1x scope. How far can you shoot

338BUCKNBULL

Looking for advice from those that have shot 1x scopes, because I never have. With a 3-9x I’m good to 300 yards. Is that too far with 1x or would open sights be better?

I have never tested my theory, but 1x and open sights both seem very similar for me out to about 150. The scope helps me a little bit from 150 to 200 because I tend to take a little longer before I shoot. I rarely shoot past 200 either way. I was pushing 300 on the range with a 3-9x.

I've never killed a deer past 125. In fact, in 2022, my buck was so close that a scope put me at a disadvantage. The 290 grain bore driver blew him apart from 40 yards.

20220930_104658.jpg

Put this tread in the Utah section of this forum as well and you will get more responses to your questions. Their is a lot of good opinions and knowledge on the subject if people can stay on track with their comments. Peep sights seen to be a popular option. I am putting my red dot back on my muzzleloader and calling it good. It never failed me so I am not going to try to reinvent the wheel in my world. From what I have been reading peep sight may give the greatest range out of all the options available now in Utah. I have never tried peep sights so I can’t comment on them. The post above is accurate from my knowledge with regard to open sights and 1x scopes. There are pros and cons to both but range is similar in my opinion.

My friend had 1x originall.

The front sight will eventually cover the whole target, while the crosshairs didn't.

I used a 1x for several years before nebraska changed their laws to allow higher power. With practice, I was comfortable to 150. My furthest shot on a deer with the 1x was 145 yards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom