

Thanks,

Robb

Hey Thanks.

I spent most of last week in Jackson Hole recovering @ a cabin and my Dr. appt. on Friday gave me the green light to go hunt!!!

My pack shoulder straps are just about directly on top of both sides' surgery though....Fanny pack for sure.

I prepped some Sheep Camp meals yesterday.

I'm out of here in about an hour.

Robb

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

S-K-U-N-K-E-D!!!

Yup, I didn't harvest.

No Regrets ~~ but those of you I text know what I mean when I say that I would like just 1 Mulligan---->

I certainly want to say Thank You to all of you and to those from, M&M, Bowsite, WSF and friends that kept me supported thru text and voice messages.

I kept the 1 VM as it was so dang funny.

I will play it for the GF once she wakes up/ gets up this morning.

I don't feel that my age played in much as when ya spot-n-stalk in such open country ya need to go slow anyways!!

I'll be 70 in about 6 weeks/February.

I lost only 1 days of hunting due to injury/pain, after a bad fall in the shale and rocks, I never realized how hard it is to get back up when you are laying facing downhill on such a steep angle with cactus under ya!

I did a daily log off my GPS of milage and elevation gain, when I get a chance I'll do a tally-up.

When I started this thread back in July, I weighed the morning I left home, @ 186.7 and I weight this morning @ 177.4.

I dropped down 2 belt holes and my clothes that fit nicely now just hang off me basically!

After close to 40 days in Sheep country, 2 scouting trips and 2 hunting trips I aged like 10 years in appearance--haha damn wind and sun.

I'm still learning how to use my tripod Selfie set-up...

Anyways, Thanks again for all the support and posted comments.

I'll try and do a post hunt critique in the next few days even though NO Harvest! Dang it---->

Merry Christmas

Robb

FB_IMG_1444984111182.jpg

IMG_0833.JPG

MERRY CHRISTMAS Robb!

We Were Rootin For You Every Day!

You Gave Her HELL & That's All We Can Do!

Ya!

Falling Down Ain't No Fun In Our YOUNGER Years!:D

Glad You're OK!

That TAG SOUP Leaves A Bad Taste In A Hunters Mouth For A Long While!

But Any Hunter That Hunts Long Enough Will Experience That Taste A Time Or Two In His/Her Life!

It's Part Of Hunting!

I Know, No Solo Hunter That Tried Any Harder Than You Did!

Sometimes This Kinda Stuff Takes About 10-11 Months To Heal Up!:D

You'll Be Rippin & Tearin In 2024!

HAPPY NEW YEAR As Well!

Bummer. Finally got around to reading this thread. Was hoping for the happy ending Christmas ram grip and grin! Oh well, such is hunting. Sounds like it was a great adventure anyhow.

Robb
Merry Christmas,I would like to thank you for keeping us in the loop on your hunt,I also am a Traditional archer,Last winter you posted the story of you hunting coyotes up at Flaming Gorge with a stick bow ,you caught my interest.I have been following you on your Desert sheep adventure.I am pretty sure anyone that has looked at the post was rooting for you.It is plain to see that you were successful even though you did not harvest a Ram.Thanks again.
Mike

Last edited:
The Frank Sinatra song "I did it my way" sums this thread up for me. From the outset you made it clear you had an unconventional path you wanted to follow and you stayed true to your goal.
In the end we all wanted to see a cheezie grin and a big old ram pic and from your report you could have achieved that if you had chosen less of a challenge.
That said, this hunt wouldn't have been you if it had been done any other way.
Well done my friend. Thanks for bringing us along.

Dang man..I was hoping you'd get it done..can't think of anybody that worked any harder and stuck to their goal like you did.... don't always have to make a kill to have a successful hunt..congrats on giving it your all

Well, Thank You.

I hunted from the highest peaks/Towers down to the desert floor.

Sheep just about at any area most days.

I change out my customer rims and summer Toyo A/T's for my before going to Jackson Hole, stock rims and Toyo M/T's, man those things have a tread that hugs the road!

Robb

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Last edited:
This was my FAV area, and I would go up the right side in the 0-Dark-Thirty as I would put sheep to bed the night before type deal.

I damn near had bushwacked/hiked in and out enough to have a trail!!

Although bushwacking was challenging with all the different cactus ect.

Sheep would be feeding and then bedding in the top saddle above the cliffs and crags, too above timberline.
Here is a zoomed in photo of the area.

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if it was the Cattlemens Ass., or the DWR or some Conservation group but the springs and water sources were abundant.

I commissioned an artist up in Springdale~~Zions Park area, for an idea I had for a Desert Ram painting, Angels Landing with a Ram on top.

It turned our very nice and is the only Desert Ram I've got--dang it.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

To answer questions about lodging options, here is the link and ya don't pay the Airbnb fee this way.

Just do the Location drop down to see all her properties.

She is turning into a Vacation Rental Mogul!

Plus, she is a relator in the St. George area if any of ya are interested in property in that area.

Robb

IMG_0861.jpg

Sorry you didn’t tag out, I was rooting for you. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us and taking us along for the ride. Although you were solo you weren’t alone, there were a lot of people behind you in spirit. Hope you have a great 2024 season.

Thanks man.

I never heard a coyote howling not one and I never saw a single Wild Horse, which surprised me.

Robb

tuff outcome. But a fun experience sounds like.

Did you take photos of desert sheep during the hunt? Maybe missed them in the thread.

Hey thanks.

Early in the thread I had 2 other hunters reach out to me ans really wanted me to not put to many Ram pix on the thread as they have high points and it's a tough tag to draw.

So, I respect their request.

Plus, I wasn't scouting for the other 5 tag holders or the outfitters in the unit!! haha

Robb

Hey thanks.

Early in the thread I had 2 other hunters reach out to me ans really wanted me to not put to many Ram pix on the thread as they have high points and it's a tough tag to draw.

Plus, I wasn't scouting for the other 5 tag holders or the outfitters in the unit!! haha

Robb
Gotcha. Although sure makes a dry read seeing zero sheep. Always nice to glam it up with some animals. Not like people are gonna be drawing these tags in droves, it’s just the rare, rare lottery luck so hard to see why he wouldn’t share some of the joy of what you saw.

The hunt is over and tag opportunities are exceptionally few. It’s hard to imagine having not even mention what unit you’re in you could blow anything up for future hunters. Just seems you probably have some nice photos. It be great to see for a rare hunt.

Anyway, glad you had a good time

Last edited:
Hey thanks.

Robb
I respect you for keeping your word PD. Nothing in this world is worth more to a man than his personal honor, to himself.

Totally understand where your at with your hunt and post hunt position.

Like I said, total respect Robb.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom